Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 RG that just started the rear cylinder missing intermittently. its started yesterday and i thought it had to do with riding in rain recently. Came out of it after a couple miles and is now do it doing it again. The fuel tank was low so I thought maybe I had gotten some bad gas filling up again did not seem to help. When it idles, it revs high. Any suggestions? Thank you

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'd start at the plugs and work your way back. Plugs, plug wire, ignition coil, charging system and battery / battery connections. If all that looks OK you'll need to move onto the fuel system. If it's neither spark or fuel guess you might do a compression / leak down test on the rear cylinder. My cousin rides a 2011 HD and he was having a very similar issue. Seemed like the rear cylinder was miss-firing. We changed plugs, replaced the rear plug wire, checked fire from the coil and then went through the fuel system. We didn't check the battery because it was less than 2 months old. Problem persisted. Travis called me a couple of days later and said his bike was dead in the parking lot of the gym and that he needed a jump or a tow.

I got on the road and about 20 minutes later he called and said that he had a loose terminal on his battery. He tightened that up and hasn't had an issue since.

Maybe you'll get luckly...................

The last thing I can think of is that maybe the rear cylinder O2 sensor is acting up.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You can reset the idle with the bike off. Cycle the ignition on-off deliberately 4-5 times. ( Can't remember which) Restart and idle should be correct.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
followup

I did not have much time to work on it this weekend but I notice when it starts it runs fine for a while, like ten to fifteen minutes. Then is starts missing on rear cylinder. The bike has about 19000 miles so I wonder if it might be fuel filter or full pump. I will try to work on it this week. Thanks for the advise

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
you aren't referring to the eitms by chance are you? how about more info as to what the conditions are when it is doing it?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Something similar was going on with a friends bike last weekend, he took off the air cleaner , looked at the wiring under the manifold and found a couple wires that had insulation worn though and were grounding out..fixed them and running great so far...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I have been riding in rain an awful lot lately so wiring is a concern. I just haven't got a good chance to work on it yet. It does start well and run strong on both cylinders for a while. Then it starts shutting down on one cylinder. The rear cylinder will kick in intermittently but wrote run right till i let it set a while.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know what kind of coils we have, but i do know some coils can over heat and stop working or not put out enough spark to keep the cylinder firing. Let it cool down and it will work till it over heats again. Not saying this is your problem, but worth it to maybe check it out.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have been riding in rain an awful lot lately so wiring is a concern. I just haven't got a good chance to work on it yet. It does start well and run strong on both cylinders for a while. Then it starts shutting down on one cylinder. The rear cylinder will kick in intermittently but wrote run right till i let it set a while.
Same deal with my friends...he resets the computer, turn on and off ignition a few times..are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not getting codes but I tried to start it this weekend and it wouldnt start. So now I am getting p1002 code which I believe is a ECM type code. I will look it up. Maybe some kind of short because of all the riding in thunderstorms. You all have been very nice helping. Thanks

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I was not getting codes but I tried to start it this weekend and it wouldnt start. So now I am getting p1002 code which I believe is a ECM type code. I will look it up. Maybe some kind of short because of all the riding in thunderstorms. You all have been very nice helping. Thanks
Good luck and keep us posted. According to information I've seen P1002 error code = System Relay Coil High/Shorted.

That could make some sense. If it were my bike I'd go out and pick up 3 new relays and swap them out. They are relatively inexpensive.... less than $7 a pop. Attaching illustrations to help out. See the three relays marked #12.

Also, while you're poking around, unplug the ECM and check for any corrosion on connectors. If any found, clean and then put a small dab of dielectric grease on the metal pins before reconnecting. Riding in the storms and everything getting soaked is pointing me in the direction of an electrical issue (along with the error code).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the relay and it started seems to run ok but i did not take it out long in fear of walking back. But am still getting codes 1001, 1002, 1003, 1355 and 1352. I looked up the codes and they are all coil related. So i will have to track from relay to coil I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts