Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, This is gonna sound stupid but here goes.

'05 FLTRI, 100k+ miles....original stock audio system except for the Hog Tunes speakers (which work great)....no other electrical upgrades or ad ons.

Bike starts and runs great.....occasionally, when I shift into first.....that hard "clunk"......the radio will shut down for 2-3 seconds.......then sometimes as I shift through the gears going down the road I will get the same thing.

I am thinking a bad connection or a bad ground.......I'm not sure where the grounds are or how many there are on the bike.

Anyone know where the grounds are that I should check?

It doesn't do it all the time......but it seems like it is becoming more frequent as times goes on........

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Does the radio and speakers completely turn off or just the display? My radio display turns off on occasion but the radio still plays. This is what gave me the "justification" to upgrade to aftermarket equipment.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had a similar problem last summer. Radio would cycle off and on occasionally while riding. I pulled the faring and main fuse and reseated all the connecters to the radio, XM, wiring harnesses, etc. Didn't find any problems. Buttoned it up and problem gone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The radio and speakers cut out completely, the display stays lit but it is blank.....only lasts a few seconds.

The fairing has been off dozens of times.....doesn't seem to make a difference......not sure of the fuse......I've had the "main" fuse out several times for various reasons. By "main" fuse, Are you referring to the 40amp fuse under the left side panel?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yes, the 40 amp fuse is what the service manual refers to as the Main fuse. It has nothing to do with your problem but it's a good habit to pull it while doing electrical mods or checking connections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts