Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Texans,

This is a bit of a long shot, but I'm going to ask it anyway. My Bro-in-law and I are planning a trip to Hill Country next month. We'd like to do mostly camping, with just a night or two in a hotel. I'm planning to use my camping hammock setup (hennessy hammock).

First question: Can you guys recommend some campgrounds, and do you know if they allow hammock camping? and if there are enough suitable trees to hang a hammock from?

Second question: This will be our first visit to Hill Country. We'll only have a few days down there. What shouldn't we miss?

Thanks guys. -Jay

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, trees in Texas?

I used to live in Wichita, now near Kerrville. I came down here annually for the weekend.

First off, stay off I35 south of Dallas. Come down US281 or TX16.

1. Go to Llano and eat lunch or dinner at Coopers BBQ.
2. Fredricksburg is a great shopping place for the Wife, and Lukenbach is just a few miles away, Have a beer under the big tree.
3. Once in the area, stop and get a free Biker road map. Ride the Three Sisters, 335, 336, 337, around Leakey (pronounced Lakey).
4. Call me and I'll ride with you.
5. Have a beer at Toucan Jims in Center Point, on TX27, about 10 miles from Kerrville.
6. Ride TX 16 from Fredricksburg to Kerrville to Medina, then head to Leakey.
7. Eat a good burger and see a nice old collection of motorcycles at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on 187 near Vanderpool.

Stay hydrated.

As for camping, I can offer you a safe place for a night, but dont know any campgrounds. In Fredricksburg, the Super 8 is a good safe place.

Other towns to ride through would be Sisterdale, Bandera, and Hunt.

Pm me for my phone number.

Greg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
516 Posts
Koyote Ranch

Last time I rode the hill country I stayed at Koyote Ranch. They have camping grounds and cabins... Very nice place with it's own store and gas station.. Google Koyote Ranch, they cater to bikers and it's an awesome place..

Make sure to ride the three sisters, good roads with great views, Just not a lot of places to stop out there..

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Recently a group of us stayed at Koyote Ranch. It's called something else now or is transitioning to being called something else, but am sure you can still find it. It actually lies right on 16 south of Kerrville. They have camping and have lots of trees. place has fuel, restaurant, showers, pool, jacuzzi, live music and tons of people to make new friends with. Rode_runr pretty much nailed all the spots that are a must and are very doable in the time frame you have.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, trees in Texas?

I used to live in Wichita, now near Kerrville. I came down here annually for the weekend.

First off, stay off I35 south of Dallas. Come down US281 or TX16.

1. Go to Llano and eat lunch or dinner at Coopers BBQ.
2. Fredricksburg is a great shopping place for the Wife, and Lukenbach is just a few miles away, Have a beer under the big tree.
3. Once in the area, stop and get a free Biker road map. Ride the Three Sisters, 335, 336, 337, around Leakey (pronounced Lakey).
4. Call me and I'll ride with you.
5. Have a beer at Toucan Jims in Center Point, on TX27, about 10 miles from Kerrville.
6. Ride TX 16 from Fredricksburg to Kerrville to Medina, then head to Leakey.
7. Eat a good burger and see a nice old collection of motorcycles at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on 187 near Vanderpool.

Stay hydrated.

As for camping, I can offer you a safe place for a night, but dont know any campgrounds. In Fredricksburg, the Super 8 is a good safe place.

Other towns to ride through would be Sisterdale, Bandera, and Hunt.

Pm me for my phone number.

Greg

Very cool. That's a good list. I'll send you a PM.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Koyote Ranch? How do you spell that? :D
With a Y and O of course!:p

Jay, here is a website that list motorcycle friendly places listed by state and most include some form of camping. http://www.touringdepot.com/mcfriendly.html

Let us know when you are coming down as there are a few of us thinking about doing another trip to the Hill Country as well but have not decided when yet. Even if we are not going at the same time you should try to stop by on your way thru the Dallas area.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Willow City Loop north of Fredricksburg, Luckenbach, Tx (Willie, Waylon and the Boys...), Alamo Springs Cafe (great burgers) south of Fredricksburg, Admiral Nimitz WWII museum in Fredricksburg, Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood near Austin, Hamilton Pool, .... Don't camp much since I live here but heard good things about Koyote Ranch as others have said and there are several state parks that are good camping as well..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I second the "staying at Kyote ranch" been there a couple times and its a pretty cool spot centrally located. Im just down the road in San Antonio so shoot me a message and I will come ride as well if my scooter is back up by then.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Definitely ride the Three Twisted Sisters, 335, 336, & 337! While in Leakey stop by the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop for a cold refreshing beverage and get your Three Sisters patch and T-shirt, you will have earned it! Koyote Ranch is definitely cool place to stay, great facility! Luckenbach also a must, get the photo op in front of the post office. Coopers BBQ in Llano, mmm...get the 2" thick pork chop (you pick it right off the pit) and finish it off with some cobbler!

While riding the Sisters watch out for deer, turkeys, giraffes, kangaroos, and other critters! Hope you have a great time, Hill country is always a favorite ride, so much to see and do. Enjoy, be safe, and post some pics when you get back!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Jay we stayed at the Best Western in Kerrville for a week a couple of years ago when we went down there. Very MC friendly. Three Twisted Sisters and the MC stop are a must. We stopped at the Koyote Ranch and it looked awesome. Hwy 16 out of Kerrville is a great ride. So is Hwy 39 south of Hunt. It runs along the Guadalupe River. Koyote Ranch would be a great place to camp and is right in the middle of everything. Plus you can ride 16 everyday.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If your into music plan on spending a night on 6th Street in Austin, lots of food there as well.

Ask the locals for a good Barbeque Joint, must have Brisket in Texas.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If your into music plan on spending a night on 6th Street in Austin, lots of food there as well.

As an Ex-Texas resident (Mckinney) IMHO Salt Lick in Austin is the best BBQ in Texas and Black's BBQ in Lockhart is a close second...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Others have pretty much nailed it for you. Watch out for free roaming cattle on many of the roads. Blanco river road 1623-1888 from blanco to luckenbach is good, fast sweepers. Also you might check out little blanco road to crabapple road. Single lane, very scenic, lots of river crossings. If you go to coopers on the weekend get there before 11 or the line is around the building and definitely get the chop as others have said. The ranch roads from fredericksburg to llano are good. Some good roads west of enchanted rock. If you get up towards Austin check out hamilton pool. You can see more on their website. Get there by 8:30 or you won't get in the park. Garner state park has good camping. One more vote for koyote ranch.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
http://www.koyoteranch.com/

I camped at the Koyote (that's how they spell it) Ranch for the Texas M&G for about $20/night. The kabins (also how they spell it) are nice, but outrageously priced IMNSHO. Koyote is in the middle of everything and I would definitely camp there again. There are plenty of full trees to tie a hammock. They were also building pads back in April for hard wall tents to rent.

By all means, keep us Texans posted if you're heading down. It's about 5 hours (scenic route) or 3.5 hours to Kerrville from me in Dallas. I have spare rooms, tools, a lift, etc. if you need a place to crash on the way.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'll second the Salt Lick BBQ and I ain't even from Texas.

I'll be passing through there in November headed back from Idaho/ Utah. Not sure which route nor how much time I'll have but plan to run the three sisters.

·
Registered
198 Posts

there is a spot right there on the main street in Bandera called Bisbee's BBQ, always a must stop when im out that way. Im a huge fan of smoked turkey and brisket. Havent had a bad experiance yet.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g55439-d590349-Reviews-Busbee_s_Bar_B_Que-Bandera_Texas.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts