Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking for my next project and am thinking of going with the larger wheel up front and raking the front. But as usual I have a bunch of questions.
I know cutting the head and re welding it is the "proper" fix but I see all the raked triple trees out there. Do they change the handling when compared to modifying the frame?
Can I do the rake now and leave the factory small tire for now? this is all going to cost some $$ so thinking of doing it in stages.
Which one of the many triple trees out there are the best ones?
How much rake do I add? been looking for pictures of different rake angles but not finding much details.
l plan on installing the progressive tubes while I am there.

Also can I keep my factory rotors or do those have to be bought as well, to fit the rim? Don't want to loose my ABS. Not sure if there is a standard bolt pattern for all of this stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How big you wanting to go?
I am currently having HHI x23 trees and 23" front wheel installed. Have not road on over 21" yet. here's a little I've learned:
23" you can do trees only 6 deg's rake or you can cut the neck 7 and rake 7 which will put the front wheel out a little farther. Either way you get correct trail.
26" must cut and rake.
You cannot safely run the stock wheel after raking.
check out HHI website or Hog Pro's bike gallery tab on his site. Also choppedbaggers.com has a lot of photos and info.

·
Registered
887 Posts
MC Baggers looks like a good product. They show an install on U tube. Looks like a quality product, but someone with them might chime in and give you more info.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been looking for my next project and am thinking of going with the larger wheel up front and raking the front. But as usual I have a bunch of questions.
I know cutting the head and re welding it is the "proper" fix but I see all the raked triple trees out there. Do they change the handling when compared to modifying the frame?
Can I do the rake now and leave the factory small tire for now? this is all going to cost some $$ so thinking of doing it in stages.
Which one of the many triple trees out there are the best ones?
How much rake do I add? been looking for pictures of different rake angles but not finding much details.
l plan on installing the progressive tubes while I am there.

Also can I keep my factory rotors or do those have to be bought as well, to fit the rim? Don't want to loose my ABS. Not sure if there is a standard bolt pattern for all of this stuff.
I've been planning my mods to my 08 and going with a 23" is one of them. I have read hundreds of posts, talked with several riders who have gone with 23" wheels and there are two ways to go about it.

I went with option "1" and purchased through Pickard USA as they were the first company to design and produce and guarantee 100% wobble free.

1) You can install a 6 deg triple tree and will not have any issues. Though I recommend going with one of two manufactures for the triple trees (HII or Pickard USA)

2) BUY a bolt on neck extension kit and install triple trees, however talking with Pickard USA, you do not need to do both unless your looking for that wheel to frame spacing look.

3) If you do the cut and weld neck extension, I've been told A) it will void any warrant and B) now you have frame that's technically a salvage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts