Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a set of 444s and I'm having a problem locating what I need. I have a '13 RGC and I am also installing -2 monotubes.

The Progressive site, when searching for a lower than stock height, only lists 11.5" shocks. Direct Harley Parts lists the 11.5" and 11" 444 shock. My questions are 1. Why doesn't progressive list the 11" shock on their site and 2. Should I go 11" or 11.5" with the front -2".

I know no one will be able to speak for progressive as per what's on their site but is the 11" shock a discontinued item?

Thanks in advance for the info. Also, I plan on going with a 21" wheel but not for at least another riding season.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Bump to the top. This is the same set up I'm considering. I'm also considering the Monroe air because of the price and WOW factor lol. Hopefully those running the 444 can chime in on the OP's questions.

·
Shark of the Month August 13
3,318 Posts
1) progressive lists the 444 in 11.5" cuz that's the shortest they make in production

2) the website your looking at that lists the 444 in 11" is most likely from when they changed there website over from the 440s to the new style 444s and never deleted the 11" length.......but that's just my guess

3) the 11.5" length rear shock will work and function just fine. But, will it be "okay" that depends on what your looking for outta your rear suspension....I'm assuming you want a low look while still being about to ride hard, if that's the case, nothing beat air ride ;)

Just my $.02 though

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) progressive lists the 444 in 11.5" cuz that's the shortest they make in production

2) the website your looking at that lists the 444 in 11" is most likely from when they changed there website over from the 440s to the new style 444s and never deleted the 11" length.......but that's just my guess

3) the 11.5" length rear shock will work and function just fine. But, will it be "okay" that depends on what your looking for outta your rear suspension....I'm assuming you want a low look while still being about to ride hard, if that's the case, nothing beat air ride ;)

Just my $.02 though

You hit the nail on the head. I want the low look but I love riding the twisties as well. The 444 seemed to be the happy medium between price and functionality.

I have looked into the Arnott air ride with 12" Bilstein shocks as well. I really don't want to spend $1000+ on rear suspension so that was my option with air ride.

If I went with air ride, are the Bilstein shocks suitable for what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thanks SIC .. I knew you'd suggest air. Stag there's a lengthy thread on Monroe air. I believe a self install can be done for around $250. It's gotten a lot of good reviews over the past year.

·
3,318 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. I want the low look but I love riding the twisties as well. The 444 seemed to be the happy medium between price and functionality.

I have looked into the Arnott air ride with 12" Bilstein shocks as well. I really don't want to spend $1000+ on rear suspension so that was my option with air ride.

If I went with air ride, are the Bilstein shocks suitable for what I'm looking for?

You'd do just fine with the Arnott bilstein setup, think custom dynamics is the cheapest listed price I've seen lately @ $506 with free shipping. Then get yourself a CVO switch and your in business with a clean look :thumbup: I ran the bilstein setup on my last three bikes with no issues or complaints........running the aldans this time, just to try them, I like the idea of the adjustable rebound :D but it does come at a cost! :eek:

I've personally haven't tried the Monroe setup (homemade air ride), some say its great and some buy Bilstiens/aldans to swap over after the fact. I think it's a case of "not knowing better" they ride great if the only thing you have to compare them to it the OEM setup :confused: LOL to quote RichieRich, I don't own a corvette so I have no need to buy a set of the Monroe's :rolleyes: LOL

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This may sound funny but I don't know if I want the adjustability. I'm almost afraid that I would always be adjusting them all the time.

I could be way off since I've never owned a bike with an adjustable air system.

·
3,318 Posts
Thanks SIC .. I knew you'd suggest air. Stag there's a lengthy thread on Monroe air. I believe a self install can be done for around $250. It's gotten a lot of good reviews over the past year.
Air :D best of both worlds :thumbup:

The biggest consistent issue/problems I've seen with the Monroe set is:
1) some guys get shocks that leak right out of the box, from the weld at the top of the shock body
2) some guys have problems with the air lines working there way out of the fittings. There are a few ways to fix/avoid this
3) not all shocks will work with the bolt on lowering kits, Gaberal's I think don't but the Monroe's do :confused: something like that
4) they take a LOT of air volume to fill, there's ways around this
5) 14" ride height, if your aired up to a decent psi

Bang for the buck.....$250 is cheap!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You got me thinking now. I was thinking 444 at around $500. No wonder RR is in so deep. You're a damn good salesman :D. BTW I was thinking Corvette when I 1st mentioned Monroe's. He's quite the comedian.

·
3,318 Posts
You got me thinking now. I was thinking 444 at around $500. No wonder RR is in so deep. You're a damn good salesman :D. BTW I was thinking Corvette when I 1st mentioned Monroe's. He's quite the comedian.
Kenny, it's only money :rolleyes: that's what Richie tells me SMH he's loaded though LOL

The 444s will ride/handle better than the the Bilstiens, there is no doubt about it. But the Bilstiens will ride better than OEM, there's no doubt about it LOL it's all about what your looking for

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 444s will ride/handle better than the the Bilstiens, there is no doubt about it. But the Bilstiens will ride better than OEM, there's no doubt about it LOL it's all about what your looking for
Damn it, decisions decisions.

I guess it boils down to the pros and cons.

With the air, I can achieve the low look that I want but have the ability to raise it up when I hit the twisties.

With the 444, I'll get a slightly better ride but sacrifice ride ability somewhat in the twisties.

Now I was told by Progressive tech support tht the 11.5" 444 will have my bike sitting level with the -2 up front. If I raise the air system up, with it affect handling because the rear will sit higher that the front?

Sorry to sound clueless but since you sound very knowledgeable, I'd rather pick your brain before making a large purchase.

Thanks for the I for so far, it's definitely helping me guide my decision.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Damn it, decisions decisions.

I guess it boils down to the pros and cons.

With the air, I can achieve the low look that I want but have the ability to raise it up when I hit the twisties.

With the 444, I'll get a slightly better ride but sacrifice ride ability somewhat in the twisties.

Now I was told by Progressive tech support tht the 11.5" 444 will have my bike sitting level with the -2 up front. If I raise the air system up, with it affect handling because the rear will sit higher that the front?

Sorry to sound clueless but since you sound very knowledgeable, I'd rather pick your brain before making a large purchase.

Thanks for the I for so far, it's definitely helping me guide my decision.

Define level? I'm -2 and 11.5 in the rear and I'd say it's basically level. However, suspension is still going to sag some when you sit on it. -2 and 12" in the rear (the set up you would have with Bilstein air-ride) isn't going to look crazy. I chose the 11.5 inch 412s from progressive to help my short legs out a bit when backing up and stuff but I don't think the 12" air ride is going to be bad.

What Sic said about filling the Monroe's with air is true. I compare watching someone air them up to that time spent filling a bucket with water when you are about to wash a car. It's takes just long enough to be annoying. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Define level? I'm -2 and 11.5 in the rear and I'd say it's basically level. However, suspension is still going to sag some when you sit on it. -2 and 12" in the rear (the set up you would have with Bilstein air-ride) isn't going to look crazy. I chose the 11.5 inch 412s from progressive to help my short legs out a bit when backing up and stuff but I don't think the 12" air ride is going to be bad.
By level I mean just as you described. I didn't think about sag after I sit on it but I can't imagine it being that much to look bad or take away from my turning ability.

After this discussion, I'm leaning more towards the 444s simply because there have been a lot of ppl that run them and are very satisfied with them. Not to say there aren't positive reviews about he air ride as well.

My main issue is 1. Multiple parts with the possibility of failure, very unlikely but still possible. And 2. I feel as though I'll find a happy place with the air shocks and leave them at that setting, therefore taking away the perk of adjustability.

All your information has been great up to this point and I'm very thankful. It's just gonna boil down to what I'm more confident spending my money on.

·
3,318 Posts
Finding your sweet spot with air ride is a matter of your first two or three rides, or, run a gauge and you can have it exactly where you want it every time......for me, solo is when the shocks are fully extended, 2up is fully extended an another second or 2.....nice ride quality without bottoming out

I wouldn't let "the sweet spot" dictate your purchase......It sounds like, you just been to decide if you want to have your bike slammed when parked or not LOL ascetically that's going to be the only real difference, ride height will pretty much be the same to the naked eye

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Finding your sweet spot with air ride is a matter of your first two or three rides, or, run a gauge and you can have it exactly where you want it every time......for me, solo is when the shocks are fully extended, 2up is fully extended an another second or 2.....nice ride quality without bottoming out

I wouldn't let "the sweet spot" dictate your purchase......It sounds like, you just been to decide if you want to have your bike slammed when parked or not LOL ascetically that's going to be the only real difference, ride height will pretty much be the same to the naked eye
For the price I could have upgraded my 412s to 444s but there is just something about the ability to air that sucker out when parked that is just sweet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Harley Dealer told me they would not lower the front end more than the rear end to to possible handling/liability issures. I went with the 11.5" 444's and Monotubes (-1inch) up front. I couldn't be happier. So much more control with my short legs and curves are very confident feeling.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I also run the arnotts on my 12 RGU the ones that run about 540.00 from DCP you can run up to and over 100lbs of air in them and they air up fast. I also bought a air gauge and installed it in the dash where the worthless air temp gauge was. I think it's a great setup and not one air leak

·
Registered
209 Posts
All this talk about rear shocks is very informing cause I have been considering changing my stock shocks that Im running a burly 1 inch lowering block on. So many choices air ride progressive shocks or burly shocks that are 10.5. I was told by the Harley dealer I deal with that if I wanted the best ride to go with the progressive shocks. If I wanted to have that slammed look when I park with a decent ride to go with air ride. Then theres the burly 10.5 rear shock my friend just put the burly slammer kit on his street glide and loves it said it rides good even 2up. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
No matter what shocks you get there will be pros and cons. Works good 2up but not good in the twisties. Good 1up and in twisties and horrible 2up. Everyone has different preferences. Me personaly i went with the monroe diy air shock set up. I literally just did them today so i do have to iron out a few kinks. I needed shocks so for the money i figured id give it a try. I only have about 20 miles with them so far cuz of work but once i fix what needs fixin i think ill be happy with them

1 - 20 of 25 Posts