Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 RGU with OEM wheels still on it. I have a buddy that is giving me his 17 RGS OEM wheels. Mine are 17" front 16" rear his are 19" front and 16" rear. Question is i should be able to swap them out right? No modifications needed?
Thanks.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just gotta make sure of abs. If his are for abs and yours aren’t, or vice versa, then it will not work. All you’d have to do to make them work is change the bearings. If both bikes have abs then it’s a strait swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, appreciate the quick response. Yes, both are ABS. I thought it would. Just better to ask; safe then sorry.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Just gotta make sure of abs. If his are for abs and yours aren’t, or vice versa, then it will not work. All you’d have to do to make them work is change the bearings. If both bikes have abs then it’s a strait swap.

Yeppers.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My first response is you'd be fine - BUT - if it were mine I'd check with the dealer just to verify the trim - an inch or two one way or another can change the handling - both are after 09 / new frame - but I'd still ask........

·
Registered
2,292 Posts

For an amateur like me, is it possible to explain why brakes would make a difference when changing tires? I'm just curious; if it's a real technical explanation, don't waste your time. Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
I actually just put a powdered rear from a 2012 onto my my 17 and it was a direct swap. Rotors and everything are the exact same except for wheel design.

·
Registered
927 Posts
For an amateur like me, is it possible to explain why brakes would make a difference when changing tires? I'm just curious; if it's a real technical explanation, don't waste your time. Thanks

It’s the bearing in the wheel that makes the difference, not the actual brakes. They have abs bearings and non abs bearings.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
you'll be fine.

with the stock harley wheels, the 16'', 17'', 18'' and 19'' all have virtually the same rolling diameter. this is due to each successive tire having a lower profile.

in the rear, the 18" is app. 3/8" taller overall. meaning that it would raise the rear of the bike about 3/16''. this of course is a moot point to you, just putting it in here in case someone else comes across this while doing a search.

·
Registered
290 Posts
To add to the reassurance, the official factory parts catalogue lists chromed versions of those OEM wheels as fitting 2017 and 2018 models. See here:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/knuckles-28-spoke-17-in-front-wheel

I studied this issue long and hard because - and there are very few of us on this planet, I am told - I love those 2010-2012 ''knuckles'' wheels. Especially when combined with a pinstripe whitewall tyre.

I dislike the FX style bigger skinny wheels on newer Sharks.... I'm a Shovelhead rider too and I think tourers need fatter wheels. as in all decades past.

So I just spent $600 (incl. shipping) getting a mint pair of dealership take-off knuckles wheels off a 2012 Ultra sent to me here in Australia. They are unobtanium used here, and new ones are stupid money. You gotta pay the dealership price of ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS EACH for the chrome upgrade version.

I will do a bearings check for ABS and then slap them on the M8 I am buying next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok, swapping 17 frt and rear wheels onto a 12, both have abs. Got the frt swapped, spacer in, abs sensor positioned correctly, torqued the axle nut, and the wheel wont turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts