Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running the HD Premium ride hand adjustable touring shocks on my 2009 CVO Road Glide after replacing the OEM air shocks. We are 400# rider/passenger weight combined with a chopped tour pak and I run two up 90% of the time.
Which of the following shocks would you recommend if I was to replace the currents shocks as I still am not happy with the ride.
JRi shocks
EMC shocks
Race Tech
Pro-Action
Super Shox
Progressive
Legend

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am currently running the HD Premium ride hand adjustable touring shocks on my 2009 CVO Road Glide after replacing the OEM air shocks. We are 400# rider/passenger weight combined with a chopped tour pak and I run two up 90% of the time.
Which of the following shocks would you recommend if I was to replace the currents shocks as I still am not happy with the ride.
JRi shocks
EMC shocks
Race Tech
Pro-Action
Super Shox
Progressive
Legend
Here you go...

None of the above.

Ohlins

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had the adj. Harley shock for a while,thought I needed to improve the ride.used pro 955.ok when 2up,but to stiff when solo even on lowest setting.180-135 respective weights.for myself the adj. shock is easier to use than the progressive type.i will put the Harley shock back on before Laughlin ralley

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I don't have them yet, but plan on going Super Shox when funds allow. Hear nothing but great things.

Ohlins are top of the line, but out of my budget.

·
Registered
330 Posts
how much travel is available for rear shocks?

how much more are they than the SS or Progs?
I would check the free sag first. My rear was out about an 1/8 of an inch so I purchased the adjustable length. So with that the available strokes are 2 5/8s or 3 1/32. For HD 159 with correct springs about $700.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have Terry cable shocks they are amazing. When I was looking for shocks I scoured the forums and found complaints about all brands except for Terry Cables. Best of all he has 90 day satisfaction money back guarantee.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have Super Shox on the back, Legends cartridges up front, couldn't be happier. The choice is yours, all of the ones on your list will blow the stock ones away.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i put the super shox on in october. best upgrade i have done. wife is so happy with the change.
cant wait for the weather to break.
we are in the same weight class.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I've tried half of the ones on your list. Ohlins are the best hands down.

Reactions: E56789 and Mike U

·
Registered
80 Posts
i called howard told him how much i weighed and the wife too...we ride two-up mostly. he told me what i needed on my budget. he set them up, i installed them and haven't moved the setting once! i never bottom out, the bike tracks real nice in the corners, and most of all not a peep out of the wife!
oh! OHLINS all the way!!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
For me I may be riding solo without a tour pack or with a tour pack and two up. It came down to ohlins or super shox from everything I read, but the deciding factor was the ability to quickly change the spring preload by hand with the Super Shox. Now of course you may be fine with a setting between the two that you can compromise with and just leave it. The ohlins preload would be set with tools but does allow for hand adjustable dampening. Super shox does offer a long travel option as well which gives you an extra inch or 33% more travel than stock. In saying all this it doesn't appear that you need the easy preload adjustment so the ohlins would still be a great option as well.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I don't know which shock is the most comfortable but I can say that my bike handles like its on rails with Ohlins vs the stock crap. Ive noticed that I ride faster with the Ohlins and so have a couple of my buds. The bike just feels so much more planted. I have to make myself use the cruise more or Ill look down and be doing 70 in a 55 and not notice it.

Reactions: E56789

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
For me I may be riding solo without a tour pack or with a tour pack and two up. It came down to ohlins or super shox from everything I read, but the deciding factor was the ability to quickly change the spring preload by hand with the Super Shox. Now of course you may be fine with a setting between the two that you can compromise with and just leave it. The ohlins preload would be set with tools but does allow for hand adjustable dampening. Super shox does offer a long travel option as well which gives you an extra inch or 33% more travel than stock. In saying all this it doesn't appear that you need the easy preload adjustment so the ohlins would still be a great option as well.
+1. The good thing about supershox is that you can try them for 30 days and if you don't like them send them back without hassle so you can't go wrong. Easy adjustments, made in the USA ����, lifetime warranty. I've heard nothing but good things about oh's once they are dialed in right but I'm very happy with my supershox. They also offer discounts for law enforcement, military etc.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
+1. The good thing about supershox is that you can try them for 30 days and if you don't like them send them back without hassle so you can't go wrong. Easy adjustments, made in the USA ����, lifetime warranty. I've heard nothing but good things about oh's once they are dialed in right but I'm very happy with my supershox. They also offer discounts for law enforcement, military etc.
I haven't met anyone that has anything bad to say about Supershox. I wouldn't be scared to run them. Also the Ohlins can be difficult to dial in but once you do your good to go. They were pretty easy for me to get them set for me and me and the wife. Ive also got a little experience with suspensions back from my jeep days. Ive heard some guys complaining about that part of the Ohlins but never heard anyone have trouble with the Supershox.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I ran Ohlins on several of my bikes I loved them - unfortunately they are a lot of money - on the 17 I talked with Brian at SuperShox - I got the premiums - I am extremely happy with them, the 14" travel makes all the difference - no matter what you do for suspension if the shock has travel restriction you just will not get the ride - the 17 RGS had 12" of travel simply not enough, the shock wasn't bad quality but it bottomed out, the standard SuperShox fit's as factory and gives 13" of travel that one inch makes a big difference and gives a lot better ride - but the premium with the extension gives 14" which gives me all the travel I need - at 6'5 / 285 so I'm hefty without passenger / gear - I wanted a good shock just did not want to spend another 1700 for the Ohlins I normally ran - SuperShox fit the bill........

Reactions: Nordic Berserker
1 - 20 of 23 Posts