Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, I plan to add a king tour pack to my 04 RG. I also want rear speakers. My questions is does the 04 RG come stock with the rear speaker wiring pre ran. There is a plug that doesn't go to anything I think on the left side of the seat kinda hidden. Is that it?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Harley did sell a Factory Ultra Style rear Speaker Kit (77149-98) for use on FLTR models 1998-2005. But it has been discontinued. You should be able to find a dealer that still has it, if you look around. An old Accessory Catalog states that to use this required separate purchase of an Overlay harness (70160-02) on '02-'05 FLTR Models that were standard on '98-'01. And check eBay for the kit.

Also, you were required to send your radio into the Factory to have the CB and Intercom Upgrade at an additional cost. One thing you also could do is to find an Ultra Radio (76146-04) that already has the rear speaker outputs already installed. This is the CD radio that you have on your year model. If you want to down grade to Cassette, find the 76146-98 Ultra radio.

Or you can go to the aftermarket companies and use their rear speaker amps to add the speakers.

As for the plug, I believe that is the light plug for the Tour Pak, not speakers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike I bought didn't come with a tour pack, but the hardware is there so I am hoping the last guy DID have a tour pack with speakers which would leave me with the harness still in place so I can add my own tour pack with speakers. I'll be doing some research I guess. I know it has the factory radio with the CD player. But are you saying the factory radio was only set up to drive the two fairing mounted speakers? with no "rear" outputs? And if that is the case, can speakers be "piggybacked" off the front speakers wiring as long as they are the same ohm rating, which I think for '04 was 8ohms?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After re-reading your post, are you saying that if I have a CD player (which mine does) that means it has the rear outputs? I really wish I had the CB feature. I'm guessing I don't as I don't see a jack anywhere, but my switch pod has the PTT button. Again I am new so thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Only the Ultra Radio came wired for rear speakers. As for wiring the rear off the front, the speakers are weak with just front. If you add two more, you will not be happy. If you figure on this, look into an amp kit. They are set up to add rear speakers. J&M or Hogtunes make good amps. You should check Dr.V-Twin for discount prices. They are a sponsor of this forum and give a discount.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
After re-reading your post, are you saying that if I have a CD player (which mine does) that means it has the rear outputs? I really wish I had the CB feature. I'm guessing I don't as I don't see a jack anywhere, but my switch pod has the PTT button. Again I am new so thanks for the advice.
No, only if you have the Ultra radio did you have the rear speaker outputs. If you have the Ultra Radio, you would have two large plugs on the back as well as the CB antenna plug.

Harley included the handlebar switches on the Road Glide until the '10 model year.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I did a google search, and that plug I see stubbed out in the back of my bike looks a lot like the end on this kit I see for sale on ebay right now, so maybe I have it. Maybe I can find a part number tag.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70160-02-AUDIO-HARNESS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3364375badQQitemZ220724681645QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQxZ43QQyZ6#ht_500wt_956
If so, you should find a second one on the other side along with the passenger headset plug.

One sure way is to look at the rear of your radio. If you don't have two large plugs, you don't have the speaker outputs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I am planning on painting my inner fairing, I already purchased replacement JM speakers for the fairing. I understand the benefit of an amp, but with this Harley wiring kit, I assume the factory radio will run the front and back decently? Is this the wiring that the after market amps tap into for the rear speakers? I kinda regret buying the speakers on a whim and should have done more homework to come up with a good system. Got that newbie bug to make changes to the new bike. Much thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If you have the rear speakers (on the Ultra Radio) they are adjustable using the Fader controls on the radio. I have always gone Factory and have not used aftermarket amps. I don't know how the hook up.

I have found eBay is the way to go when looking for parts to change anything. There is always people selling radios they change out.

You can also contact Radio Sound. They still perform repairs on their radios for Flat rates. They are the ones that made the radio for Harley up to 2005. Then Harley went to Harman/Kardon.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Here is an old post on V-Twin Forum about changing the Radio Sound radio to the Harman/Kardon radio. There are advantages to changing and disadvantages.

Check it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tee here, also a newbie but do have the 04 RG. You will need the wiring harness 70160-04, now maybe the one you foud on ebay will work. Unfortunatly you will also need the ultra radio 76146-04. For a complete list to convert the 02,03,04,05 RG to the ultra RG (this would include use and control of rear speakers) contact radiosound. I found that most of the parts HD no longer carries in inventory.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is an old post on V-Twin Forum about changing the Radio Sound radio to the Harman/Kardon radio. There are advantages to changing and disadvantages.

Check it out.
I have a 06 RG with the Harman/Kardon radio. On the lower dash it has a spreaker switch on it. When, push the switch to the lower postion the light comes on and spreaker display on the radio. I don't have a CB on it. Have not had a chance to look at the back of radio. Is it possable that, I can hook up a set of rear spreakes without a amp.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 06 RG with the Harman/Kardon radio. On the lower dash it has a spreaker switch on it. When, push the switch to the lower postion the light comes on and spreaker display on the radio. I don't have a CB on it. Have not had a chance to look at the back of radio. Is it possable that, I can hook up a set of rear spreakes without a amp.
I have the rear speakers hooked up on my 06. I made my own wire harness, I don't remember the pin numbers on the radio but if you have a service manual you can find them. The rear outputs for the HK radio are on, but the fader will not work without the dealer flash.
I could not see spending over $100.00 for harleys harness I bought 6 feet of 4 conductor wire for $5.00

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You say the fader will not without th dealer flash? What is that if you don't mine me asking. What is differs in the wire? Were the best to buy the 4 conductor.
The speakers work if the wires are plugged into the outputs. The flash from the dealer turns the Fader on.
As for the wiring harness, it has all of the wiring for the switches and the speakers. There are 6 per side. Only the two speaker wires are required to make the speakers work. You can take the speaker wires out and wire them up without the switches. Or run the Factory Harness and have the ability to add the switches at a later time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The speakers work if the wires are plugged into the outputs. The flash from the dealer turns the Fader on.
As for the wiring harness, it has all of the wiring for the switches and the speakers. There are 6 per side. Only the two speaker wires are required to make the speakers work. You can take the speaker wires out and wire them up without the switches. Or run the Factory Harness and have the ability to add the switches at a later time.
Ok Thanks, I will give it a shoot. So the switch on the lower dash will it work with that hook up or not.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ok Thanks, I will give it a shoot. So the switch on the lower dash will it work with that hook up or not.
That switch turns the speakers on and off. It serves no purpose unless you have the headset installed on your bike.

The switch directs the sound from the radio for both front and rear speakers, at the same time. It is moves the sound for the Radio, Intercom and CB between the speakers and the headset. The switch was installed, along with the handlebar controls, in all Road Glides until they were removed starting with the 2010 model. This made it easy to up grade the Road Glide to have the intercom and CB. The switch and controls are included in the Kit that installs the Intercom or CB. With '09 and earlier, you don't need to install these parts, because they are already there.But starting with the '10 model year, they will need to install those parts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts