Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man am I struggling with this new bike. Maybe I should have kept the old bike (2012), but it seems nothing is working out on the new bike. EVERY single thing I've done has had issues, and each issue would be it's own thread (actually, the audio issues WILL be their own thread, but I'm waiting on one of our forum vendors to make things right).

Anyway, I've got less than 500 miles on the new RGS, and after leaving the dealership last night from having the radio flashed I kept smelling oil burning. I have the RSD Clarity series rocker box covers (FFS, DON'T EVERY BUY THESE!!!), and I figured it was the covers leaking which I guess they tend to do.

When I got home I did some serious looking and the oil is seeping out between the bottom of the rear cylinder and the case. I called the dealership today and they can't get it in to look at it until the end of May, after Memorial Day. WTF? IT'S A NEW DAMN BIKE. I would have expected since they sold it to me and it has almost no miles on it they would be concerned. Guess not. My biggest issue here is that to fix it they will have to tear apart the engine on a new bike. This means I won't have access to it during that time. I also worry about having future issues afterwords (trickle effect, seems nothing is ever the same once you start tearing them apart).

Just venting a little here, but also wondering how concerned I should be an whether I should be on the phone to HD corporate and be complaining to them?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the same thing with my 13 RGU, service manager told me it was normal during break in. Stopped before the first service and no problems since.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Clean the area with something that will remove the oil, then keep an eye on it. It's possible that it's just assembly lube from the factory.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have read a ton of threads over the years with the exact same problem and most of them go away as suggested after a short time, since they can't get you in till Memorial Day (what a load of crap that is!) I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Super Moderator
13,524 Posts
As the above post stated, not the first time it's happened, and most times it disappears. Enjoy riding until after the holiday, clean it and check again. BTW your dealership sucks if it's going to take more than 3 weeks to look at a bike.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Slight seeping at new is normal. Maybe for the first 1000 miles. It's from the assembly lubes and such used. Clean it well and once the little bit that was in there has seeped out it will be dry. Reason is that these use o-rings instead of base gaskets. The o-rings are lubed before install and there is a bit of oil that can come out between the unjacketed surfaces of the jug and case.

If it continues or is much more than slight seeping, then get it in to the dealer. The dealer probably isn't too worried about it because it is new and I'm sure that they've seen it before. Either way, you won't damage a bike by running it with small leaks. It's when the oil has run dry that you have problems.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Over oiling of the base gasket o-ring during assembly is a real good possibility so give it some time, just clean it up and keep a eye on it the oil leak should go away.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
My 2012 had the same issue,after 1500 miles it never changed so off with the rear head and cly,so the dealer agreed to pull the front head and cly so i could send then out for diamond cut.So when i took the heads and clys back i asked the service manager if they found a problem,he told me that when they inspected the rear o-ring it had a small cut in it,so after a new o-ring there was never an issue with any oil seepage,i hope this is not your issue but it does happen,just keep in mind the dealer didnt build it,they have to warranty it,my dealer didnt charge me anything for parts or labor for pulling the front head and cly,in part because i remained calm during all of this.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the input. Not getting much riding in at the moment as I'm struggling with getting a sound system that actual works and performs. I'm hoping by this weekend I'm out getting the miles on it. As stated, time will tell how it goes, but thanks again for the input. This is my 4th Harley and first time I've had this happen, but I'll remain calm and see how it goes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got the bike into the dealership. I've cleaned it and the seeping has returned, then the dealer did the same thing. They called and said it needs the cylinder base gasket replaced. Supposed to have it tore apart today and reassembled tomorrow. I told them as long as it's done before Friday morning I'm good. I can't miss a biker party because of a damn leak!

This new bike has been cursed. The end cap to the exhaust got scuffed when new, during the dyno tune and had to be replaced. It took forever for the handlebar project due to missing parts from the vendor. Some of the RSD parts I added to the bike had to be removed already due to issues. I'm on the 4th iteration of sound system due to lack of sound or audio issues (don't use J&M Corp stuff!) with new components. I've managed to scuff a side cover and dent the front fender as well as chip the paint on the front fender while doing all of this work. My new Avon throttle grip was slipping on the twist grip sensor gear causing it to disengage the throttle so I've got to order a new one of those.

I won't even ask "what's next" for fear there is an answer.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I feel your pain,my bike was in for warranty work 5 or 6 times in the first 6 months of riding,that didnt include catching a parking cone on the front fender in Daytona when it was two weeks old,twisted the shit out of it,but the front fenders have been made so thin that after a little tweeking by hand you would never know it.Since the oil leak issue havent had any problems so far,now about to turn 22,000 miles,keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.