Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to have some chrome powdercoated and just curious to how the front and rear running/blinkers remove to be powdercoated. I'm assuming they need to be gutted so that just the housing is sent to be coated.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Back ones have 2 nuts... I think 7/16 ... can be reached with 1/4" drive socket from underneath. I've done it.

Fronts are attached to outer faring.
Remove windshield and top vent pops out
Unplug blinker connectors on each side once you remove the vent
Remove 2 bolts from blinkers.
Remove 2 lower bolts on rear of bottom faring behind little wind deflectors
Remove the outer faring and then remove the blinkers and wiring from out faring

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back ones have 2 nuts... I think 7/16 ... can be reached with 1/4" drive socket from underneath. I've done it.

Fronts are attached to outer faring.
Remove windshield and top vent pops out
Unplug blinker connectors on each side once you remove the vent
Remove 2 bolts from blinkers.
Remove 2 lower bolts on rear of bottom faring behind little wind deflectors
Remove the outer faring and then remove the blinkers and wiring from out faring

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk
Can someone tell me how you get the guts and wiring out of the light housing? Also, I've got the 2 bolts are removed from the rear light but can't figure out how the wiring comes out so the housing is fully detached from the bike.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Can someone tell me how you get the guts and wiring out of the light housing? Also, I've got the 2 bolts are removed from the rear light but can't figure out how the wiring comes out so the housing is fully detached from the bike.
Sorry can't help you there.. haven't done it yet myself....

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry can't help you there.. haven't done it yet myself....
I now have the light housing off. Now it's figured out these guts

·
Registered
983 Posts
I haven't gutted the rears because I changed mine out for the HD LED bar. On the fronts you have to pop the lenses of by finding the small slot in the lens. Then you have to carefully pry the innards out. If I remember right, you can use a small punch or screwdriver to kind've push them out from the back side, but do it carefully so you don't knick or break the wiring. I think there is a youtube video or a post on this forum on how to do it. Try the forum search function and you should be able to find it.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
983 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks, that's helpful . Starting to think maybe I'll just Plasti dip all the pieces and save the 400 powder coat tab...
Wow, that's some expensive powdercoating! I think my guy charged like $15- $20 to do the front signals in gloss black. I had him do a bunch of other stuff too, like the crash bar, saddlebag guards, fork lowers, etc. I also had him ceramic coat my mufflers & I think that bill came in at $150.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that's helpful . Starting to think maybe I'll just Plasti dip all the pieces and save the 400 powder coat tab...
Wow, that's some expensive powdercoating! I think my guy charged like $15- $20 to do the front signals in gloss black. I had him do a bunch of other stuff too, like the crash bar, saddlebag guards, fork lowers, etc. I also had him ceramic coat my mufflers & I think that bill came in at $150.
Lil Chief
Yea that's what I thought when he quoted me!

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You have to pull the turn signals then with the lens off and the bulb pulled out you take a small flatblade screwdriver and pry the rubber out of the turn signal housing and then fish the wires out through the front of the housing. It's easy to do but I found it harder to put the rubber back in then it is to take it out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have to pull the turn signals then with the lens off and the bulb pulled out you take a small flatblade screwdriver and pry the rubber out of the turn signal housing and then fish the wires out through the front of the housing. It's easy to do but I found it harder to put the rubber back in then it is to take it out.
Putting it back together is always my problem! I can tear shit apart with no problems.. I'm just gonna Plasti dip them for the time being. That way I don't have to disassemble any further.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Let us know how it turn out and pictures please. Was going to do this next winter, but if works out with plastidip, may go that route with the turn signals and rear light bar. Especially if it holds up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You may want to shop around for a powder-coater. Ask one of the local independent shops who they use or maybe even one of the dealerships. I got 35 pieces done for about $140, that included the front and rear turn signals(I had to gut them). The price will depend on what parts are being done and how much prep they have to do. These are all the parts I got done in my first round.
Attached is the "tool" I made to remove the reflector.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may want to shop around for a powder-coater. Ask one of the local independent shops who they use or maybe even one of the dealerships. I got 35 pieces done for about $140, that included the front and rear turn signals(I had to gut them). The price will depend on what parts are being done and how much prep they have to do. These are all the parts I got done in my first round.
That's more the price I was thinking when I pulled all these parts. Im getting a few quotes now from other coaters. I would prefer to do powder just so that it's a one time and done type of thing..

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who did your powder coating? May see if they would let me ship to them if I can't find anyone better around my house

·
Registered
93 Posts
Who did your powder coating? May see if they would let me ship to them if I can't find anyone better around my house
I used a guy a few years back in Chicago that I heard about on another forum, the shipping was almost as much as the work because it has to be shipped twice. Just keep that in mind.
I found this place through word of mouth, talking to guys at a local indy shop and some other riders. I took a few pieces from another bike to them a while ago, it was inexpensive and turned out great.

Arizona Powdercoat 602-220-0553

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Let us know how it turn out and pictures please. Was going to do this next winter, but if works out with plastidip, may go that route with the turn signals and rear light bar. Especially if it holds up.
Plasti Dip is a great product and it holds up very well.

Before I had all my parts powdercoated, I used Plasti Dip and Glossifier on my rims and forks.

Just do a search under Plasti Dip and you will find some good information.

Swomack

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used a guy a few years back in Chicago that I heard about on another forum, the shipping was almost as much as the work because it has to be shipped twice. Just keep that in mind.
I found this place through word of mouth, talking to guys at a local indy shop and some other riders. I took a few pieces from another bike to them a while ago, it was inexpensive and turned out great.
Arizona Powdercoat 602-220-0553
Thanks, I work in a commercial shipping business so I get freight shipped on the DL. Around 1/4 of normal price

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I finally found a guy to powdercoat all my pieces for a good price. Everyone in my parts wanted from 4-500! I got the guts out today and delivering them tommorw to coater. Said he would turn them around in a week. Hopefully I'll have it all ready to ride by next weekend

1 - 20 of 23 Posts