Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what I was quoted by my local dealer. Plus, are you ready for this...the total price for 12" bars ($250), heated grips ($300), new cables ($300) + install = $1700. All I can say is REALLY?! It looks like it is time for some online research.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
That is freakin nuts... They are OVERPRICED on every part of that quote, and their labor is insane. Check out the DYI threads if your into that, or start looking for an indy you can work with.
My buddy just got a quote from an indy that was less than a grand for the install, including everything but the bars. (I don't know how that worked).

Keep lookin man, that price is crazy.

Rowdy

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 on Donks write up. I did my Bar change (Khrome Werks Stretch Heritage bars) grips (Well almost) They didnt fit so stocker went back on all in 3 hours.

Bars 2.5 hours with 30 min of breaks and a couple of beers with a forum member who helped me do the install.

If I am not mistaken you may not even need cable changes with 12" bars.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I have installed two sets of bars on my RGU and can understand some of this.

The dealer (or indy) is protecting themselves from any unknowns. Most bars will fit with a minimum of hassle but without seeing the bars and the bends required there is no way (unless they have done them before) that they can guess the ins and outs of an install. The logic is that you will be a lot happier if the final bill is lower than they predicted rather than a lot more. I don't think there is a "flat rate manual" to install a set of bars on a motorcycle. It's always going to be a 'WAG'.

That being said, you will be a lot happier and satisfied with your purchase if you invest in a service manual and attack the job yourself. There would be a lot of money left over to get your favorite install fluid.:D

·
Super Moderator
12,433 Posts
For that price, I would pick up the bike, buy you breakfast, do the install, send you lunch, test ride it, fill it with gas, then bring it back to you and buy dinner, and I would still make a killing. :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My guess too is that alot of is CYA for those times when something goes wrong for the so-called "certified Harley technicians". Just a guess, but I'd bet a fairly large percentage of those guys are just as good at pinching wires as the average guy on the street, which means 3 months from now a bunch of the handlebar swap bikes come back with strange electrical issues.

And then there's just the "I don't want to do it, but if he'll pay enough I'll grin and bare it" jobs. If you're stupid enough to pay it, they'll do anything. I just got rid of a supervisor that I KNOW got screwed on a couple of those jobs, cuz he coulda screwed something up polishing the key fobs.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
My guess too is that alot of is CYA for those times when something goes wrong for the so-called "certified Harley technicians". Just a guess, but I'd bet a fairly large percentage of those guys are just as good at pinching wires as the average guy on the street, which means 3 months from now a bunch of the handlebar swap bikes come back with strange electrical issues.

And then there's just the "I don't want to do it, but if he'll pay enough I'll grin and bare it" jobs. If you're stupid enough to pay it, they'll do anything. I just got rid of a supervisor that I KNOW got screwed on a couple of those jobs, cuz he coulda screwed something up polishing the key fobs.
I wouldn't argue the validity of your post. BUT, I'll bet you dollars to donuts if they did it in say 5 hours, they would charge for 10.
A better way to handle custom install, be freakin honest and charge the the labor as appropriate. But I will also add that the parts pricing is over the top as well. This outfit is gouging the hell out the op. period. Just sayin.

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
They may can do it in 5 hrs. but as all dealers, they have a flat rate manual to follow. If it says it will take them then they will charge ten.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just ordered a set of black heritage bars from surdyke. called my local dealer and asked how much to install them on my RGU they told me 2 hours at $75 an hour. Which was cheaper than my local indy who were at 3 hours at the same rate. While I would like to try and tackle this myself I have never done it before and know it would take me much longer.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
That's what I was quoted by my local dealer. Plus, are you ready for this...the total price for 12" bars ($250), heated grips ($300), new cables ($300) + install = $1700. All I can say is REALLY?! It looks like it is time for some online research.
What kind of bar are you looking to install?? I can do a Heritage style hadlebar installation in about 1 hour.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Done the 14s myself for about 300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just finished my 11" Santee install on my '09. Full internal wiring, extended wires and eliminated green plug on the TBW wires. All stock wires are long enough, brake line long enough, clutch cable rerouted but long enough, could have fit 12's, 13's and maybe 14's. Trboden, do it yourself. It takes time and patience, but with Donk's write up mine took 9 hours total EVEN with my mistakes(I'll never fess up). Oh, and never stick a screwdriver into your thumb, it f'n hurts.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have installed two sets of bars on my RGU and can understand some of this.

The dealer (or indy) is protecting themselves from any unknowns. Most bars will fit with a minimum of hassle but without seeing the bars and the bends required there is no way (unless they have done them before) that they can guess the ins and outs of an install. The logic is that you will be a lot happier if the final bill is lower than they predicted rather than a lot more. I don't think there is a "flat rate manual" to install a set of bars on a motorcycle. It's always going to be a 'WAG'.

That being said, you will be a lot happier and satisfied with your purchase if you invest in a service manual and attack the job yourself. There would be a lot of money left over to get your favorite install fluid.:D
faststan, I don't disagree with you, but I will say I don't agree with their philosophy if that is the case. We could probably spend hours on here debating some of the pros/cons of over-estimating...but I won't get into that. I will just say that it seems to me that they ( a dealer) should understand their products well enough to know how long it really takes to do an install such as this (especially since I was ordering bars from them).

However, I do appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of bar are you looking to install?? I can do a Heritage style hadlebar installation in about 1 hour.
ironmark, You know I thought he mentioned the 12" outlawz (I wanted to start with what he recommended and go from there), but he said they were 1.25" and I didn't see any of those on the web site (but I could have missed it).

But, for me in general I am thinking about 12" height. I am 6' 3" and I think I would like the more laid back posture compared to stock - but not too far back nor do I want the bars too high over the fairing, I personally just don't like the look.

I am open to opinions because I know everyone has one...keep them coming.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is freakin nuts... They are OVERPRICED on every part of that quote, and their labor is insane. Check out the DYI threads if your into that, or start looking for an indy you can work with.
My buddy just got a quote from an indy that was less than a grand for the install, including everything but the bars. (I don't know how that worked).

Keep lookin man, that price is crazy.

Rowdy
Yeah, I will keep looking...maybe someone on here has some 12" bars for sale...I have not had time to look yet...super busy at work these days.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If i can find someone with more patience than me I will probably do it myself...the patience is the problem..not the skill set. I am pretty handy with tools, did a lot of work on my cars when I was younger...now with all the computer stuff I don't bother.... But, this I think I could handle, except for the patience...that's where I need a helper to step in and take over when I am ready to cut the bars in 1/2.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If i can find someone with more patience than me I will probably do it myself...the patience is the problem.. But, this I think I could handle, except for the patience...that's where I need a helper to step in and take over when I am ready to cut the bars in 1/2.
I suggest that you give this a try before, during and after your attempt at the install:

http://www.epicrehab.com/clients/resources/audio/pmr_8.mp3

Good luck on your decision (I had my regular mechanic do my Heritage bars on his own time).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts