Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been reading lots of posts on here and other sites and am no better off then when I started. I am in the process of my winter upgrades which includes changing out rear wheel and tire. Looking at the sprocket(or what ever fancy name harley give it. Lol) and checking it the way the manual says to. It would appear mine is bad because most of the chrome has come off. But when I went looking for replacements I was seeing used ones with less then 5k miles on them that make mine look good.
So my question is how concerned should I be. The belt looks good. I also remember a fair amount of wear when I changed the last tire but don't remember if it was like it is now. I have almost 50k miles on the bike currently.

Thank you for any input

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Ok, been reading lots of posts on here and other sites and am no better off then when I started. I am in the process of my winter upgrades which includes changing out rear wheel and tire. Looking at the sprocket(or what ever fancy name harley give it. Lol) and checking it the way the manual says to. It would appear mine is bad because most of the chrome has come off. But when I went looking for replacements I was seeing used ones with less then 5k miles on them that make mine look good.
So my question is how concerned should I be. The belt looks good. I also remember a fair amount of wear when I changed the last tire but don't remember if it was like it is now. I have almost 50k miles on the bike currently.

Thank you for any input
The exterior of the sprocket doesn't matter, look at the teeth that the belt rides on. At 50 K , you should be fine ,unless a rock or something got in there.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Thank you for any input
Harley does say to replace with excessive loss of chrome on the belt surface of the sprocket. I say bullchit. The belt will tell you if there’s a problem. If your belt looks good, carry on sir.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I will continue to monitor the belt like normal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's what a bad sprocket looks like. Short story, broke a belt. Brought it to an Indy because I myself did not have the time to do the repair and was going to Laconia in 4 days. Told him to replace any worn parts. Well he just replaced the belt. Said the sprocket was fine. The belt broke on my way to NH that weekend..... look at the sharp corners on that sprocket.... how could anyone say that's good. Lesson learned... do it myself...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts