Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Polk DB521 5.25" speakers for the rear tour pack. The magnets hit on the outside wall so speaker does not sit flush. Does anybody have any recommendations for rear speakers. I installed Polk 6.5" in the front fairing. I thought the front would be harder to install but they were easy. I'm having more problems with the rear speakers.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Could you extend the speaker housing with an adapter ring, so that it offers more depth? Im thinking it would have to custom built.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about shiming speaker out a little. I've read on this forum where other people have bought these speakers for the rear & was wondering what they did. I'm just going to get another set of speakers that fit right.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have had no problem installing any speakers there,maybe move any padding thats in there for clearence,I allways install some padding to pick up standing waves if you need adapters let me know I can fab some up,just make sure to seal the enclosure for proper speaker sound

·
Registered
119 Posts
I replyed to your PM.

Take the factory mesh speaker grill off. Lay it upside down, pry out the mesh spot-glued fabric from the speaker grill. It is now essentially a flat black speaker spacer.

Install the new "formerly a grill" spacer under the POLK speaker.

Paint silver POLK speaker grills FLAT black Krylon paint. Let dry.

Buy 8ea. new 1" longer machine screws from home depot, paint heads black.

Install.

POLK speakers need their speaker grills installed to protect and support their aimable tweeters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought about shiming speaker out a little. I've read on this forum where other people have bought these speakers for the rear & was wondering what they did. I'm just going to get another set of speakers that fit right.
Those Polks with the increased magnet size is better than anything that just "fits".

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had those, along with 4'' Polks in the glovebox doors on my last bike. Powered them with a Hogtunes amp. Sounded good until the amp crapped out, then the stock HK didn't seem to have enough power to drive the 4 ohm speakers. Are the stock speakers still 2 ohm on the new bikes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought some Polk DB521 5.25" speakers for the rear tour pack. The magnets hit on the outside wall so speaker does not sit flush. Does anybody have any recommendations for rear speakers. I installed Polk 6.5" in the front fairing. I thought the front would be harder to install but they were easy. I'm having more problems with the rear speakers.
I just did the same install for the rear speakers I used the speaker rings that came with the 6.5 that i put in the front. Break all the tabs and grind down whats left or take a knife and try to smooth them out. also I had to use the speaker covers that were included with the speakers it worked out well no problems hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts