Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2011 with 5400 miles on it. Today I heard this rattling or clanking sound in every gear between 2k and 2.5k rpm. Sounds like its coming from the primary area. Does it in gear and with the clutch in if I keep the rpms in that range. Does seem to stay with the rhythm of the rpms, not random clanking. This isn't the normal 103 engine noise. Anyone have an idea? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I took the primary cover off. Pics are below. I measured about 3/8” of play in the chain. To me, the compensator doesn’t look marked up. Any thoughts?

?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I've got a 2011 with 5400 miles on it. Today I heard this rattling or clanking sound in every gear between 2k and 2.5k rpm. Sounds like its coming from the primary area. Does it in gear and with the clutch in if I keep the rpms in that range. Does seem to stay with the rhythm of the rpms, not random clanking. This isn't the normal 103 engine noise. Anyone have an idea? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Could it be your shift linkage ?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Check the lifters. I know that sounds crazy but my buddy went through this last fall and that was it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could it be your shift linkage ?
I've actually reached down and grabbed it! Not the linkage :)

Check the lifters. I know that sounds crazy but my buddy went through this last fall and that was it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Thats my next step I guess. I don't know how I would do that. I've been thinking about having a shop just do new cams/lifters/rods and whatever else they think will quiet the damn thing down. This is my 4th HD, my other 3 were all 88's and never made the racket this thing makes...

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
If all else fails, check the entire exhaust system.
Mike U.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've taken the bike to Battlefield HD and Blettner's in Hanover, both tell me it's normal valvetrain noise. I've run some engine flush in it and switched to dino oil. Same noises. It now seems to be noisy all the time. My guess is lifters/valves. The wife has told me to stop dumping money into it, getting a new RG Limited in the spring. Just gonna run it as is till then or till it blows up...

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I've taken the bike to Battlefield HD and Blettner's in Hanover, both tell me it's normal valvetrain noise. I've run some engine flush in it and switched to dino oil. Same noises. It now seems to be noisy all the time. My guess is lifters/valves. The wife has told me to stop dumping money into it, getting a new RG Limited in the spring. Just gonna run it as is till then or till it blows up...
A couple of guys on here owned the same bike at two different times that Battlefield built. From their experience alone, I'd stay away from them unless they got sold in the last few years and an all new service department hired. Your wife has a good idea. You've got about 3 months left of this riding season if you're lucky. Trade it in over the winter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of guys on here owned the same bike at two different times that Battlefield built. From their experience alone, I'd stay away from them unless they got sold in the last few years and an all new service department hired. Your wife has a good idea. You've got about 3 months left of this riding season if you're lucky. Trade it in over the winter.
Yea, I'm done with Battlefield. I was willing to throw $2k at them to fix this. My guess is that they started it up in the shop and said, "sounds normal". I really wont ride past October, I dont like wearing layers of clothes on a bike. Spring cant come soon enough :smile:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just had something similar on my '09. The clank I heard was when I let off the throttle, & also heard more of a rattle at around 3k rpm while accelerating. I was convinced it was the compensator going bad. Had my foot on the primary & even felt like it was in there. I had the outer primary off getting ready to change it. Just before I left for the stealership, something made me check the drive belt tension. There was none!! Realized my axle nut had backed off just enough, & the day before, I hit some VERY bad bumps on a shitty road that had to make the belt tensioners drop out of place. That;s when the noise started. Luckily no damage done. It was my fault for not checking my belt tension religiously. Glad I didn't drop $450 for nothing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i had the same noise in the 2500-2800 RPM range and it turned out to be cylinder and piston damage from who knows what. pull the crank position sensor up by the left floorboard and see if there are metal flakes on the magnet. if yes, then something is letting loose in the engine. you could also borescope to see if there is cylinder scoring. both of those would at least rule out cylinder/piston damage. when i pulled my sensor it was covered in metal and when i borescoped you could see severe cylinder scoring in the rear cylinder.

most common issues with those sounds are usually lifters, a bad tune, or something rattling that is loose.

good luck, it can be a long search.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i had the same noise in the 2500-2800 RPM range and it turned out to be cylinder and piston damage from who knows what. pull the crank position sensor up by the left floorboard and see if there are metal flakes on the magnet. if yes, then something is letting loose in the engine. you could also borescope to see if there is cylinder scoring. both of those would at least rule out cylinder/piston damage. when i pulled my sensor it was covered in metal and when i borescoped you could see severe cylinder scoring in the rear cylinder.

most common issues with those sounds are usually lifters, a bad tune, or something rattling that is loose.

good luck, it can be a long search.
When I got it, it was stock with slip-ons. It had a little bit of noise that I figured the rocker lockers would fix. So I did those and also put a full Rinehart exhaust and SE open filter and tuned it with FP3 autotune. All hell broke loose after that, in my opinion. Could the tune make it noisy like that? I had all that done before I took it to the dealer and an Indy and they both said normal valve train noise :frown:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If the comp is bad,you can move the sprocket back and forth with ease with your hand. Should be tight. I thought my comp was going bad on my 15 last week after hearing some knocking sounds in the primary. Took it out again this past weekend to test ride and make sure before draining oil and removing cover and all the sounds were gone and seemed to have corrected itself. Had to be chain adjuster either getting temporarily stuck or chain just didn’t get adjusted quick enough causing it to hit side of cover. If it happens again may need a new adjuster and will pick up a Baker then

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
When I got it, it was stock with slip-ons. It had a little bit of noise that I figured the rocker lockers would fix. So I did those and also put a full Rinehart exhaust and SE open filter and tuned it with FP3 autotune. All hell broke loose after that, in my opinion. Could the tune make it noisy like that? I had all that done before I took it to the dealer and an Indy and they both said normal valve train noise :frown:
Do you hear a loud clunk when shutting bike off? That’s also a sign of bad compensator

·
Registered
180 Posts
Was the nut tight on the compensator?
did you try running it on the stand with the cover off to see if you could pin point the sound?
Those bolts do sometimes come loose.
The compensator is showing some wear IMO for 5400 miles.
Wish I had pictures of mine after I switch to a belt drive at around 50K on my 06. Hammered.

Reactions: Desert Rider AZ

·
Registered
203 Posts
yes, a tune can cause detonation at certain RPM's, however i would be surprised if that's what it is.

this is what i would do based on what you're already checked and work you did to the bike.

1. pull crank position sensor, check for metal shavings (3 minutes)
2. if metal shavings, time to stop and take it to a pro, most likely you have some issues which will require case splitting
3. if no shavings, take heat shields off, check all exhaust bolts for snugness, and drive around (15 minutes)
4. rattle still there? pull rocker covers and check all rocker bolts to make sure none backed out (45 minutes)
5. rattle still there? go deeper into the rabbit hole...lifters (possible but not likely since you would hear them all the time), compensator, tune, piston slap/cylinder scoring

good luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would rethink the Baker attitude adjuster I ran one Re adjust every 5 k a pain and took it out went back to OEM auto adjuster works fine also the newest Compensator 7 k so far smooth and Quiet

1 - 20 of 27 Posts