Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be a silly question but, I know with the forward facing heavy breather aircleaner Harley makes that it comes with a rain sock or you have to purchase one. Just bought a Arlen Ness inverted Cone air cleaner that seems to have as much filter exposed as the Heavy Breather. Question.... Does it need a rain sock as well? Don't think they offer it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just put one on and was wondering the same thing. Also have a wire harness exposed on the back side of the AC and was wondering if there was some kind of cover for that too.
Let me know what you hear.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have the HD sock and been using jt for years. I think it might be an added protection, not sure.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,444 Posts
I carry one of those for my Big Sucker in my saddlebags. I'm not positive but I think they're talking about a different filter than the Big Sucker. I only stop and put the rain sock on if there's horrendous rains and not just a quick thunderstorm. I did have 2 times where I was running through torrential rains for an extended time and the motor started acting up spittin' and sputterin'. That was before I bought the rain sock. Never have experienced and problems running in the rain with the sock on it. - For what it's worth.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have ran a exposed filter for many years in some pretty hard down pours, and not used the sock. Your leg ends up shielding the element a little, and think it would have to be a 100 year rain to hydro-lock the motor. If it's coming down that hard, I'll take a break. IMO the rain that does get into the intake helps clean some carbon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts