Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought six days ago and discovered this site. Appreciate any mods and especially long-distance related mods you might/would recommend. I've already put a Touratech, BMW windshield extender on just to give me a shade less buffeting. FWIW, I have a set of stock shocks from a 2015 2011 CVO RG with little to zero miles on them from a previous ride that the PO had lowered. Also two windshields, one shaded/tinted. The screw pattern is different from 2015 2011 to 2021 so they won't work for me.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,525 Posts
First off let me say "Welcome" from SW Florida. You've purchased the best touring bike that HD makes and now you've found the best HD Forum around. As far as tips about doing mods, my personal recommendation would be to put a couple thousand miles on it, including at least one 300-400+ mile overnight trip. If you ride 2 up reasonably often, make sure to include your passenger on that trip. A couple of long days in the saddle will bring you to your own conclusions as to what needs to happen to get the ergonomics where you need them for your body type. You've changed out the windshield so that's done, handlebars and seats are two things that are changed by most. Beyond that I'd hesitate to guess what you should change because I don't know your riding style. We have guys who are HP fanatics and it's all about performance items for them. Others find plenty of performance available in it's stock trim, but are all about improving riding comfort for long days or long multi-day trips. MOst get around to making some changes with the suspension eventually as the stock stuff is OK, but there's plenty of room for improvement. Go ride the snot out of it for a month and then you'll know what directions you'll want to go with your first mods. Enjoy!

Reactions: Q-Hog and BH#103

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh. PA! Uncle Fuzzy is right on the mark. Give it time. What we say might not be what you want to change. Hell, you might even like it as it is!

We're pic whores here too btw.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 RGL
375 Posts
What they said^^^^
Congrats on the new scooter
Welcome to the forum from the Bluegrass state.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,605 Posts
Probably should look into the 131 big bore kit for that extra passing power, safety first. Fatty front tire with a fairing drop kit looks killer and way better for handling. Some audio upgrades are a must for a comfortable ride, an 8speaker system will be just right. That should cover the basics but as you ride it you may find you need a new seat and windshield, suspension and others ;)

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Welcome, from New York, to The Greatest Forum on The Internet!
Congrats on The New Glide.
What Everyone else has stated is spot on.
Take Your time with The Modification so You only have to do it once.
Best of Luck!
MIke U

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Welcome. As far as I know, the fairing hasn’t changed since 2015. Not sure why your older shield won’t work.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. As far as I know, the fairing hasn’t changed since 2015. Not sure why your older shield won’t work.
When they added the windshield vent, it changed the location of the mounting screws.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Although it kinda runs outta gas in 6th gear at the upper rpms's (limiting to 4,000 so far), I'm more concerned about the heat so not sure I will be adding a bigger motor kit. I was ready to sell my '15 CVO RG because of the heat from the 110 when I totaled it on the Cherohala Skyway trying to stay up with my Beemer buddies. My wife had had to make a reflective leg shield for my right leg it was so hot and at Daytona, a guy with a similar CVO showed me his burn scars on his right leg. I just don't want the uncomfortable heat again. After the 1,000 mile service, I'll be taking her @600 miles to Colorado Springs then up to Billings, Montana for the annual BMWMOA Rally. I'm sure I'll get some snide comments there, but most are just bikers so we all appreciate good motorcycles. I've been blessed in life to have completed more than 600,000 miles and only have been pronounced 'expectant to die' once and told another time it would be six months before I learned to walk again. Most of those miles were on BMW's, which I still have and ride. I'm addicted and that's actually a medical fact IMHO. That's based on years of working in the medical field, but I could do worse. :cool:

I think passenger comfort will be #1, followed by my comfort (windshield instead of just an extension), followed by the lesson I learned hotrodding my Sportster and BMW's, handling and suspension.

THANKS for the welcome! Semper Fi and De Oppresso Liber!

Reactions: Q-Hog and DanHappy

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought they were from a ‘15, based on me thinking it was a ‘15 CVO. But I’ve had multiple TBI’s so I could be wrong. I’ll do some research to see what year it was. I held both shields up to the 2021 and they are clearly not interchangeable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Long Island and congrats on the bike. I agree with riding it for a while before you decide what to upgrade except for 1 thing, particularly if your gonna go away for a few days. I suggest changing the seat NOW. I rode my bike home from buying it in Pennsylvania, got off at home, went inside and ordered a Mustang seat. I've since ridden it for about 4K miles and are about to start my upgrades.
Good Luck and enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
All of the above is good advice. Know that your current bats can be adjusted a little more by removing the pin in them. That was all it took for me. The seat is likely a target for improvement for touring - but I’d suggest trying a removable air cushion first before spending too much. It can really help extend your riding day comfort.

Welcome from SC and congrats on the great new ride. Ride safe & enjoy!!

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seat, bars, stage1, ceramic coating, de-cat head pipe.
Detachable tour pack, then audio for my list.
Thanks! Detachable Tour Pam definitely on the list. @$500. Dealer said it came with signal relocators. I’d like to fill that gap at the rear with the $229? Rear signals but i think he meant the nice, led’s that go on the back of the

I was thinking of the Stage ‘something’ but wasn’t sure which.

Cat pipe should help the heat quite a bit. Is that a post-warranty thing?

Not sure what ceramic coating you’re referencing. Paint? Exhaust? Mine is blacked out.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Than
Welcome to the forum from Long Island and congrats on the bike. I agree with riding it for a while before you decide what to upgrade except for 1 thing, particularly if your gonna go away for a few days. I suggest changing the seat NOW. I rode my bike home from buying it in Pennsylvania, got off at home, went inside and ordered a Mustang seat. I've since ridden it for about 4K miles and are about to start my upgrades.
Good Luck and enjoy the ride...
Thanks. I’ve only done @ a hundred at a time so far and just thought it was my leathers that was causing some seat issues.

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All of the above is good advice. Know that your current bats can be adjusted a little more by removing the pin in them. That was all it took for me. The seat is likely a target for improvement for touring - but I’d suggest trying a removable air cushion first before spending too much. It can really help extend your riding day comfort.

Welcome from SC and congrats on the great new ride. Ride safe & enjoy!!
Bats? Reference “your current bats can be adjusted a little more by removing the pin in them”

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sorry.....typo....... should be bars

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just bought six days ago and discovered this site. Appreciate any mods and especially long-distance related mods you might/would recommend. I've already put a Touratech, BMW windshield extender on just to give me a shade less buffeting. FWIW, I have a set of stock shocks from a 2015 CVO RG with little to zero miles on them from a previous ride that the PO had lowered. Also two windshields, one shaded/tinted. The screw pattern is different from 2015 to 2021 so they won't work for me.
Welcome to the forum. For me, comfort first...seat, bars,windshield and shocks. After that stage 2 for the extra push, and sound system for the road. I did an autotune with a fuelpak FP3 and I found a significant difference as well...

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looked at an old spreadsheet and apparently I was wrong. It was a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra the windshields and shocks came from. Apologies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts