Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on getting the heat issue better on the M8 rear cyl exhaust pipe. I am tired of getting the inside of my right leg fried in our Florida traffic and heat. I have installed a de-catted oem header, helped some. I am thinking of removing the heat shield, wrapping the rear cylinder exhaust pipe and re-installing the heat shield. Looks like the clamp is long enough to do that. Maybe I will remove all the heat shields and have them coated to help a bit as well.

Has anyone done the wrap and re-installed the heat shield, if so, how did it work out? It is either that or buy a Goldwing. :wink:

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I am working on getting the heat issue better on the M8 rear cyl exhaust pipe. I am tired of getting the inside of my right leg fried in our Florida traffic and heat. I have installed a de-catted oem header, helped some. I am thinking of removing the heat shield, wrapping the rear cylinder exhaust pipe and re-installing the heat shield. Looks like the clamp is long enough to do that. Maybe I will remove all the heat shields and have them coated to help a bit as well.

Has anyone done the wrap and re-installed the heat shield, if so, how did it work out? It is either that or buy a Goldwing. :wink:
Wrapping the header will help some but there is a consequence in doing this. It will make your header brittle and it will start cracking and then you will have to replace it. I've seen this happen in just 2-3 riding seasons.

Have you tried the mid-frame heat deflectors or considered the HD fans?

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^^ Bummer, did not think of that, I do have the mid-frame heat deflectors. Back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What kind of mufflers are on it?

If they are restrictive, then there is no way to get the heat out of the pipe. Past that, a fatter tune will pull 50-100f off that pipe.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Check out Captain Itch. They have leather heat deflectors/shields that cover much more and you can have it plain or customized with stitching or studs. Had a plain one on my 12 Ultra and worked and looked great

·
Registered
969 Posts

If they are restrictive, then there is no way to get the heat out of the pipe. Past that, a fatter tune will pull 50-100f off that pipe.
Is there a consensus or perhaps a list of what mufflers/slip-ons get rid of the most heat? My bike has V&H Power Duals (no cat), FP3, some sort of Screaming Eagle mufflers, Big Sucker AC, and the Harley CoolFlow Fan. I am still getting cooked and am thinking it is the mufflers that are restricting me. All of this stuff came on my bike when I bought it and I have had the guys at V&H customize tunes for me to help.

I definitely DO NOT want my bike to be louder (especially at highway speeds), but I am tired of having my right leg/thigh get roasted.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Iam on a TC, so maybe no comparison. I wrapped my rear pipe on my 2>1 Reinhart in an attempt to reduce the heat. Made absolutely no difference, except I only look down 5 or 6 times thinking my jeans are on fire, instead of every 30 minutes.
I installed the HD Cool Fan on my 15 and that made a BIG difference! The local dealer told me it would not fit (I did have to drill new mounting holes) and then told me that I would not work with the Canbus.
Iam on my second summer with it

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Is there a consensus or perhaps a list of what mufflers/slip-ons get rid of the most heat? My bike has V&H Power Duals (no cat), FP3, some sort of Screaming Eagle mufflers, Big Sucker AC, and the Harley CoolFlow Fan. I am still getting cooked and am thinking it is the mufflers that are restricting me. All of this stuff came on my bike when I bought it and I have had the guys at V&H customize tunes for me to help.

I definitely DO NOT want my bike to be louder (especially at highway speeds), but I am tired of having my right leg/thigh get roasted.
If you can see through it, end to end, it will lower the heat at the pipe, assuming the cat fell out.

But those straight through glass packs tend to be loud. SE only sells db compliant cans now, and I doubt any of them are straight through. Fact is, you prolly couldn't shake 000 buck through them if you had a paint shaker.

I listened to a lot of cans in the last few months, and looked at a lot of dyno ponography. The S&S mk45 is what I settled on. Pretty quiet at idle and light load, but bark when you roll the power on. Real deep tone all the way through.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have HD street cannons, not as good as aftermarket. Keeping HD until my warranty is out.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out Captain Itch. They have leather heat deflectors/shields that cover much more and you can have it plain or customized with stitching or studs. Had a plain one on my 12 Ultra and worked and looked great
Thanks for posting the info, I was going to ask about this company, but could not remember the name.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes I had a friend wrap his pipes and when he removed the wrap several years later the chrome came off with a rusty mess. He was able to poke through the pipe with a screwdriver in one place.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anytime! A weird name for a company but they have great products! The stock Harley deflectors are a bit short but these help a lot better
Really weird name, but mine should arrive today.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Don't take this personal, but you got crap cans when it comes to getting rid of the heat. But that's all the MoCo sells these days.
I don't know if they are as crappy as you think based on our previous discussion and from your description above. The HD Street Cannons at least that come with their high flow exhaust system is straight through. and open except for the CATS. I have removed the CAT in the left pipe to see if it increased in volume and it was very minimal. I will remove the other CAT soon and then I will be completely CAT-less. Not at all saying they will perform as well as the MK45 or others as I have not dyno tested but just wanted to state that not only could you pour buckshot through them but I can drop golf ball through these. So maybe they would get rid of the heat.

I just remembered that I did drill out the three rivets holding the baffles in near the tips and removed them before I installed them. Very easy to do and have had no issues at the dealer what so ever for doing it BTW.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't take this personal, but you got crap cans when it comes to getting rid of the heat. But that's all the MoCo sells these days.
Not at all, I did this as I wanted a bit more tone. Aftermarket cans are mostly way too loud for me these days. If I could fine some cans that give a nice tone, close to stock, I would consider them.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Not at all, I did this as I wanted a bit more tone. Aftermarket cans are mostly way too loud for me these days. If I could fine some cans that give a nice tone, close to stock, I would consider them.
If you want flow, without the noise, then S&S mk45's are the cans you need.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
How do these compare to CVO cans with the small fullsac baffles (cat removed) for heat and sound volume?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can't really say, never did or heard a side by side comparison that included the kits. And you would need to know which kit and what addons for the CVO kits.

I would guess that the kits are louder, just based on the fact that they wont ship them to Cali. And based on the videos, for what that's worth, they have a higher tone and more crack to them. Videos are really only useful when they compare several cans on the same camera setup.

The mk45's are a very deep subdued rumble at idle. They really don't have any of that "hey look at me" noise to them. 67 db is what I measured on mine. And they do get louder with load, but the tone stays very deep.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts