Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide the direction that I want to go with shocks on my 2015 Road Glide, and I have a dumb question about replacing my stock 12" with 13".

I'm shopping around, and I wanted to make sure that going with a 13" is as straight forward as it seems. I spoke with Progressive, and they didn't leave me with much confidence. They really tried to push the 944, and I'm interested in the 444 13". When I stated "...but the 444 13" will work, correct?", I didn't get a clear answer.

I can't see how it would be an issue going up an 1", but wanted check with the forum first.

· Registered
498 Posts
13" 444's will work but if you have a custom with stock 12" shocks you might have to raise the front end to level the bike. Otherwise your steering geometry. Not dramatically, but maybe enough to notice . They recommend the 944 because you'll have the same ride height as a 12" shock but with the suspension travel 13 inch.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
13" 444's will work but if you have a custom with stock 12" shocks you might have to raise the front end to level the bike. Otherwise your steering geometry. Not dramatically, but maybe enough to notice . They recommend the 944 because you'll have the same ride height as a 12" shock but with the suspension travel 13 inch.
Thanks for the reply, and it makes sense. I can get a good price on the 444's ($449), which is why I'm interested. I'd like the extra inch of travel, but would probably think about a different brand of shock if I'm jumping up to the 944's ( I can't get the same deal).

· Registered
498 Posts
I just bought the 444's for that price on Amazon for my 2912 Ultra. I'm happy with them. Just did over 4k miles round trip to Sturgis and only felt the big hits, the ones that only a long travel off-roader can soak up. I could feel the boss lady bracing for impact when we were coming up to regular expansion joints but the hit never came. It took her a while to get used to it. Overall I'm happy with them for the price, but I also did the Monotubes and a touring link so it's Progressive from tip to tail, and a huge improvement over stock. I think the Monotubes are a better first upgrade. And cheaper too.

I clipped part of my previous post off. I meant to say that if you raise the back of your custom by an inch it will affect your steering geometry, making it steer more sharply but track slightly less stable. If you're going to do Monotubes as well then get the stock Ultra height and that way you'll match the 444's.

· Registered
10,584 Posts
On the pre Rushmore models the front forks were the same , Ultra vs. Custom. Only the rear shocks were different. I would assume the Rushmore bikes would be the same but not 100% sure. So if you swap out you 12" shocks on your custom for 13" shocks , it should be the same as an Ultra in geometry as far as rake and trail is concerned. Not a big difference.

· Registered
498 Posts
I thought when I was ordering my Monotubes that they specified a different length for the ultra vs custom. I'll have to double check that.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
On the pre Rushmore models the front forks were the same , Ultra vs. Custom. Only the rear shocks were different. I would assume the Rushmore bikes would be the same but not 100% sure. So if you swap out you 12" shocks on your custom for 13" shocks , it should be the same as an Ultra in geometry as far as rake and trail is concerned. Not a big difference.
+1 on that, only the rear shock height is the difference, I just purchased progressives monotubes for the front same part # for both.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the responses, I really appreciate it! I'm going to pick up the 13", and give them a try.

· Registered
498 Posts
+1 on that, only the rear shock height is the difference, I just purchased progressives monotubes for the front same part # for both.
Cool. Maybe I was confusing it with the rears. Good to know.

· Premium Member
3,117 Posts
Just add a 21" wheel and it will sit perfectly even like my FLTRX does. ;)

I had the 13" shocks with the stock 18x3.5 front wheel on the bike for quite a while with stock front suspension. There were no issues with the way the bike road with the exception of the stock front springs which are lacking in every way.

Drew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.