Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Sunday I rode from Florida City FL to Orlando FL at about 5 am. Beautiful ride on the way there but not so much on the way back. It wasa bout 6 pm and I was loading the bike up when I heard that horrible sound...thunder. I started to ride and no kidding...ride in the rain from 20 mins on I-95 all the way to Miami. It was not just a sprinkle. It was the rain where you focus on the flasher of the car in front of you and just hold on...that type. The wind was really going and there was lightening everywhere. It was really cool to see the lightening but I was tired as hell when I got to the house. The wind whipped me around like a rog doll the whole way. Yes I know...I should have pulled over but it was not that easy. The rain was getting worse and I was in front of the section that was more severe! I had to ride to stay out of the bad part so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I did clock a 600 mile day though so that's not too bad!

Let's hear your story!

·
Registered
27 Posts
11 1/2 hours of solid pouring rain through a tropical storm from about an hour past Boynton Beach to Gainesville Fl. Cutting through 3-4 inches of water on the turnpike and stopped for the night there. Next morning, same thing all the way to Dothan Alabama, in fact, had to pull under the motel awning just to load the bike. Tough to stay focused and you have to go to that happy place in your mind to keep it from getting to you. Toughest we ever had to go through.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Spent a whole week in rain. I planned for a trip for about 4 months in advance to ride thru Arkansas. I spent 8 days on the road and only about 1400 miles, but 1000 of those miles was in rain and on average about 50 degree weather. Couldn't cancel my lodging arrangments and honestly I didn't know that weather was coming. Nor did the locals actually. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rain has a way of making a hard man soft really fast. You step out and think..."Oh it's just a little rain." Yeah well when that little rain hits you at 55 mph it's not so harmless. Glad you all made it ok!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Oh yeah I planned a trip to Louisiana last year I made sure and checked the weather and it was a go. Yep till I hit the other side of Dallas and then it rained off and on the whole 4 days till I got back to Oklahoma but I had fun anyway

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I rode to Vicksburg MS last Sunday 14 July and hit thunder storms in NC, GA, AL and MS each lasting anywhere from 20-45 minutes. At times I really had to slow to about 20 miles an hour just so I could see and the one in AL had to stop due to the hail. I've had rides with rain lasting up to four hours of a ride but never as hards as it was last week.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Last year went to Ark. for the BBB festival and going was okay nice weather. When we got their it started getting cloudy and raining. We were able to ride 3 days but on the way home it rained all the way back to Houston. 10 hours of being wet is no fun.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
2010 Daytona rally. Dallas to Daytona rained the whole GD way and most of the way back, highest temp was about 42 degrees.

·
Registered
605 Posts
This year in April, coming back from north Carolina 2 days of off and on at times so bad we had to stop because you could not see and the high was 50. This is my buddy his wife and my wife, looked like kids going out to play in the snow, this was in Jacksonville, FL.

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
In 03' I rode to the east coast from Oregon in late August. We took our time (10 days) getting there, and had 8 days of rain. It did not rain solid but enough to wear your rain gear all day, every day. Last year coming home from the love ride I probably had 250 miles out of the last 500 in rain. Missed two hailstorms though!

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Back in 06 i went up to canada on a super glide. A bout an hour or so before we got to our hotel we got nailed coming down the highway by a torential down pour. I could barely see the handle bars thats how bad it was. Riding in the rain absolutely sucks. It takes the enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Same thing happen to us Saturday coming back from Jacksonville AL and it rained until we got to talladega had flashers on and it was the big fat rain. i useing the small stock windshield right now so it was not fun but we made it. a few times we thought is was haling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was on a ride that passed through the pacific northwest in June of 2011. It started raining just west of Reno and rained more often than not for the next four days. Through northern California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and into western Montana. Even got snowed on a few times when the elevation was high enough - the photo was shot on Mt. Rainer:

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
150 miles, 58 degrees, light to hard rains..Coming back from Patriot Guard gathering when it was in Steeleville MO. Few short trips, 30-50 miles, upper thirties, that really sukked.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
My longest continual rain ride was from Grand Forks, ND to Kansas City in the summer of 2008. It rained solid, cats and dogs hard for 7 hours of the 11 hour ride. I was riding my GL1800 Wing at the time and running a RF CT on the rear so it wasn't the worst thing ever. My H-D riding gear has always kept me dry. Keeping a helmet shield clear can become a problem sometimes.

Second would be from Ft. Collins, CO to Kansas City in 2005. Probably rained for 6+ hours on and off on that trip across eastern CO and western KS.

I just got back last week from six days of riding in CO, UT and AZ where we had rain and small hail 4 of the six days on and off. The worst part was having to change in and out of the rain gear when it stopped and got hot. I kept my bibs on much of the time and just shoved my jacket under the rain cover on my T-Bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts