Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting at a red light in Downtown Sunday afternoon when I was totally wiped out from behind. Knocked the bike about 20 foot and threw me off. Impact was from the left rear turn signal side (not direct center). Anyone have a thought on if the frame is bent?

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Let the professionals figure out what is wrong with the bike! Are YOU ok? Damn that sucks!

Scoop

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I hope you are ok, This is my big fear in riding as I have been rear ended 3 times in a car. I'm glad you are able to e-mail and hopefully not from a hospital bed.

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Glad to see you escaped with what seems like minor injuries. You might want to have a Dr. check you out. Your bike can be replaced so let the professionals handle that part. I hope everything works out quickly for you.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
5,188 Posts
Glad you are okay. Don't sweat the bike, the pros will handle that for you. As long as you walked away, it's all good. I am just glad you had a helmet in your saddle bag in case ya needed it. :D Sorry, had to try to add a little humor to a bad situation for you.

Rowdy

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Glad you got off with minor scrapes. I had a similar episode on my old Nomad 1600 and the frame was not damaged, the tour pack (had an HD tour pak on it) ate up most of the impact, acting like a crumple zone and the bike went over one way and I jumped off and landed on my feet.

It looks like maybe your saddlebag took a lot of the force of the stunt driver.

Yeah, the shop will determine whether it is frame damage or not - but it will suck not having a bike.

Do consider getting checked out medically - and let the stunt driver pay for that too. If the driver's insurance doesn't want to make you whole and happy, do consider a lawyer too - don't settle if it isn't covering everything.

·
Super Moderator
13,524 Posts
Glad to see you're well enough to even worry about the bike. I would definitely have it checked, the frame can be bent without you realizing it, believe me, I know from experience. Did the driver stop?

·
Registered
490 Posts
That sucks! The bike can be fixed. The most important thing is to make sure you are OK.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rear ended

Glad you are okay. Don't sweat the bike, the pros will handle that for you. As long as you walked away, it's all good. I am just glad you had a helmet in your saddle bag in case ya needed it. :D Sorry, had to try to add a little humor to a bad situation for you.

Rowdy
As you can see that shorty helmet is in the bottom of the bag........it's a spare for passengers............

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know of 2 guys here that got hit in the rear.. Not even close to what you had.. They both ended up with just crinkled fenders, so they didn't call police..Took information from hitter, took both to court (because they both denied hitting them) and both lost and had to pay for their own repairs..Lesson #1..ALWAYS call the police or you are liable to get HOSED!!!!

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Glad you're OK!
Same thing happened to me in 2009. I was sitting at a stop light and WHAM a minivan rear ended me dead center.
All my damage was in the fender and saddlebags and chrome parts, I have the saddlebag guards that wrap around the saddlebags and that absorbed most of the impact, I had no frame damage..
HD dealers will just replace parts even if it has a scratch on it because the dealer doesn't do body work or paint. Because of the saddlebag guards on my bike the saddlebags where in good condition except for some scratches so I asked for and receive my damaged parts. So ask for your damage parts because you may have a few spare parts that can be repainted or you can sell them.
The frame ends right at the front of the rear fender and the only place there may be frame damage is where the swingarm attaches to the frame so make sure the dealer inspects that area of the bike.
It will take 6 to 8 weeks for the bike to be repaired because it takes that long to get the painted parts from Harley.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Glad to hear you are basically OK. Do as the others here have suggested:

(1) go and get checked out. I dont care how you felt after the impact go a let a doctor give you the OK. Been there and done that.

(2) You have and pay insurance for a reason. Turn the whole thing ver to them. Make sure they are doing their job, but let them and the professional techs worry about your scoot.

Again, glad you are OK

·
Registered
348 Posts
Glad to hear you are basically OK. Do as the others here have suggested:

(1) go and get checked out. I dont care how you felt after the impact go a let a doctor give you the OK. Been there and done that.

(2) You have and pay insurance for a reason. Turn the whole thing ver to them. Make sure they are doing their job, but let them and the professional techs worry about your scoot.

Again, glad you are OK
I agree with his assessment. I got tossed with what I thought to be just minor bruises and aches. several months later developed right arm and shoulder pain that has required therapy( thankfully no surgery). One can never be overly cautious after such a hit. Glad you are otherwise OK.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,818 Posts
Nothing I can add to what's been said other than as a member here, I'm glad to see a fellow RG.org'er walk away from an accident. That doesn't always happen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.