Road Glide banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHECK FOR THE RECALL

Every one with a 14-15 touring should bechecking for the recall issued today for the pins that hold your bags on! Being someone who has lost a bag this is a good thing that Harley is admitting to a faulty part!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me its great cause they had originally told me sucks to be you at Harley and expected me to buy a new bag. Now they are shelling out the money to replace it not me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just checked and it is now up on Harley's website. It is "NHTSA Recall Campaign 15V-427" I checked and my bike which I bought last year the first of September had the clutch recall, but this recall is not applicable to my bike....go figure. And as an aside.....I checked my hardware and all is good. I do however have to note that the detent for "Locked position" is very vague. There is not a distinctive click or feeling of a "snap" into place. I may have to go to the hardware store...(read hardware free issue at Delta Airlines) and get me the good stuff.....:eek::D

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
Maybe time to use some safety wire!

Probably not a bad idea but the bolts aren't something that are going to come loose real quickly. If you just pay attention to them and make it part of your pre ride inspection there's nothing to worry about. If you never check them, then over a long period of time it could become an issue.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I put together my own set of "monkey knobs" from the hardware store. The diameter of the threaded shank on the "clamping knob" (proper nomenclature) is 5/16", a tad thicker than the 1/4" diameter of the dzus pins, hole in the washer, and hole in the rubber grommet. Here's what I did four times:

1) Remove dzus locking pin.

2) Removed the dzus spring clip and installed a 5/16" spring u-nut in its place.

3) Remove stock washer from grommet.

4) Place appropriately sized washer with 5/16" hole over the shank of the clamping knob. This will be the interface between the knob and the grommet.

5) Press-fit the clamping knob into the rubber grommet until it makes contact with the 5/16" spring u-nut and start "clamping" it down.

6) Once its clamped down tight, mark the 12 0'clock position of the knob with hi-visibility paint, tape, or whatever...basically something that you can readily see when you open your bag. If the mark moves left of 12 o'clock, re-tighten the knob...but I'm here to say my knobs HAVE NOT moved in over the 400 miles I've traveled over less than smooth roads since I did the mod so far because of how the 1/4" hole in the grommet grabs the 5/16" diameter shank of the clamping knob. Think Loctite-like function ;)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This was on facebook

***NEWS FLASH***
Just confirmed from Harley Davidson corporate that they are recalling all 2014-2015 touring bikes due to the Dzus clips weakening and failing, and in many instances allowing the saddlebags to fall off while riding. The new Dzus clips that are being reinstalled are no different than the current ones. They are just being made by a different manufacturer. Many dealerships are suggesting that riders upgrade to the BaggerBolts™ saddlebag mounting system to eliminate any possibility of failure in the future. The dealers that we spoke to already are installing BaggerBolts™ for free if the customer purchases them at the counter. We highly recommend to upgrade your saddlebags now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the heads up OP, just found it and mine is affected. Looks like a trip to the dealer.
No problem man just wanted to make sure others new. I big concern like I said is getting them to admit fault and cover damages cause to the bag when it fell off. Wasn't try to start which aftermarket replacement is better thread.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Probably not a bad idea but the bolts aren't something that are going to come loose real quickly. If you just pay attention to them and make it part of your pre ride inspection there's nothing to worry about. If you never check them, then over a long period of time it could become an issue.
I feel certain they made a production change during their investigation

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I put together my own set of "monkey knobs" from the hardware store. The diameter of the threaded shank on the "clamping knob" (proper nomenclature) is 5/16", a tad thicker than the 1/4" diameter of the dzus pins, hole in the washer, and hole in the rubber grommet. Here's what I did four times:

1) Remove dzus locking pin.

2) Removed the dzus spring clip and installed a 5/16" spring u-nut in its place.

3) Remove stock washer from grommet.

4) Place appropriately sized washer with 5/16" hole over the shank of the clamping knob. This will be the interface between the knob and the grommet.

5) Press-fit the clamping knob into the rubber grommet until it makes contact with the 5/16" spring u-nut and start "clamping" it down.

6) Once its clamped down tight, mark the 12 0'clock position of the knob with hi-visibility paint, tape, or whatever...basically something that you can readily see when you open your bag. If the mark moves left of 12 o'clock, re-tighten the knob...but I'm here to say my knobs HAVE NOT moved in over the 400 miles I've traveled over less than smooth roads since I did the mod so far because of how the 1/4" hole in the grommet grabs the 5/16" diameter shank of the clamping knob. Think Loctite-like function ;)
What is the length of the bolt on the knob?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.