Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took delivery of my RGC about 6 weeks ago and have put about 1800 miles on it so far. well, this is my first bike with adjustable air shocks and when I left the dealer, I obviously didn't know any better, but they hadn't filled the shock with any air. I found out, b/c my buddy who has a SG, after telling him the ride was rough on the rear and felt like I was bottoming out, he then got his pump and filled it up. Well, since then I have purchased my own pump and monitored to make sure no damage was done from when I rode until i was able to fill up.

My question to you, do you think riding on 0 psi damaged my shocks? The reason I ask is, even though I have filled the shocks with a range from 15 psi to 22 psi trying to find that sweet spot, nothing. I ride two up with the OL most of the time and when she is on and we hit any small insignificant bump, it feels hard. I mean, it feels like we pretty much bottom out and she comes off her seat ever so slightly. Should I take it in and have them replace those shocks? I need some help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The owners manual shows you can have from 0 to50 psi in the shocks.Don't think you can do any harm riding at 0psi. If you have the R/G custom it is 1" lower than the Ultra and the ride isn't the softest one out there. Another deal where form is over function. My 11 custom is pretty rough over bumps also.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Fill her up! Mine sits at just under 50 all the time and I have no complaints. Even with the woman on the back. I keep mine at 48. Of course I weigh 315lbs too so that doesn't help. :D

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
You need more air pressure especially when riding two up. The manual calls for 40-50 PSI in the rear for two up on your scoot.

I leave mine at 50 PSI all the time for the same reason and have no issues riding solo with that air pressure.

If your shocks are holding pressure I doubt you did any damage to them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owners manual shows you can have from 0 to50 psi in the shocks.Don't think you can do any harm riding at 0psi. If you have the R/G custom it is 1" lower than the Ultra and the ride isn't the softest one out there. Another deal where form is over function. My 11 custom is pretty rough over bumps also.
Ok. This is good to know. Just wanted to make sure that nothing was ruined. I had read about the 0-50 psi, but I don't recall seeing anything about prolonged riding and honestly only did about 70 miles on 0 psi. I weight 175 and my OL weighs 105. I've been told that 22psi is what I should be at. Any real world advice?

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Ok. This is good to know. Just wanted to make sure that nothing was ruined. I had read about the 0-50 psi, but I don't recall seeing anything about prolonged riding and honestly only did about 70 miles on 0 psi. I weight 175 and my OL weighs 105. I've been told that 22psi is what I should be at. Any real world advice?
According to the attached page from the service manual 22 PSI would be a good range riding solo with 40lbs. of luggage at your weight.

For two up give it 50 PSI and you can remove some air down till 40 PSI and see what range works best for you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
No matter what you do to the OEM shocks, your not going to get a great ride, just good at best. I seriously doubt if you did any damage to your shocks at 0 psi, probably just have a sore butt. In the future you might want to look at getting a good set of after market shocks, or even the HD premium shocks, that will be much better than stock.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No matter what you do to the OEM shocks, your not going to get a great ride, just good at best. I seriously doubt if you did any damage to your shocks at 0 psi, probably just have a sore butt. In the future you might want to look at getting a good set of after market shocks, or even the HD premium shocks, that will be much better than stock.
Yeah, I'm just trying to get it good enough from having my wife beat my kidneys to a pulp everytime we hit a bump. :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I run the shocks on my '09 at 22psi the entire two years I had it. Me being 200 and anyone riding ranging from 110-130 and never had issues bottoming out. I had the full length shocks as well. As everyone said, pump it up or get some good aftermarket units.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Try harleypartsdirect.com (I think that's right) progressive 440s in black were like $419

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will look into thanks. Although, i changed the seats and now have corbins on there. while it did nothing for suspension my wife does say that this seat absorbs more of the bumps now. So........So far so good. One step at a time I guess.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,133 Posts
I agree. I ended up getting Progressive shocks and have never looked back (literally).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try harleypartsdirect.com (I think that's right) progressive 440s in black were like $419
I recently traded my '04 EGU for a new '12 RGU. I also ride an '08 FLHTP at work. I've never had an issue with the rear suspension on the EG's, but am finding the ride with the RGU is not up to par, with the bike getting unsettled with large bumps and bottoming out too frequently. I'm going to buy a srecise air gauge and a hand pump. Is this a common problem with the RG's? I only ran 10 psi on the FLHTP and 15 on the '04 Ultra and always liked the ride and handling.

Phil's remarks about the progressive shocks interest me, but until my bank account recovers from the shock of the puchase of the new RGU I'll make do with stock.

Mike

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Shocks were fine on my RGU but I need to lower it a bit so switched to progressive 940's.
I do not understand the big difference in ride some talk about.
The progressive are fine and they did lower it to what I need so I am happy with them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Their prices are steep; $617, 909, and 1,752 <--:eek:
Ohlins prices are steep, but I think its more like 500, 800, and 1400. I bought the 3-3's and they were 800 delivered.

Get them from Howard @ motorcycle metal. The lower pricing is if you belong to that other Harley forum..........

http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage32.html

They are great shocks. I am debating putting the RG air shocks on my wife's 1200.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts