Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you check/add air to your rear shocks. Everytime I 'check' mine it turns into an 'add' and thats usually after I feel a couple of hard bumps from the rear every 1000 miles or so. I normally like to run about 40psi but when I check them they are usually around 15 to 20. I use the harley pump. Could I have a leaky fitting or hose or something else or is this just normal.

also.... HAPPY 4th EVERYBODY!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Shouldn't be leaking. Air them up and check connections with soapy water. Remember to bleed the system down with the pump before doing any repairs. If you don't you may get sprayed with oil.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't had one set of these shocks on the last four touring bikes I've owned hold air...they all suck and you think Harley would have come out with something that did. I've been looking at the progressive performance regular tye shocks

·
Registered
400 Posts
its a easy fix. just take some common dish soap that everyone has around the house mix it with some water and pour it on to the brass fitting going into the top of the shocks. If you have a air leak the dish soap and water combo will bubble up. More than likely you will have to remove you fittings out of the shocks and put some teflon tape on the threads to help seal them up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did the soap test and no obvious leaks. I re-teflon taped the two shock fittings, checked the push connections, and did an inner valve stem check. Then redid the soap test and still no obvoius leaks. Time will tell.

It's been HOT around here for a while but I will pay a little more attention to when I check them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wondered this exact same thing. Saturday night I pumped up to 45, we went out for about a short 15 mile ride to see some fireworks. The next day I checked it and was down to 35. We were going out today so pumped up to 50. We rode about 90 miles today, checked pressure when we got home. Down to 45. If it keeps losing pressure, I'll take it back to the dealer. I'm not messing with soap water and Teflon tape when the bike is barely 2 months old. I'll let the dealer deal with it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Every sharp jolt when I was in loaded touring mode those air pos excuse of a shock lose air, I understand how to soap test and IMHO those shocks are junk. Threw them away 3yrs ago and put on Progg. 440HD's and never looked back and what a difference....... I wouldn't even sell them to someone I didn't know!

Dirk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got a slow leak in the small tubes that go into the red fittings. I've taken it to HD and they've replaced the tubes and shocks both. Is there a simple fix for the tubes themselves? Seems like a pretty hoakie connection to me.
Thanks,
Irish

1 - 11 of 11 Posts