Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,
Been a longtime member but haven't been active now for a long time. Last year on 14 May 2019 I had my lower right leg amputated due to a gun shot wound I received while I was deployed to Iraq in 2004. So in Washington after having a medical procedure you have to retake the ride test to show you can safely operate your bike. So I am taking the basic motorcycle safety class on 9-12 May 2019.
This past weekend I rode my RG for the first time since my amputation and the one thing I noticed is that while I can hit the rear brake pedal but it would be easier for me if it stuck out 1-2" more. Does anyone know of a rear brake pedal that sticks out more or moves it over?

I know I can get a used one and cut and reweld it but just wondering if there is anything already made aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
First, thank you for your sacrifice and service. Kuryakyn makes an extended brake pedal and a brake lever that puts your foot in a more natural positions. I have both on my bike.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
geo8866 beat me to the answer Kuryakyn
Thanks for your sacrifice and service, best of luck on the test will be thinking of you

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd looked at that one from Kuryakyn but I am not sure if it will work for what I am trying to do. Since I don't have an ankle anymore my foot it going to be at angle and getting my foot flat on the floorboards is interesting. I'm in the middle of a study with the VA right now so I wasn't using my normal socket. The one I am using right now has the pin release on that inside which was hitting the air cleaner. This isn't good because you and end up accidently releasing your prosthetic. My normal socket my prosthesis made for me has the pin release on the front so it doesn't do this.

I'll take another look at the brake lever. Do you of you by chance have a picture of it sitting next to the stock lever to give me a better idea what it does?

Thanks I spent 10 day shy of 28 years in service to my country. I'm just glad to be able to finally be able to ride again.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thinking outside the box, maybe a metal fab shop can make you something. You can bolt it between the pad & the lever. Since ur right highway peg is lower, maybe they can fab one (1) with a inch drop then have it go out for you.
Wish you the best of luck with this project. Lets us know how you make out.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking outside the box, maybe a metal fab shop can make you something. You can bolt it between the pad & the lever. Since ur right highway peg is lower, maybe they can fab one (1) with a inch drop then have it go out for you.
Wish you the best of luck with this project. Lets us know how you make out.
I had loaned my bike to a buddy while I couldn't ride it. He had adjusted the highway pegs and I don't think he realized that it was leaning down like it was. He made a comment when I was pulling out of his garage. It will be nice to have it home again so I can do some work to it. The floorboard shift kit seems like a good idea and I might just try the extended pad first before I get the lever also.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss of Your Lower Right Leg Wildman.
Thanks for Your Sacrifice as well as Your Service.
The Kuryakyn Extended Rear Brake Pedal as well as any Floor Board Extenders are very comfortable for sure.
It might be worthwhile, as ALMOONEY suggested, to get together with a local fabricator and see if something can be produced or modified to assist You.
Best of Luck Bro and keep Us All informed on how you make out.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mike,

The forum sure has changed over the years. I think it has been 4-6 years since I have been on here. I haven't ridden my bike other than a short scoot into town now for about 4 years. The vibration made my leg hurt a lot so I had stopped riding it. I almost sold it at one point but I decided not to do that and I'm glad I didn't now. With my lower leg gone all the nerve pain I use to have is gone and I'm looking forward to some trips again. I only have 8,000 miles on it and I bought it in Dec 2011. So it is really a low mileage bike.

I have all the tools to do fab work myself. I have a plasma cutter, mig & tig welder so if it comes down to me needing to do something custom I'll try to do it myself first. Then I'll get it powder coated once I am done.

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Make some spacers to move the floor board away from the bike then you'll have room to bend the brake pedal out to where you need it or fab a new brake arm....This would be quicker than trying to find parts for what you need to do....Luck too you on this,I have no doubt you'll pass this easily......Thank you for your service to the USA!!!!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have the kuryakyn break pedal, don't really use my ankle when applying the break with the pedal install, love it and next ride, I'll try to remember to think of your situation and test accordingly.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Howdy everyone,
Been a longtime member but haven't been active now for a long time. Last year on 14 May 2019 I had my lower right leg amputated due to a gun shot wound I received while I was deployed to Iraq in 2004. So in Washington after having a medical procedure you have to retake the ride test to show you can safely operate your bike. So I am taking the basic motorcycle safety class on 9-12 May 2019.
This past weekend I rode my RG for the first time since my amputation and the one thing I noticed is that while I can hit the rear brake pedal but it would be easier for me if it stuck out 1-2" more. Does anyone know of a rear brake pedal that sticks out more or moves it over?

I know I can get a used one and cut and reweld it but just wondering if there is anything already made aftermarket.

First off, thank you for your service and sorry to hear about the leg. Before you go all crazy doing fab work. Try Softbrake.com. They make extended brake levers and ones that will move pedal away from bike, which I think is more what you are looking for. The Kuryakyn will move it forward, but I do not believe it moves it away from bike much if at all, from my memory. Softbrake moves the pedal away from bike, but you will need spacers to move boards as well. I believe they might even sell those as well. I put the Tallboy brackets on my bike and the extended brake and shift were a must. You can Giggle them on the interweb and the guy( sorry name escapes me) will help you out if you explain your situation. Good luck and glad to hear you are on your way to be back on the Glide again.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the ideas. I will check out Soft Brake and see what they have.

It's great to be back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the Softbrake website but call him too. I visited his shop and he had a bunch of brake pedals around that were in varying stages of production (pre-chrome), he may be able to do something custom for you. He is located outside of Spokane in N. Idaho, if you needed to visit it wouldn't be too far to go. (Assuming he hasn't moved in the last year)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check out the Softbrake website but call him too. I visited his shop and he had a bunch of brake pedals around that were in varying stages of production (pre-chrome), he may be able to do something custom for you. He is located outside of Spokane in N. Idaho, if you needed to visit it wouldn't be too far to go. (Assuming he hasn't moved in the last year)
Yes it might be worth a ride to see what he could come up with.

I am going to get the floor board shift kit to move them out some which will help too. But the brake lever and pad will be the harder part. I'll give them a call on Wednesday and see what they say. Going to the VA tomorrow.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wildman-first, thank you for your sacrifice.
Here's a pic to give you an idea of some options. I have the Softbrake +2" extension and the Tallboys lowering brackets on the foot boards. The lowering brackets are popular for the tall guys, but they may be something that could assist you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts