Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i have a guy who wants to add bass that will keep up with these Cerwin Vega coaxials, they play loud and crisp with the horn in the center. He originally wanted to put two 6x9's in each bag and drill holes (Mind you this is a BIG thing in the SOUTH and CA). They are stuck that this is the only way to get the bass they want. I asking for options to combat this. My thoughts so far are PRV 10" or 12" sub (which i've heard in person) or midbass drivers of xxxx????

One other sub i've heard that i haven't seen any one do but this one guy on YT was 2x RF Prime R2 10" shallowmount, which sounded nice for what it was. I was thinking maybe even a RF Punch 10" P3 or even a JL 10TW3 as this thing hits in small places. Before you ream me on using car speakers in bike applications, this guys two RF "Prime" sounded amazing running off the 5th channel of a DA 950/5 <--- which i hate.

FYI he is not interested in reinforcing bags or buying new stronger bags.

Okay now let-er rip!!! lol

·
Registered
754 Posts
12 won’t fit, subs can be installed but will lose their value when bike is moving, 8s are not going to move enough air to make bass. 10s are your answer, specifically the Faital 10s with a ported bag running approx 750W to each speaker and crossover set from 45 to 350

Sounds to me your guy already wants to cut corners and knows what he wants to do. Save yourself the headache and let him do it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12 won’t fit, subs can be installed but will lose their value when bike is moving, 8s are not going to move enough air to make bass. 10s are your answer, specifically the Faital 10s with a ported bag running approx 750W to each speaker and crossover set from 45 to 350

Sounds to me your guy already wants to cut corners and knows what he wants to do. Save yourself the headache and let him do it.
I’ve seen/heard 12’s in a bag but the bass only sounded good close up only. They were PRV’s. This guy wants to shut a parking lot down full of guys with 4 -6x9’s in their bags. This isn’t like a competition type thing, but more of “I’m here type thing”. I know that’s not what we do on this forum, but I want you to understand his thought on it, but help advise me on how to make it happen.

What would you power two Faital 10s’ with??

Side note bud, what’s the word on PRV speakers??? I know their cheap, but are they any good??? I looked at this new PRV Carbon 6.5 mid to use on his bike as well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
RS350 I believe is the model
You can try running them straight up but they’ll play much better ported
Depends on what PRVs. I don’t think I’d spend the money on carbons but I’ve owned some
PRV 10s that I liked. Still have em I think, ready for backups.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RS350 I believe is the model
You can try running them straight up but they’ll play much better ported
Depends on what PRVs. I don’t think I’d spend the money on carbons but I’ve owned some
PRV 10s that I liked. Still have em I think, ready for backups.
CP,
Are you against the Beyma 10G40 10"??? It says it can play 45hz as well. How do the Beyma's stack up to the Faitals??

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha, now I guess the most important question would be, which one can go into a bag without reinforcing? For his setup, not mine. I would reinforce just because, but this is new territory for me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You’ll need to get some Jefe rings to install them and keep it clean. If he has stock bags, the bags will flex, if he isn’t porting then bags will flex. If he’s running lid speakers the pressure will for sure distort and impact the movement of any speaker in the lid. You can put anything you want in there without reinforcing the bag and the problems that come along with that will also present themselves. Depending on the power you’re going to run, the faitals may be more than he wants or needs especially with reluctance to do it “right”. If that’s the case and power stays low— 3-400/speaker, he could use the PRV MB400 or 450. Can’t remember which ones they are but they can run without a port and still hit hard. PRVs will punch, Faitals are the best all around 10 IMO and the Beyma will need a boat load of power, they will not play as loud but they will play low. Beyma and Faital almost “need” to be ported and braced. Bracing a bag is not a big deal. One 3/4” dowel, done. Good luck. Here’s the Power 10 ported and braced. A bit messy still but you get the idea.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You’ll need to get some Jefe rings to install them and keep it clean. If he has stock bags, the bags will flex, if he isn’t porting then bags will flex. If he’s running lid speakers the pressure will for sure distort and impact the movement of any speaker in the lid. You can put anything you want in there without reinforcing the bag and the problems that come along with that will also present themselves. Depending on the power you’re going to run, the faitals may be more than he wants or needs especially with reluctance to do it “right”. If that’s the case and power stays low— 3-400/speaker, he could use the PRV MB400 or 450. Can’t remember which ones they are but they can run without a port and still hit hard. PRVs will punch, Faitals are the best all around 10 IMO and the Beyma will need a boat load of power, they will not play as loud but they will play low. Beyma and Faital almost “need” to be ported and braced. Bracing a bag is not a big deal. One 3/4” dowel, done. Good luck. Here’s the Power 10 ported and braced. A bit messy still but you get the idea.
I like the Faital idea, and to port. I just need instructions on how to either brace & port the bags or just port it. I’m open to doing it “right”! I’ll explain, that it’s what’s needed to achieve what he wants.

I actually got to hear Beymas from this guy who had them and they hit low as hell, but not loud like you said. When I went further away from him, all I would hear is low boom.

So I’m all in on the Faital 10’s your referred. I need to find a video or write-up on how to brace and port bags. I’ll order some Jefe rings as well. Also do you support adding Bullet tweeters to bags along with the 10’s??

·
Registered
754 Posts
In that picture, yes it was a 3”x14” port flared on both ends. That port however has since been changed back to a 2” x 5” port.

Bag size and config really plays a role in what port you use. I’ve heard 3” sound great, I just didn’t like it with mine so I went back to 2”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts