Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time getting my bike to start and stay running the first time. It always dies {cold} on the first start. Have to hit the started again.
I have tried to add the IAC Steps, Warmup Enrichment and other settings related to cold starting. Starts good when warm.
It has done this since Day 1 when i bought the bike, Even when the SERT was in it. I now have TTS Master Tune. No {02 Sensors}
Any help would be GREAT !
Other than starting, The bike runs Great. 45 mpg.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After reading other forums and talking to bike techs. If I take gas cap off turn on fuel pump you can hear the pump whine then shut off. There is a hissing sound. I guess that means there is a leak in the fuel line.
Ordered a new check valve assembled and fuel filter kit. Gonna tear into it soon.as I get the new parts.
Pretty sure that's what's causing the issue

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Mine did that for a while. I changed spark plugs and it fires up first time and stays running, every time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Removed the canopy, Installed new fuel filter kit, and Check Valve assembly. Found a hole in fuel line filter to fuel pump. Looks like it rubbed against the arm on the pump.
Still had had to start twice DAMMIT . Threw a code, Cleared it thanks to IronMark's sticky .
I will know more in the morning. On cold start.
Thanks for u all' help ! I love this forum!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cold start this morning. No change, still have to hit starter twice. RPM's. go up to 2000 then jump back down to 1000, then it sneezes thru the A/C, then dies . Just like before . Going to check CKP Sensor now. I gotta get this right.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Did you check the Idle Air Control (IAC) ?? Did You check the MAP sensor??
Chances are it isn't the crank positioning sensor, if that was bad your bike probably wouldn't run good because your timing would be way off.
I am sure there are ways to check sensors but for us backyard mechanics just swapping the sensor out is the easiest way but it can get costly because we are just guessing if there is no DTCs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chances are it isn't the crank positioning sensor, if that was bad your bike probably wouldn't run good because your timing would be way off.
I am sure there are ways to check sensors but for us backyard mechanics just swapping the sensor out is the easiest way but it can get costly because we are just guessing if there is no DTCs
No I did not check any other sensors. Just reading old posts and guessing. I did have a code P1353 . Cleared it.
So do I just go buy a new IAC and MAP Sensor ? I don't care what it cost, just want to get my bike going.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
IronMark
Don't know how long that code P1353 has been there, I just found out how to get codes yesterday, do you think that has anything to do with my issue ?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took a 50 mile test ride, bike ran strong, engine lite flashed for a second as I was getting on it .
Got the P1353 code again, No Combustion Front Cylinder ? Really what the hell is going on ?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Took a 50 mile test ride, bike ran strong, engine lite flashed for a second as I was getting on it .
Got the P1353 code again, No Combustion Front Cylinder ? Really what the hell is going on ?
The P1353 DTC is usually related to a spark plug or sparkplug wire or coil problem.
The system doesn't need to malfunction for long to throw the DTC.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The P1353 DTC is usually related to a spark plug or sparkplug wire or coil problem.
The system doesn't need to malfunction for long to throw the DTC.
Iam going to get new Spark Plugs and Wires tomorrow, I did put aftermarket Plugs in last year, I read that these bikes {ECM} may be sensitive to Non- Harley components. 36,000 miles , wont hurt to put new wires on it. If that doesnt do it . Should i change out the Coil?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Plugs and wires would be a good start, I alway put a little dielectric grease on the top of the spark plugs before putting the plug wires on the plug.
While you are replacing the wires check the power plug going to the coil and clean it up and use some dielectric grease on it too. I would wait on the coil, see what happens after doing the plugs and wires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plugs and wires would be a good start, I alway put a little dielectric grease on the top of the spark plugs before putting the plug wires on the plug.
While you are replacing the wires check the power plug going to the coil and clean it up and use some dielectric grease on it too. I would wait on the coil, see what happens after doing the plugs and wires.
I will do that ! Thanks for all the input.
Scott

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to muddy the waters but, I get that exact same code on my 2006, total loss of front cylinder compression. I have completely ignored it because it runs perfect. It starts fist time every time and get 40+ MPG. It flashes the check engine light every now and then just for a second sometimes even when the bike is off and just the ignition is on. Now that I think about it, it may have started doing it right after I changed the plugs.
Best of luck getting it sorted.
McLuvin

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New HD Plugs gapped at 0.40 , New HD SE Wires, W/Die-electric grease, Cleaned coil, W/ Die-electric grease. Checked all wiring and plugs. Used Die-electric grease on all plug connections.
Fired it up , same old shit, stalled on first start. No codes though. Fixed that.
I still don't understand why bike won't stay running the first time I start it Cold.
I remember the Salesman at HD , Hit the starter and wacked the throttle a couple of times, it stayed running.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It sure is a head scratcher! Glad the DTCs didn't come back. It still may be the Idle Air Control, you can clean that with a can of carb cleaner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sure is a head scratcher! Glad the DTCs didn't come back. It still may be the Idle Air Control, you can clean that with a can of carb cleaner.
I think your right about the IAC , I have cleaned it many times, with brake parts cleaner, seafoam spray. {One time} The bike started cold right after i cleaned the hole in the IAC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts