Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 2015 Road Glide
Mileage: 9965

So.... after my third ride of the 2017 season (around the beginning of May) my 2015 RG has developed a fairly severe rattle / clank on the right side bottom end somewhere near the tranny case/ tranny case cover. It's worse at first start but will quiet down just a little when warm. Noise increases with RPM. Happens regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. Happens regardless of whether bike is in gear or in neutral. All three fluids serviced at the 9,400 mile mark and currently all fluid levels are full.

Took my bike to the dealer yesterday afternoon and the SM came out and had a listen. He said that there is definitely something going on down there. Left the bike at the dealership. Waiting for inspection / tear down and report sometime this week :(

Do you guys have any thoughts? I've bought a bike from this dealership before and have referred three friends who also bought bikes from Pig Trail in Rogers, Arkansas. The sales staff is OK, but normally don't use this dealership for service work because they have been spotty at best in the past. However, I didn't want to ride it 90 miles back to Denny's in Springfield for fear of tearing something up worse.

I may end up with a bill out of this one because my factory warranty expired on May 12 :( Needless to say I'll be devastated if that's the way this pans out.

Any thoughts on what it might be would be kindly appreciated. I know it's hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing (wish I had captured an audio / video clip before I left it at the dealership but was surprised they asked me to leave the bike right then as they had an opening today).

I'll keep ya'll posted

P.S. No major internal mods to the motor, clutch, tranny, compensator etc.) All stock. I do have Rush HO pipes, SE Street Canons, FigureMachine USA air cleaner and FP3. Other than that it's bone stock.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
sounds like money$$$$. Sorry to hear your warranty just expired. No ESP?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like money$$$$. Sorry to hear your warranty just expired. No ESP?
Nope, no ESP. When I was younger I used to always buy ESPs, but after many going unused, and the one time I needed one was burned by the fine print. I stopped. Have owned many boats, motorcycles, cars and trucks in between and up to this point have always been fortunate.

We'll see......

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
That's bad luck there. Your bike breaking ,not a month after the warranty expires.
Does everything seem to work right , besides the rattle ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I had the same issue, only I described it as a ping/ting, like tiny pebbles hitting the exhaust shields. I did do cam work and it came from that general area.. when I coupled the ping/ting with humming noise that came about I got nervous. Hence the new 2016 RGU.. sorry, didn't keep it long enough to find out what it was, but it couldn't be good.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
on the plus side, it could just be a broken header/exhaust pipe heat shield mounting clamp. I had the center heat shield mount break off and the clamp was just hanging loose. This caused a "Metallic" clanking sound from the same area you're describing. I know it's already at the dealer, but if you can, Try taking off the heat shields, doing a thorough inspection of the the area the clamps attach to the shields, start the bike without the shields on and see if the problem duplicates.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's bad luck there. Your bike breaking ,not a month after the warranty expires.
Does everything seem to work right , besides the rattle ?
Bike runs great, but this just adds to my apprehension about this particular bike. Since I've owned it;

Clutch Master Cylinder Recall
Saddle Bag Fastener Recall
Instrument Cluster Fogging / Slim running down inside of glass

And now this........ In fairness, the first three items were addressed under warranty, but my butt is really puckered on this one. If I have an unexpected thousand dollar or more bill I may have to sell this bike and hang up my riding boots for a while. I take great pride and take great care of my property and toys. My last three GMC trucks over 200K on all of them before trading and never a mechanical failure. The bass boat I still own today I bought in 2002. Mercury 225 EFI never a mechanical breakdown. Heck even my previous Super Glide I kept for five years and it never had a major mechanical failure.

I've been praying.............

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Bike run great, but this just adds to my apprehension about this particular bike. Since I've owned it;

Clutch Master Cylinder Recall
Saddle Bag Fastener Recall
Instrument Cluster Fogging / Slim running down inside of glass

And now this........ In fairness, the first three items were addressed under warranty, but my butt is really puckered on this one. If I have an unexpected thousand dollar or more bill I may have to sell this bike and hang up my riding boots for a while. I take great pride and take great care of my property and toys. My last three GMC trucks over 200K on all of them before trading and never a mechanical failure. The bass boat I still own today I bought in 2002. Mercury 225 EFI never a mechanical breakdown. Heck even my previous Super Glide I kept for five years and it never had a major mechanical failure.

I've been praying.............
Sometimes it's hit or miss. I've had great luck with all my HD's, but you never know. Just one of the reasons I've not traded up. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
3 weeks out of warranty? I'd sure hope the hell the dealer can push with MoCo for some help on this bill if not cover the whole thing. Good luck with it.

Now I'm thread jacking. I'm heading to your neck of the woods this weekend and will get to E.S. on Monday. Gonna spend a few days out there riding in the Ozarks. Wish I had more time but it isn't in the cards this trip. Bunch of us meeting at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. Heatwave from this site will be out there too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last year i had to get one of my bikes home after a head gasket blew out - about 75 miles away. I got a uhaul single motorcycle trailer for about 10 bucks a day. All you need is a hitch on your truck/car. If you dont like the dealer your at 90 miles away, yo may want to pull it out and get it to your guys.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on the plus side, it could just be a broken header/exhaust pipe heat shield mounting clamp. I had the center heat shield mount break off and the clamp was just hanging loose. This caused a "Metallic" clanking sound from the same area you're describing.
Update: Not broken but loose :) Before taking it in I did push, pull and yank on all of my exhaust components - nothing seemed loose. However, I didn't take the time to pull out my torque wrench (or even a ratchet or regular wrench and check the tightness of all fasteners related to the exhaust system). Man, oh man, I feel like a complete idiot this morning. I am however a lot less stressed as of this morning. I may even live to see another day.

I haven't actually picked up the bike to confirm the noise is gone, but according to the SM that did the trick. On the bright side, Pig Trail's service department has restored some of my faith in them. The tech actually did some troubleshooting before tearing into the primary, transmission or crank case. My total bill = $97 and some change, but that included checking my drive belt deflection and the front and rear axle nut torque @ 10K (which were the only items I couldn't do myself since I don't have the tools).

I am really relieved. Thanks for all the input, kind words and reassurances.

To make my day even better, I got an email notification from UPS that I have a package coming from The Factory Match. That should be my new bags............

Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm thread jacking. I'm heading to your neck of the woods this weekend and will get to E.S. on Monday. Gonna spend a few days out there riding in the Ozarks. Wish I had more time but it isn't in the cards this trip. Bunch of us meeting at the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks. Heatwave from this site will be out there too.
Man, wish you were getting into town a bit earlier. I would have loved to meet up with you guys :(

The riding will be great and there are plenty of great roads to ride around here. If you've been here before you know that, but if you need any recommendations let me know. Enjoy your stay and ride safe!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Update: Not broken but loose :) Before taking it in I did push, pull and yank on all of my exhaust components - nothing seemed loose. However, I didn't take the time to pull out my torque wrench (or even a ratchet or regular wrench and check the tightness of all fasteners related to the exhaust system). Man, oh man, I feel like a complete idiot this morning. I am however a lot less stressed as of this morning. I may even live to see another day.

I haven't actually picked up the bike to confirm the noise is gone, but according to the SM that did the trick. On the bright side, Pig Trail's service department has restored some of my faith in them. The tech actually did some troubleshooting before tearing into the primary, transmission or crank case. My total bill = $97 and some change, but that included checking my drive belt deflection and the front and rear axle nut torque @ 10K (which were the only items I couldn't do myself since I don't have the tools).

To make my day even better, I got an email notification from UPS that I have a package coming from The Factory Match. That should be my new bags............

Have a great day!
Sounds to me ,a ESP may be in your future. :)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
glad to hear it (pun intended!)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Man, wish you were getting into town a bit earlier. I would have loved to meet up with you guys :(

The riding will be great and there are plenty of great roads to ride around here. If you've been here before you know that, but if you need any recommendations let me know. Enjoy your stay and ride safe!
I'll be there til Fri morning. Packing a spare liver with this bunch for sure. I'd tell ya to swing by the hotel I mentioned in my last post and look for the blue 15 SERGU but there will be about 6 of them there. It's a CVO meet but anyone can show up. Kinda like bringing a batwing to shark week. There's about 3-4 local guys that have mapped out all sorts or routes and stuff so we should be good there.

Glad they got that solved for ya. Always that sick feeling when you can't figure something out fairly quick.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

Have a great day!
I've been watching to see. Man I am damn glad it's all good.

Be sure to post pics of them bags.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Bike retrieved from the HD dealership and all is well :)

No clanking or other weird noises. It's amazing how something so simple can sound like the whole bottom end is coming apart. So a word of advice...... No matter whether you do the service, upgrades, etc. yourself, or pay the dealer or an Indy to do them for you, make sure to check all you fasteners on a regular basis. Every single bolt that was loose were those that I tightened and torqued myself when I installed my Rush head pipes. So I know for a fact that every one of those fasteners was blue Loctite and torqued to spec according to the Harley Service manual. They just flat out loosened up over the last 18 months.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I may be crazy or even just a little bit out of line. Correct me if I'm totally wrong. Cant you still purchase an ESP from an outside vendor? I believe that it It will just be a little bit more costly than if your factory warranty was still in effect. I would grab a few years to add on. That may just be my thinking. Glad to hear that it was something simple and didn't break the bank for a fix.
Keep the rubber side down and shiny side up!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yeah! Good news and an easy fix

1 - 20 of 22 Posts