Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 RGU has developed a bad rear brake squeal as I come to a complete stop. I use more rear brake pressure the last several feet of a stop and hate the sound of the squeal. I keep the brake clean. What is the best fix?

·
Registered
307 Posts
My 2017 RGU does the same, exactly as you say. Last several feet. Only 6,000 miles on the bike, no reason for it to be a wear issue, and it is definatly not a warp issue. Extremely annoying. Planning on discussing with dealer next time I’m in, but would love to hear from anyone who has had and resolved this problem.

·
Registered
540 Posts
There's been a few posts floating around in the last few days that describe the same. I have it on my 18 as well in the same manner as described. Another forum member recently check at his dealer and the noise was described as "normal". If it's a sound that pulsates, you may have a warped rotor, but if it's a solid, steady squeal, the answer might simply be that HD is going to pass it as a normal sound.

Would be interested to know if other dealers tell members the same......

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Since the dealers have decided that brake squeal is normal for a $25K+ scooter, you might have to deal with it on your own.

The first thing I would try is tapering the leading edges of the pads. Scuff the faces up with some 60 grit. Then if they don't have a dust slot, cut one into the lining. After that lube the backs of the pads on reassembly.

Past that, a better rotor and some sintered pads.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
we used to call it glazed pads.
dealer won't do anything under warranty; it's the stock pad compound that causes the issue.
like thermo says best fix is sintered pads. they have much better "feel," too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, it goes to the dealer tomorrow. I'll see what they say. If they won't fix it, I'll go to work on it myself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BBB, I used Lyndall's on my Roadking and had good luck with them. Probably go that way if I need to.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To update the squealing rear brake pad. Tech looked at it and said he had the right stuff to clean the brake dust up. Don't know what he used but it worked for now. No squeal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have very good luck with Lyndall Gold + pads.
I recommend this ^

I had the same problem on a 2017 RGU. Got some pink gel stuff at the local auto parts store, removed the pads, coated the back then reinstalled them. The squeal went away for about 50 miles then came back.

I put on some Lyndall Gold+ pads and now the brakes are squeak free.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, 200 miles later the rear brake is squealing again. Time to look at new pads.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks for the update! I wish more people would take the time to update a post. BTW are you going Lyndall?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, BBB I'm sure I'll go with the Lyndall gold +. I used Lydall's some years ago on my 02 road king and had good luck with them. No squealing and little dust.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brake update: Being the tight ass I can be at times , I decided I would pull the OE''s off and lubricate the pad pin and the area on the back of the pads where the pistons meet the pad. I noticed that is what the HD replacement pads recommend. Pad pin had a little rust and cleaned the dust from the pistons. Worked great, easy job.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
You need to put disc brake lube on the back of the disc brake pads. I use Permatex synthetic disc brake lube on my rear pads and it works great. This is not a uncommon problem because it happened on my 08 since I got it new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 16 rgs was squealing like you described. I took off the pads and tapered the edges and reinstalled. That was 8000 miles ago and they haven’t made a sound since

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Every time I ride mine in the wet it squeals for about a week or so after.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts