Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I installed the Alpine 149BT and PN4.520. The amp keeps going into protection mode...
12v from batt is good, ground seems good as well. I'm using RCA, and the remote (blue/white) wire from Alpine for RemoteIn on the amp. What is happeing is when the blue/white wire is connected to amp, it goes into protection mode. I've tried using the CIG+ as well for the remote turn on and the same thing. Any ideas as to what is going on..... Speaker outputs from the Alpine do work.

I also have the BT1005x if that matters... Yellow-yellow for battery, red-red for ignition, black-black

The radio and amp were both working before adding the BT1005 and installing the radio into the fairing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok, I installed the Alpine 149BT and PN4.520. The amp keeps going into protection mode...
12v from batt is good, ground seems good as well. I'm using RCA, and the remote (blue/white) wire from Alpine for RemoteIn on the amp. What is happeing is when the blue/white wire is connected to amp, it goes into protection mode. I've tried using the CIG+ as well for the remote turn on and the same thing. Any ideas as to what is going on..... Speaker outputs from the Alpine do work.

I also have the BT1005x if that matters... Yellow-yellow for battery, red-red for ignition, black-black

The radio and amp were both working before adding the BT1005 and installing the radio into the fairing.
Where are you grounding this system to?

-G

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grounding it to one of the fairing bracket bolts, right under the radio.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's two things I can think of you might wanna check... Firstly, that HU has a power setting that's user definable. I would check that setting per your manual for your specific setup and make sure it's right. All that does is to make sure if you are not using the internal power amp section of the HU, it turns off the speaker-level outputs. Ground fault issues can be caused by that in some cases. Then the other thing to try is that your HU also has a power antenna turn on lead. Have you tried that to see if it will power up the amp without triggering a ground fault? Either way, something is triggering ground fault protection. Where is your ground wire from the amp grounded to? Usually, you want the ground wire to be as short as possible...however, it might need to be grounded directly to the battery for the best overall connection. Just throwing out ideas for you to check off the top of my head...

Sorry if that's not much help. Good luck.

BLESSINGS!
Sam

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you find the problem? What was it? That grounding point on the fairing wasn't a good enough ground?
Yep, the fairing bracket isn't a good ground. I'm tempted to try a couple external tooth lock washers, but I have the feeling I'm going to need to pull a separate ground wire. I confirmed it's ground by running a temp wire from batt(-) to the amp(-) and it worked.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yep, the fairing bracket isn't a good ground. I'm tempted to try a couple external tooth lock washers, but I have the feeling I'm going to need to pull a separate ground wire. I confirmed it's ground by running a temp wire from batt(-) to the amp(-) and it worked.
Here is an attempt..

Run ground to the front tank mount. I checked that, it's dead frame. Should be fine, and not a long run... Test that, and give me your mileage, I'm planning on doing that in the morning. :)

-G

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, thought so! I just fought the same battle!!! That forward mount isn't a good ground!! I get a 6v difference between my amp and the fairing ground and 12v between my amp and the frame...

Ground issues SUCK!

-G
I was getting about the same, about a 6.5v difference... I spent 3 hours dicking with it too.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You and me both!!! Well that's 7 hours we won't get back! Well, I'm taking them later this week when it's finally 70!

-G
That does suck!

I'm looking forward to the nice weather! I've got over 500 on so far, and over 400 of it was all below 40! Should be a nice weekend for the flood run! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
That does suck!

I'm looking forward to the nice weather! I've got over 500 on so far, and over 400 of it was all below 40! Should be a nice weekend for the flood run! :)
I'm hoping as well! I plan on going on it! Can't wait.. It's been a year or so before I've been able to attend it!

-G

·
Registered
376 Posts
I installed my new HU before tearing my bike apart for paint and the amp was showing on, but I was getting no sound. Turned out it was a ground issue and the amp don't have a fault light.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I installed my new HU before tearing my bike apart for paint and the amp was showing on, but I was getting no sound. Turned out it was a ground issue and the amp don't have a fault light.
Well, what I ended up doing is grounding the Fairing mount. :) I had a long black wire from a prior install, ran that from the batt (-) to one of the bolts in the fairing.. BOOM SON! Full ground!

Now all power up!! And I just now got the fairing back on, and I'm ready to ride!

-G

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha. I ended up doing the same thing! Had just enough leftover wire for the job! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts