Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally pulled the trigger and picked up some Factory 47 Signature 14” bars. Being from Colorado, I’m going to buy some heated grips and do it all at the same time. My question is, what is a reasonable price for a shop to install these? I’ve seen Harley quote $1,000+ to install handlebars. For that price I’m willing to try to do it myself. I’m just curious about other people’s experience on this.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You need to call around. I did mine myself, but the prices I found around me were 800 and up plus the cost of the bars. And that was several years ago.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If You have the time as well as the mechanical ability I would recommend You do the install Yourself and save the labor cash for other modifications.
The F47 Handlebars are fairly easy to wire and F47 has videos, on the install, that are very helpful.
If, by chance, You are unable to do them Yourself I would check all the local motorcycle shops and dealers and request a quote and also check their reviews to see who is the best.
Best of Luck hope it all works out in Your favor.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Depends on the dealer/shop. Like Kermie said, call around and get a price range. My dealership sucks and won't allow anyone to bring in any parts–everything has to be purchased through them and just what they carry. Even at that, they quoted a friend at $800 PLUS cost of bars and said it was mandatory for all new lines/extensions for 12" bars. Bullshit. He ended up driving across the state to our next closest dealer and was at least able to take the bars he purchased there. Still cost him around $700-800 I think, but at least he got to use the bars he wanted and didn't buy line extensions.

I've heard of guys getting bars done from $500-1000, depending on what bars and materials needed. I would seriously consider watching tons of videos and reading F47 instructions a few times, then attempting it yourself. Take your time and have a friend there as another set of eyes. Yeah, it's a bit intimidating at first, but take it one step at a time and go slow. Don't do it when you know you have a ride or trip coming up.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
try to start a relationship with a dealer service rep or an independent in the area.

buddy of mine got a quote over the phone from a local dealer for free labor on tire replacement.
after they had the wheels off they told him it would be an additional $300 to replace bearings, too.

if they want to, they're gonna get you, there's not a lot you can do about it.
they do this for a living.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
In my experiance, some bars go on easy, and some go on like they were made to be farm implements.

With aftermarket bars, I'm actually surprised a dealer will actually give you a quote. That's a job that really deserves to be time and materials.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Its really not a difficult install on the Rushmore and M8 models. It can be done in a few hours at the most and if you decide to do this. Be sure you pull the main fuse so you dont have to clear all the codes when done.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
In my experiance, some bars go on easy, and some go on like they were made to be farm implements.

With aftermarket bars, I'm actually surprised a dealer will actually give you a quote. That's a job that really deserves to be time and materials.
They're quoting 10 hours. They've covered T&M for 4 other handle bar installs. It's a fucking joke they do that.

I do them on a RG in 90 minutes. Done! The fact they charge 10 hours?!?!

When my 16 was in getting the rims over the winter I told them I'd let them do my bars if they did them for 2 hours labor. Or I'd do it myself They did. I just wanted them on. Didnt want to wait. And 2 hours is reasonable. I think they hit me 2.5. But 9 or 10? Ya. #Gofuckyou

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Good that you are going to give it a try. Plenty of people on here to contact for help, reach out before you start to get your questions answered. I have done 3 sets, the last with heated grips and they are plug and play on the RGS.

I am assuming you have a rushmore RG? 2 or 3 hours or maybe more will be a small price to pay for the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good that you are going to give it a try. Plenty of people on here to contact for help, reach out before you start to get your questions answered. I have done 3 sets, the last with heated grips and they are plug and play on the RGS.

I am assuming you have a rushmore RG? 2 or 3 hours or maybe more will be a small price to pay for the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Yeah 2018 RG. I watched the F47 install video and it seems straight forward enough. Now they just need to get here!

·
Registered
7,123 Posts
I have not seen their video on the install. Road 6 Custom also has a very good video on installing bars on a 15 Road Glide. The only diff between the 15 and 18, you do not have to de-pin the throttle by wire cable on the 18 model. Might be worth checking their video out just to get other suggestions on the procedure.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Yeah 2018 RG. I watched the F47 install video and it seems straight forward enough. Now they just need to get here!

Whereabouts are You located?
There may be some Forum Brothers close to You willing to lend You a hand. This is The Greatest Forum on The Internet with The Greatest Members always willing to help a Brother out.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
They're quoting 10 hours. They've covered T&M for 4 other handle bar installs. It's a fucking joke they do that.

I do them on a RG in 90 minutes. Done! The fact they charge 10 hours?!?!

When my 16 was in getting the rims over the winter I told them I'd let them do my bars if they did them for 2 hours labor. Or I'd do it myself They did. I just wanted them on. Didnt want to wait. And 2 hours is reasonable. I think they hit me 2.5. But 9 or 10? Ya. #Gofuckyou
Well again, it depends on the bars. If they have to change fluid lines and purge the antilock, and lengthen harnesses, that takes time. And if its welded bars that have sharp angles, getting the harness through, undamaged, can be a chore.

And then there is also the issue of wanting the work to begin with. Most dealers are still busy from the summer season work and would rather deal with normal service and warranty, as opposed to putting bars on. So they price the bar installs to walk. Walk right out the door.

Two of the dealers in this area will only install bars that they sell. I'm guessing that's so that they know whats involved before they start the job.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Well again, it depends on the bars. If they have to change fluid lines and purge the antilock, and lengthen harnesses, that takes time. And if its welded bars that have sharp angles, getting the harness through, undamaged, can be a chore.

And then there is also the issue of wanting the work to begin with. Most dealers are still busy from the summer season work and would rather deal with normal service and warranty, as opposed to putting bars on. So they price the bar installs to walk. Walk right out the door.

Two of the dealers in this area will only install bars that they sell. I'm guessing that's so that they know whats involved before they start the job.
Past 14" yes. It's a longer job. The Freewheeler needed extra time for the new lines and bleeding the system. So there I'll give the t&m. Switching back to stock and swapping everything back was about 3.5 hours. Clutch and brake lines and bleeding them both.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Colorado shark week, on my 2017, I swapped out L.A. choppers for a set of black stock bars in the La Quinta parking lot in 90 minutes with saddle bag tools. Take your time, take pics of disassembly, push the wires thru use string to guide it, shoot windex inside the bars and have a friend to help you out. Best of luck to ya!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My indy charged me about $200 labor to put 12" Yaffee's on my '13. I'm lucky to have a great indy close to me... Marty Bullins at Bull Baggers in Walnut Cove, NC, for any of you guys in NC/VA that need one. He's as thorough, knowledgeable and fair as they come.

These dealer quotes of 7-8-$900 to install bars is just plain outrageous.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts