Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New thing happened today. I installed a Radio Shack alarm sometime back(11 RGU) and it's worked fine so far. Rode today and left bike in driveway to cool. Went out later to move into garage and the alarm went off. Switched fobs, same result. First assumed alarm was malfunctioning so disconnected it. Same problem with factory (flasher alarm). Went thru the drill to use/reset pin all to no avail. Then disarmed and bike will start now. Reconnected Radio Shack alarm and it seems to be working normally now. What's going on? Also, I guess a disarm only works for 1 cycle? In other words, once you take away the fob it arms again? If this keeps up I'll have to find a way to disarm it permanently? As always, thanks in advance for any help on this. I'm planning some touring for this year and this will be really annoying if it keeps happening.

Thanks again,
R0ckie - 2011 RGU

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
yes, it is only disarmed for one cycle. once you shut it down, it automatically re-arms again.

sounds like what you had going on was some rf interference. the rs alarm had nothing to do with it, it is only an audible interface. it is well downstream of everything else.

if it happens again, try using the override code. one thing i've found, though. if you can't get the code to input properly, take your fob about 15 feet away. if you have intermittent interference, it may be blocking your bike from starting, but it is also 'interrupting' your override input. move the fob, should enter fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Whens the last time you switched FOB batteries? If they are getting low they can cause all sort of havoc with your electrical system. If that is not an issue, then I'd next look at Battery cable connections at both ends, just not at the battery. Make sure they are tight and clean. Lastly, get you battery load tested to make sure it's good. If you have the original battery it's 4 years old an may be going out. Weak, dying batteries also cause strange electrical issues.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radio Shack alarm

Hey, Skratch, Thanks for the help. That interference thing could be an issue - I saw something on that in another thread. Thanks for the tip on moving the fob away. I did have a little trouble getting the override to work but it finallyt went.

·
Registered
205 Posts
+2 on checking the battery's. If you have a multimeter or access to one the magic number on the fob battery is 2.7v when things start acting up. Or is bike was not on a charger over winter. No Magic number but 12.7v or higher you should be fine. Interference, have not experienced that just read about it. Has always been a battery issue for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.