Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Rain-X hurt a Cee Bailey's shield?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
+1. My understanding is that Acrylics and most plastics don't do well with alcohol based products, it causes them to cloud over time. As a former helicopter mechanic, we used to use a plastic polish that would also hinder rain on the windshields of our choppers. That said, I only use a 50/50 mixture of water and Hydrogen peroxide on my windshield. cleans great and gets all of the bugs off without scratching or discoloration. Just spray it on, let the bugs soak a couple minutes and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Works every time.

Unless theirs is made of something different from the rest my vote is don't do it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have seen rain-X products for motorcycle helmet shields and wind shields

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
your choice, it's your bike BUT Helmet shields are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than a windshield. It probably won't harm it right away but it will discolor it eventually.

·
Administrator
10,996 Posts
Clearview is the only shield I know of that you can use Rain X on .. I used it ( Rain X ) years ago on my Tour Glide and it eventually turned the shield yellow ..

use regular ole car wax

JtB

·
Registered
941 Posts
..., I only use a 50/50 mixture of water and Hydrogen peroxide on my windshield. cleans great and gets all of the bugs off without scratching or discoloration. Just spray it on, let the bugs soak a couple minutes and wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Works every time.
Now that is interesting

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
buy a can of pledge (not the lemon, attracts too many bee's) spray on a rag wipe off. It is a wax and does a great job repelling rain, and even better BUGS!
I have used it for years
Works fantastic on chrome too. BUT!! make sure you don't spay it on the engine itself. It will "milk" the engine cast.
Spray on a rag, microfiber etc..

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I use the turtle wax ice paste on my windshield as well as the rest of my shark, bugs come right off with soap and water or some detail spray.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
buy a can of pledge (not the lemon, attracts too many bee's) spray on a rag wipe off. It is a wax and does a great job repelling rain, and even better BUGS!
I have used it for years
Works fantastic on chrome too. BUT!! make sure you don't spay it on the engine itself. It will "milk" the engine cast.
Spray on a rag, microfiber etc..
The forumula for Pledge changed a couple years ago and it isnt as good as it used to be so I've stopped using it.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Rain X for cars will mess up you shield. I learned the hard way. I have been told they make a different product for motorcycles but never seen it.
all the other options list in this thread work.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have had good success with the method described in the Roadglide shop manual. Use a hot damp cloth and place it on the windshield and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Use a microfiber towel and wipe clean. Similar to the 50/50 water /Hydrogen Peroxide method. However I'm thinking the 50/50 Water /Hydrogen Peroxide method might be better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts