Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am not the best Wrench, in fact I am amateur at best. I have bought a second set of tins for a paint project.

I want to know if I can remove and install the rear fender without having to remove the rear wheel? Service manual says to remove the wheel. This is where my confidence begins to wain and I don't want to mess with the wheel, belt, brakes etc. Can I do this with the bike on the jack say 6-8 inches off the floor? The bike would be secured to the jack of course.

The local shop I deal with wants 2K to remove and install the tins I do not think there is that many labor hours involved for a professional. I have tools, some common sense, a service manual and room to store the bike this winter while the paint is being done.

Any tips, help or tutorial from someone that has done it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't know for sure about pre-'09 but on my '10 I was able to by removing the mounting hardware from the fender and lifting up. It was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't be intimidated by rear wheel removal, it goes back together rather easy. With the manual and common sense I should be fine. Mark the adjusting nut and washer before u remove so u know where your belt tension should be. I wouldn't risk taking a short cut with newly painted tins. What kinda paint job did u go with ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok, I am not the best Wrench, in fact I am amateur at best. I have bought a second set of tins for a paint project.

I want to know if I can remove and install the rear fender without having to remove the rear wheel? Service manual says to remove the wheel. This is where my confidence begins to wain and I don't want to mess with the wheel, belt, brakes etc. Can I do this with the bike on the jack say 6-8 inches off the floor? The bike would be secured to the jack of course.

The local shop I deal with wants 2K to remove and install the tins I do not think there is that many labor hours involved for a professional. I have tools, some common sense, a service manual and room to store the bike this winter while the paint is being done.

Any tips, help or tutorial from someone that has done it will be greatly appreciated.
Actually now that I think about it u have to remove wheel in order to remove the wiring harness bracket. Actually u could remove it with the tire on but nearly impossible to reinstall without removing tire.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The 08 has the strut that goes over the top of the fender and holds the license plate. I would think that would make it very difficult if not impossible to remove the fender without dropping the wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same dilemma. I have removed the rear wheel and got the fender off but there is an orange and white wire that is outside of the harness and holding the fender to the bike. not sure if i should cut it and just sodder it back togethor after paint. there has to be some way to disconnect it without cutting it right?

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What year is your bike? Where does the wire come from and where does it go too? Can you post a picture? Did you take the rear taillights off of the fender. If you have the center brake light it may plug in there.

The rear fender on the 08 and back bikes can be removed without removing the rear wheel. Have done it a couple of times now. Takes some major dis-assemble of the rear part of the bike but it can be done.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
I had my tins painted and replaced my rear fender to an '09 street glide. I did not remove my rear wheel to get the old fender off or new one on. There are 6 main bolts holding the fender on to the frame (struts) and rear fender support + some wiring harness. On the '11 the rear harness unplugs behind the battery. Don't know about before that. You should get a manual that will tell you what to do in this situation.:D

·
Registered
809 Posts

The only reason to take the wheel off is one bolt at the front of the fender. The easiest way I have found to get to that one bolt is to take the left side panel off. Put a jack under the dog bone cross over to support the bike. Once the bike is supported you take out the top shock bolts, then jack the frame up allowing the back wheel to stay on the ground. This gives me enough room to squeeze my hand in between the tire and fender.

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Frankie,

Thanks for the advice. On some of the rear fenders I have here there is no screw hole in that position. The real FLTR fenders don't seem to have it. I have seen it on a Road King and an Ultra fender.

That top post is from 2011 and believe me I am doing more wrenching on this bike now. I also have an assortment to tools spread all over tables in my shop.

P.S. Send me a video with 2 diet coke cans affixed and I will be really impressed.:D

·
Registered
809 Posts
Hello Frankie,

Thanks for the advice. On some of the rear fenders I have here there is no screw hole in that position. The real FLTR fenders don't seem to have it. I have seen it on a Road King and an Ultra fender.

That top post is from 2011 and believe me I am doing more wrenching on this bike now. I also have an assortment to tools spread all over tables in my shop.

P.S. Send me a video with 2 diet coke cans affixed and I will be really impressed.:D

That is odd, I have pulled two fltr rears fenders off and they both had the bolt up in front of the tire. I wonder if it is a case of "the Friday build" going on. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts