Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bought 19 RG last yr 3 k on it. This yr 15 k on it. Put VH true duals . VH naked air cleaner an pv3 . Installed all 2 mos ago. Last Friday rear cylinder blows head gasket. Repaired last wk end. Ran fine for a wk. Tonight go for ride. Runs great come out to leave. Rear cylinder not firing. Limped home.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is this happening when bike is very warm at a stop light (idling) IE? If this is the case, this is the engine management system kicking in to attempt to cool off your engine by cutting fuel to the rear cylinder, so acting like an air pump.

Reactions: Q-Hog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
74 Posts
Roger what type of riding conditions were you in prior to the shutdown?

EITMS has been verified off and not at fault?

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
If the bike is going into limp mode then there will be DTC codes.
Why did the bike blow a head gasket ? Did you replace the head gasket or have a shop do the work?
Did you do a compression test to see if the rear cylinder has compression?
If the rear cylinder lost compression you have another failed head gasket unless you have a loose sparkplug. If the head gasket failed then whoever did the work replacing the head gasket either didn't torque the head bolts to specs OR the head bolts were over tighten and the cylinder studs pulled out of the crankcase which is a expensive fix.

Mark

Reactions: HARLEY4EVER

·
Premium Member
2018 Roadglide Special Wicked Red
276 Posts
If the bike is going into limp mode then there will be DTC codes.
Why did the bike blow a head gasket ? Did you replace the head gasket or have a shop do the work?
Did you do a compression test to see if the rear cylinder has compression?
If the rear cylinder lost compression you have another failed head gasket unless you have a loose sparkplug. If the head gasket failed then whoever did the work replacing the head gasket either didn't torque the head bolts to specs OR the head bolts were over tighten and the cylinder studs pulled out of the crankcase which is a expensive fix.

Mark
So this might sound stupid but I watched a video where a guy showed the small area between the cylinders, mainly the rear, and it was a video about the crankcase pressure and doing the dipstick vent mod? Could it have anything to do with crankcase pressure? If that sound stupid nevermind...lol.
Kevin 👊 👊 👊

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
As far as I know your crankcase butterfly vent valves have to fail closed to have crankcase pressure build and all that would do is cause the the crankcase to sump causing the bike to run bad .
Never heard of that being a cause of head gaskets blowing.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2018 Roadglide Special Wicked Red
276 Posts
As far as I know your crankcase butterfly vent valves have to fail closed to have crankcase pressure build and all that would do is cause the the crankcase to sump causing the bike to run bad .
Never heard of that being a cause of head gaskets blowing.

Mark
I'll have to keep looking. I'm probably wrong but whatever it was, I remember he showed the head gasket and explained why it failed in the rear portion between the two cylinder holes. Just can't quite remember why, driving me crazy......I'll keep looking!
Kevin 👊 👊 👊

1 - 15 of 15 Posts