Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for over the boot rain covers? I am gearing up for more long distance riding this year and hate to put wet boots on in the morning after a hard rain and out on the road. Ideally something that allows air to get to your feet but not rain. What you guys using? Yeah I know about zip lock bags and trash bags. Not looking to go cheap just want something that works and holds up. Oh yeah size 11.5.

·
Super Moderator
12,753 Posts
The covers they sell at your local Harley dealer work just fine, I've had mine for almost 6 years now, have used them several times, and they are just now showing signs of wear. Also I see them on ebay from Tourmaster, I would be careful to make sure the ones you buy have a partial soul and not be just covers. There are a lot of cheap ones out there that don't last long if you don't take them off right away before you walk in them.

·
Administrator
11,410 Posts
I gots the Harley ones , they are Large , I shudda got XL , but they still fit over my boots ( 10 ish ) ..

They have a partial sole that the front of your boots slip over , and Velcro up the sides

Whenever we catch up , remind me and I'll show em to ya , they stay in the baggs

JtB

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen several on ebay but many from China or Hong Kong and want something that will last.

·
Super Moderator
12,753 Posts
I've seen several on ebay but many from China or Hong Kong and want something that will last.
That's why I mentioned Tourmaster, I know they are good also, I have friends with them, they don't have the same rubber sole as the HD brand, but are sturdy and have a cut out for the heel. They cost about 1/2 price of the HD, but IMO the HD is better, and as they say sometimes, you get what you pay for, I'm very happy with the HD.

·
Registered
454 Posts
All my friends use the aforementioned Hd rainboots. I just use Campdry to seal my boots every riding season. It's not perfect but they dry out the next morning.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
26 Posts
The boot covers work, but it pretty much sucks if you have walk while wearing 'em.

Get yourself a set of goretex boots. They're always waterproof, so it's one less thing you've gotta take off/put on every time the rain starts or stops.

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Can't tell from the pictures in the link but do these have a full soul or is it cut out for your heel? How about sizing? Do they run big? Thanks for all the info.
They do have a complete rubber sole. I don't recall on the sizes ordered and we are out of town and can't check but they fit nicely over the boots and have straps and Velcro for closure that work well.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
subscribed, needing a set, the harley ones seem like the most durable

I like the heel out option

also remember to walk away from the bike if you have to stop at an underpass, we had a group of 5 bikers killed this last year in Lexington, because they all stayed with the bikes.. rather than walk a few feet away

I wear a desert combat boot, sole is 13" long

·
Registered
309 Posts
Gators

I wore a pair of the HD gators until I got tired of stopping and putting on rain gear. Now I have a pair of gore-tex boots, 3 different gore-tex jackets, and looking for a pair of gore-tex riding pants so I never have to stop when the rain comes. IMHO, lowers are the best rain/ weather protection, I never remove them, function over form...T

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going to try on the HD covers today. I'm hesitant to order online without trying something on for fit purposes. I have tried Gortex boots but they were all hot as hell. Soft lowers is something I am considering also. Wish I could try on the Frog Togs. I have used their product before and like the fact that it light and breathable.

·
Administrator
11,410 Posts
Drew , I've got a set of the HD soft lowers around here somewhere , they are yours if you want them ..

I don't see where the hard lowers help keep you dry , when I get caught in the rain my lower legs get soaked before anything else .

Actually my suit is an anti rain suit ..

If it looks like rain and I put the suit on , no rain ..

Looks like rain and don't put it on , I get soaked ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Jack. I will give them a try if you dig them out holler at me. I've done trash bags and grocery sacks before. They tend to shred and end up melted on a pipe or motor. Tried on the HD ones today but going to wait till I find the boots I want and try them again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Bates

Why don't you just buy a pair of Bates boots? They are waterproof and comfortable.

Any recommendations for over the boot rain covers? I am gearing up for more long distance riding this year and hate to put wet boots on in the morning after a hard rain and out on the road. Ideally something that allows air to get to your feet but not rain. What you guys using? Yeah I know about zip lock bags and trash bags. Not looking to go cheap just want something that works and holds up. Oh yeah size 11.5.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gore-Tex Pants

I wore a pair of the HD gators until I got tired of stopping and putting on rain gear. Now I have a pair of gore-tex boots, 3 different gore-tex jackets, and looking for a pair of gore-tex riding pants so I never have to stop when the rain comes. IMHO, lowers are the best rain/ weather protection, I never remove them, function over form...T
I have a pair of Gore-Tex pants that came from LL Bean. They are great to ride in for cold as well as wet weather. The also have a built in pair of spats so water won't go up your leg or into your boots.
The are not motorcycle pants but function well for that purpose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts