Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the thread about getting the AUX wire ran thru the back of the HK and wanted to do it since that is the input I use most. I ran a cable into the back of the HK and soldered the wires into place. Then I cut the board where it showed so the AUX input would be active without the plug in the face of the HK.

Then I plugged in my ipod and the left speaker is really weak. I changed to my phone AUX, still weak left signal. Used another AUX cord and plugged into the front of the HK, still weak left signal. Re-Soldered the wires to the board, still weak left signal.

I double checked the Red-Right, Black-Left. they are hooked up correct. All 3 wires on AUX cable ohm out. There is 200 ohm resistance between all three of the AUX jack points on the board. CD player and radio do NOT have weak left signal. both right and left channels have same volume output on those sources.

Could it be possible that I cut the board too deep and possilby cut thru a portion of the left channel signal conductor? Any input would be helpful. I don't want to replace the HK if I don't have to. Mainly because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the hand control adaptor.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yea...you cut it too deep.
Cutting the trace is not the proper way to do that. The circuit should have been modified.

Try Iron Cross Audio, they can probably get you straightened out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Link problem

Link didn'twork for me, I found it by going to http://www.hdbomm.com/index.html
then scrowl down to the thread for
Rear Auxiliary Input Jack Modifications for the Harmon Kardon Radio
hope this helps.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yea...you cut it too deep.
Cutting the trace is not the proper way to do that. The circuit should have been modified.

Try Iron Cross Audio, they can probably get you straightened out.
Thanks for this info... i always thought cutting the trace was the only way to go.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Could it be possible that I cut the board too deep and possilby cut thru a portion of the left channel signal conductor? Any input would be helpful. I don't want to replace the HK if I don't have to. Mainly because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the hand control adaptor.
Unfortunately you did not know about the new way to 'trick' the unit that something is plugged in to the aux jack in front. Rather than cutting the trace, the new way requires you to remove an inductor from the circuit board using a pencil solder.
Otherwise, make sure you have a good solder on the left+, and/or check to make sure you have the common -wire and the left+ and right+ wires in the right location.
hope you can get it fixed!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I saw the thread about getting the AUX wire ran thru the back of the HK and wanted to do it since that is the input I use most. I ran a cable into the back of the HK and soldered the wires into place. Then I cut the board where it showed so the AUX input would be active without the plug in the face of the HK.

Then I plugged in my ipod and the left speaker is really weak. I changed to my phone AUX, still weak left signal. Used another AUX cord and plugged into the front of the HK, still weak left signal. Re-Soldered the wires to the board, still weak left signal.

I double checked the Red-Right, Black-Left. they are hooked up correct. All 3 wires on AUX cable ohm out. There is 200 ohm resistance between all three of the AUX jack points on the board. CD player and radio do NOT have weak left signal. both right and left channels have same volume output on those sources.

Thanks
I did the same thing and cut too deep, I am sending my radio into iron cross so they can fix it as soon as I get my bike back.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much did they quote you for the fix? I am on the fence about replacing the HK for an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Unfortunately you did not know about the new way to 'trick' the unit that something is plugged in to the aux jack in front. Rather than cutting the trace, the new way requires you to remove an inductor from the circuit board using a pencil solder.
Otherwise, make sure you have a good solder on the left+, and/or check to make sure you have the common -wire and the left+ and right+ wires in the right location.
hope you can get it fixed!
DED - which inductor are you talking about? I'm considering doing this mod today and want to make sure that I don't mess ANYTHING up!! I looked at the Iron Aces write and they make it sound simple but most on here seem timid about doing this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
111 Posts
DED - which inductor are you talking about? I'm considering doing this mod today and want to make sure that I don't mess ANYTHING up!! I looked at the Iron Aces write and they make it sound simple but most on here seem timid about doing this.

Thanks,
Go to http://www.hdbomm.com/index.html
then scrowl down to the thread for
Rear Auxiliary Input Jack Modifications for the Harmon Kardon Radio

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just did this mod. As soon as my faceplate gets back from Marty and I get the scoot back together, I'll post some pics. I will say that it was quite nerve racking messing around in that radio with the hot soldering iron! I just hope she works!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just noticed a post about the "Yellow" left + wire and wanted to pick your brains on that.
The input that I got had three wires in it, but not that color. I had:
Red
Black
Bare wire (not covered)

I treated the red as the right + that solders to the point closest the radio.
The black as the common - that solders to the point closest to the input opening.
And the bare wire as the left + that solders to the other side by itself.

Do you guys think I was right with that? Since the red and black were both there, I just assumed that the other was the left +. I won't be able to hook it up until my faceplate gets back from Marty but thought I would check here to see if you guys thought I did the right thing.

Thanks,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts