Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '13 Roadglide Custom and looking to replace the POS factory air shocks. I have located some of the 12" Premium hand adjustable shocks off of a '16 CVO.
Would that be a good inexpensive upgrade? Thanks.

Reactions: Road dawg

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
sure, it would be a slight upgrade. depends on the price if it's worth it or not. less than a couple hundred bucks, i would go for it. much more than that and you start getting into the range of 'you can get much better for not much more money'.

me personally, i had the 12'' premium adjustables. they were okay, but i found them to be kind of harsh on 'sharp' bumps, like small ridges in the road, etc. finally broke down and got a set of ohlins. more travel, and actually sat lower after adjusting the sag. rides much better....

·
Registered
407 Posts
if your looking to cheap out may as well stay with what you got. With that I spent the $800 on Supershox and man I tell you what that was probably the best investment I made, just got them dialed in after about 1500 miles of tuning, amazing what just a 1/8 turn can do

this is all my Opinion of course

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have the 13" CVO ones, they are a big improvement over stock. BUT, if you can help it, get the 13"...12s are harsh

Obviously they aint Ohlins...If ya got it ($$$), go for it!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’m a bit of a hard @$$ but I like my 12” Low shocks on my 18 FLTRXS; they run best if set to your weight geared out plus 40lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
I’m a bit of a hard @$$ but I like my 12” Low shocks on my 18 FLTRXS; they run best if set to your weight geared out plus 40lbs

The stock 12" Showa setup on '17+ RGS works just "ok" IF you have the preload set just right. However, the design absolutely sucks. Basically, the left shock and spring do the vast majority of the work. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKZ1BQgXPuc

Before you spend a bunch of money on chrome do-dads, stage 1, and stereo upgrades, invest in something that really matters, your suspension. I went with 13" Ohlins HD 159s. It transformed the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Would that be a good inexpensive upgrade?

Yes. I'm running the 12's and in my humble opinion, they are better than the factory air shocks...not as harsh. I run mine on the soft side, still experimenting between 10 and 15 turns. Picked up a like-new set for $150. Would prefer a better set of Ohlins / Supershox / etc., but not enough coin right now to upgrade. But a quality pair of rear shocks is definitely on my list. Already running Monotubes up front...another reasonably priced upgrade. Bike is a '13

·
Registered
397 Posts
The stock 12" Showa setup on '17+ RGS works just "ok" IF you have the preload set just right. However, the design absolutely sucks. Basically, the left shock and spring do the vast majority of the work. Check this out:

Before you spend a bunch of money on chrome do-dads, stage 1, and stereo upgrades, invest in something that really matters, your suspension. I went with 13" Ohlins HD 159s. It transformed the bike.

One side controls dampening the other side rebound.

Coming from a sport bike the factory shocks are a dream plus I weigh about 270 dressed

·
Registered
435 Posts

Awesome video, it really shows what you get on $26,000 plus investment.

·
Registered
519 Posts
One side controls dampening the other side rebound.

I don't follow what you are trying to say here.

There is such a thing as rebound dampening and compression dampening - which side are you saying does what?
There is no dampening adjustment on the OEM shocks.
The right shock is like a small spring on a trombone. It doesn't appear to do anything, per the video.
The left side has preload adjustment. I am assuming there is set rebound dampening in that shock. Don't know for sure.
Generally speaking, sport bike shocks are way more adjustable than what we see on the new RGs.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I don't follow what you are trying to say here.

There is such a thing as rebound dampening and compression dampening - which side are you saying does what?
There is no dampening adjustment on the OEM shocks.
The right shock is like a small spring on a trombone. It doesn't appear to do anything, per the video.
The left side has preload adjustment. I am assuming there is set rebound dampening in that shock. Don't know for sure.
Generally speaking, sport bike shocks are way more adjustable than what we see on the new RGs.
I am by no means a suspension expert or for that matter even very knowledgeable. I know that the rebound one side dampening is done on some types of suspension, more common in forks. This may have been the idea on these shocks. When I took mine off, the weak spring could not rebound a basketball. I could compress the spring over an inch with my fingers. The video showed that the shock has no dampening. That shock is essentially to make people believe that the bike has 2 shocks when in reality it is just a mono shock system. Unless cash is tight get some Super Shox, Ohlins or any quality shock will be heads and heels better than these. At least your getting 2 real shocks not 1 shock and a paperweight.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I agree that you should wait until you can afford a real upgrade that you will DEFINITELY notice. Progressive, Supershox, Ohlins, ProAction, Legend etc.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I respectfully disagree, i have the HD premium shocks and thought, they might not be in the class of Olins or Supershox they are damn good, my wife thinks they are way better than my Progressives i had before, for the money that i paid and they were 12 inch take offs i am real pleased, yes they would have been better if they were 13 inch version but a great worthwhile upgrade if you don't have the extra greenabacks to pony up for higher end shocks. The idea that i can dial in the pre-load if i have her on and the tourpak for me is key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drive a 2016 FLTRU. It is a real pain to have to pump air into the rear shocks every time I want to take my wife on a ride. It seems silly to have spent so much on this bike new, and have so many "improvements" calling out for my ride. Love the bike, but the design seems to lay groundwork that will constantly lure you into spending more money on an already premium priced motorcycle.

This is not to acknowledge the iterations that naturally occur, as in the changes to the engine from 2016-2017, but if you peruse the HD accessory catalogue, about 3" thick, it suggests that big profits lie in accessories and "improvements". Some would call that great marketing.

That said, I really love my bike!

Reactions: widerider03

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree 100%, the premium shocks should be standard, the factory air ride is total garbage, I hated them, with the upgrade done I was very pleased, right side dial adjustment only, I know some say this is a BS design, but if you do some research it's not, it's race car technology, and for what it is , it works very well. I would love to have a pair of Olins but there not in my budget.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have just installed 13" 2017 Ultra Limited on my 2016 FLTRXS. Love the upgrade. I'm 100kg and the other day had a 115KG pillion over rough roads. Did not bottom or scrape pegs, set at 12 turns.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
I have just installed 13" 2017 Ultra Limited on my 2016 FLTRXS. Love the upgrade. I'm 100kg and the other day had a 115KG pillion over rough roads. Did not bottom or scrape pegs, set at 12 turns.
I am also running 13" premium off of a 2017 ultra. Great improvement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I put a set of progressive 944-4002UT for my 2007 RG and it made a big difference.
Compared to the air shock, it rode like a magic carpet, better rebound contact, etc.

I'm on a 2018 RG now and can't stand the rear suspension, it's like there is no suspension.
I ordered a set of Ohlins from @Smarty and will have them on in the next week or so, I'll let you know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts