Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hats off to the MoCo for redsigning the rear brake caliper,putting rear pads on are a snap,this is the second thing that i have found to be easier to replace than om my 01 RG,the first was the gas tank

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I did my front and rear brakes, it took me longer to loosen the bolts than anything else, extremely easy. I couldn't see paying somebody to do it.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I dont think it could get easier really. Just did my rears today and took me about 15mins.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
never changed my brakes... am I guessing from your post correctly that you have to remove the front tire to replace the front pads?

D.
I had to remove one of my front calipers to get my front wheel off to take it in for a tire change. For those with single disc brakes it should be easier. You can take the caliper off with 2 bolts. Not that big of an issue.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont think you have to remove the front tire to replace the pads just take care working the caliper out around the fender

·
Registered
329 Posts
Kinda off the topic but I've got 2010 and 2011 Touring Service Manuals on CD (PDF). The file is to large to email so I mail them out. $5 if anyone is interested (to cover postage and the CD) send me a PM if interested. I take Paypal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't think I'll ever have to replace the rear pads since I never use them since there is absolutely NO stopping power to be had with them! I was shocked recently when I applied the rear brake without the front and it felt like nothing was happening. Anyone else notice this?

I'm coming off a much lighter BMW that had ABS brakes that were unbelievable (it's the like the hand of God coming down and stopping the bike!) so maybe it's just that along with the much heavier RGC, but it was a little unnerving. The good news is the front brakes work very well and I do have ABS on my RGC.

So with the exception of extremely slow maneuvering (where using the front brakes is a sure recipe for a dropped bike!) I don't see me using the rear brake too much!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think I'll ever have to replace the rear pads since I never use them since there is absolutely NO stopping power to be had with them! I was shocked recently when I applied the rear brake without the front and it felt like nothing was happening. Anyone else notice this?

I'm coming off a much lighter BMW that had ABS brakes that were unbelievable (it's the like the hand of God coming down and stopping the bike!) so maybe it's just that along with the much heavier RGC, but it was a little unnerving. The good news is the front brakes work very well and I do have ABS on my RGC.

So with the exception of extremely slow maneuvering (where using the front brakes is a sure recipe for a dropped bike!) I don't see me using the rear brake too much!
I almost never use my rear brake. The rear would only come in handy on an emergency grab a handful situation. I've had one instance this year and was pleased with the result. The ABS works!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper? Mine does not clear the wheel. Tried jacking it up but the brake assembly goes with the wheel (duh). The top of the caliper hits the rim and will not allow it to clear the disk. Err this should be the simple part.

2011 Ultra with abs. Stock mags for the ultra.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The trick turned out to be a standard shop practice. I forced it. A harder tug was all it took. I keep forgetting that working on Harleys is not a delicate operation.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a trick to removing the rear caliper? Mine does not clear the wheel. Tried jacking it up but the brake assembly goes with the wheel (duh). The top of the caliper hits the rim and will not allow it to clear the disk. Err this should be the simple part.

2011 Ultra with abs. Stock mags for the ultra.
Did not remove wheel to replace pads spread the pads out as far as they will go the caliper came right off

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The trick turned out to be a standard shop practice. I forced it. A harder tug was all it took. I keep forgetting that working on Harleys is not a delicate operation.
Ha...and just because a brain sergens tools are special grade SS (shinny) doesn't mean a hammer is not a hammer or scapel is not a knife:rolleyes::D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts