Road Glide banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2011 roadglide ultra and changeing my rear tire. a friend has a 2009 rg and was told that harley had a problem 2009 rear wheel bearing. i just called my local dealer and they said i should change wheel brgs at 7500 miles! i have 25000 miles. sounds like bull shit to me ! what do you think?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I can find no service check list for a 7500 mile service and the 5K and 10K service do not even mention checking wheel bearings , there are copies of all service checklists here
http://www.gatewayhd.com/default.asp?page=service-checklists you can print them for a reference when doing your own service or just to see what the dealer is supposed to check if you have them do it.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
On my 2008 the rear wheel bearings went out at 16,000 miles and the rear pulley bearing went out at 40,000 miles.
I believe that the 2009 had a problem with the front wheel bearings not the rear wheel bearings.
It is good to inspect the wheel bearings and the rear pulley bearing when new tires are installed but even then a wheel bearing that is going out may not be detected.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, just ride the bike if a wheel bearing is going bad you can tell because there will be a strange noise coming from the wheels when riding and in most cases you will hear a clicking or grinding sound when backing the bike up.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
i have a 2011 roadglide ultra and changeing my rear tire. a friend has a 2009 rg and was told that harley had a problem 2009 rear wheel bearing. i just called my local dealer and they said i should change wheel brgs at 7500 miles! i have 25000 miles. sounds like bull shit to me ! what do you think?
My old bike was a 09 and when changing the rear tire the second go around, the HD dealer suggested I go ahead and replace the bearing (they had seen a couple of them go bad sooner than they should have). At the time the bearing was about $60 and the change out was $40, not sure what it would be now, but I did it just in case. I did not want to put on the tire than a month later have to replace the rear bearing. In this case I trusted the dealer where I was living at the time, they had never tried to get me to do something that was not needed and always explained why they suggested it. Something you could consider.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bearings should last easily over 100K miles on a bike, if they are designed and manufactured correctly. Unfortunately my left rear bearing on my 2010 went out at around 20K miles; it squealed like a pig so I knew it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I'm doing mine every tire change. I do my own work tho. So basically, every 20 K. If I didn't do my own work, every other tire would be my schedule. 7500 is laughable, your going to change bearings out 3 times to 1 tire ? I would stay far ,far ,far away from that STEALER.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 11 RGC rear bearing went out at 18kish.. and the dealer warrantied them. They just went out again at 38K. I put in some after market and keep a spare set on the bench. ( I have ESP, but F the dealer)
Your dealer is smoking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.