Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my new bagger gas can today on purpose. I like to know how far i can really go with all my vehicles and how they react. I was watching the miles remaining and the last i saw was 11 miles left. Then it read R LO ( reserve low). I checked the odometer and 22 miles later i ran out of fuel. Tried the new one gallon can. No leaks while pouring and my 2011 RGU started right up.:D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I tried my new bagger gas can today on purpose. I like to know how far i can really go with all my vehicles and how they react. I was watching the miles remaining and the last i saw was 11 miles left. Then it read R LO ( reserve low). I checked the odometer and 22 miles later i ran out of fuel. Tried the new one gallon can. No leaks while pouring and my 2011 RGU started right up.:D
so how many gallons did it take to fill it from empty? So after it read R LO you got 22 more miles? I got mine down to 18 miles to go and filled right to the brim and it only took 5.4 gallons I just like to know too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lost track of those figures. I know it was over 6 gallons at the first click of the gas pump. I'm thinking 6.something. I filled the gas can up first and that was .95 gallons. The tank had the .95 gallons that I poured in it to get the bike running again. So I guess really close to 6 gallons. The main thing for me was once it says R LO you have 22 miles left. That was in town city driving and I wasn't trying to conserve gas. I kept the R's up. You probably get more on the highway and you would be keeping the R's down in a real world situation. The way I'm going to look at it is when R Lo comes up 20 more miles max

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same. I just tried it on my Big Dog. My reserve is about 1 cup of gas and I wanted to see how far I could go before getting stranded. I made it 8 miles before running dry.

Just a note about the Harley gas can.....
I recently ran out of gas. I pulled my trusty Harley gas can out of my saddle bag. The locking mechanism on the nozzle wouldn't budge and I had no way to get the gas out of the can and into my tank. I pushed my bike about 1/2 mile t a gas station. Now I carry a small funnel on my bike. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had to learn that gas can. I twisted the green plastic lock over but gas wouldn't come out. I found that when you put pressure down on the spout with the green lock twisted that it started to flow. Yeah I failed to mention I spent 5 min just in the operation of a gas can. Lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Keep trying that little experiment and you will be pushing your bike to the neared dealer for a new fuel pump. In-tank electric fuel pumps can burnout in a matter of seconds when run dry.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Keep trying that little experiment and you will be pushing your bike to the neared dealer for a new fuel pump. In-tank electric fuel pumps can burnout in a matter of seconds when run dry.

I thought the same thing but I talked to a factory engineer at Sturgis a few years ago and he laughed and said that they literally can run for ever without fuel. Not necessarliy want to try but it made me feel better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
they will run for ever

but the imp..eller will be toast and it will not pump. Electricc in tank pumps are in a sense cooled by the fuel they are sitting in. . just keep fuel in it. 2010 rgc gets 240 miles br resevre light comes on. i believe the resrse is one gallon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts