Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help with this...a couple of weeks ago, my cruise control was having trouble staying engaged. I noticed my rear brake light was on, so I pumped it hard and it went off after I released the pedal....and the cruise works fine now.

But now my brake light will not turn on and my cruise will not disengage when I push my rear brake pedal....

I read another post where someone mentioned adusting the rear brake switch....the wires all seem to be connected.....nothing shorted out......

is this something that can be adjusted or does it need replacing?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Rear brake switch is a pressure switch . There is nothing to adjust,it's off w/no brake,closed w/brake. Most you can do is put ohmeter on it and see if it changes state when pedal is pushed.no change = bad switch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....I guess I have a bad switch...

So, let the Moto Co fix it under warranty, or is it an easy swap out? Looks like I may have to remove my exhaust to get to it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what size wrench this thing is??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Fix under warranty. Don't know if pulling switch opens hydraulic brake line or not. Check service manual.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it was a bad rear brake switch. $20 part...

Yes, it is hydraulic and when you remove the old one, it opens up the brake line...so you have to bleed them when you are done.

Turned out to be a 30 minute job.....everything works fine now.....much easier than taking it in to the dealer for the warranty repair.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
switch

Glad it was a cheap fix.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too.....

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Yes, it was a bad rear brake switch. $20 part...

Yes, it is hydraulic and when you remove the old one, it opens up the brake line...so you have to bleed them when you are done.

Turned out to be a 30 minute job.....everything works fine now.....much easier than taking it in to the dealer for the warranty repair.....
do you have abs on your bike? i've heard that if you need to bleed the brakes with abs, you need the digital tech....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, unfortunately, I do not. The process is very different with ABS and the manual provides procedures for both.....

You have to have the additional equipment to mess around with the ABS....

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just took my bike in for an inspection sticker on Thursday and it would not pass due to no rear brake light. Since I have the inspection done at an indy shop they ended up changing the rear pressure switch as well. My cruise control was working fine, just no light. I have no idea how long it has not been working. I normally do my own work, but since I was already at the shop and the indy had a box of switches in stock they changed it. Parts and labor come out to $50 dollars.

Just a warning for other readers, this looks like it might be a wear item and should be checked on a regular basis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I googled it the other day and there are a ton of posts about these things on a bunch of forums....one of the dealerships I spoke with said he wasn't aware of a big problem with them, but it's something to keep an eye on...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts