Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I ran into bit of a problem on my 1982 FLT. The enclosed rear drive chain needs some new seals. My local really good HD dealer can't even find the part numbers. I had to take it apart to replace the really shot rear brake rotor. :crying:

Anyone got any clue on what to do about the seals?

I suppose I can just run an open chain or switch to belt drive. The belt drive will be pretty expensive.:surprise:

Maybe I could coat the original seals with silicone goo and reassemble.:wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool, I will now chase that part number.

·
Administrator
10,595 Posts
Lover of enclosed chains , they last forever .. Don't ask me how I know this , but when you re install do not over torque the axle or you will get the seals leaking again , not that I ever did this mind ewe ..

So curious , what are you using for tires now a days ?? Is there still the god awful D291 with that funky lip and the D491 ??

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lover of enclosed chains , they last forever .. Don't ask me how I know this , but when you re install do not over torque the axle or you will get the seals leaking again , not that I ever did this mind ewe ..

So curious , what are you using for tires now a days ?? Is there still the god awful D291 with that funky lip and the D491 ??
Well the tires seem to be in pretty good shape. I really am just going to flip this one and I will warn the new owner that they are pretty darn old.

Everything will be torqued with the torque wrench.

The project bike is coming along slow but sure, I had to paint bunch of the "tins" as they were just plan nasty with a couple of hidden butchered up spots and a cracked tour pak. I had to repair those items. Some of the chrome is going out to a local shop.

I have to agree on the chain, it looks like brand-new as do the sprockets.

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I think it would be cool if you could post some pics of your project. I cant wait to see it when you finish.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would be cool if you could post some pics of your project. I cant wait to see it when you finish.
Yeah it is real FUGLY right now, Just about stripped down all the way, I think front wheel to change brake rotors will be the last tear down required. I have some snaps but will hold off till I start to make some more progress.

It will make a nice rider when done. Pretty stock really. Motor has good compression and a fresh carb, should run just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts