Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
33 Posts
I ride a 2020 Road Glide Limited. My primary source of transportation. This is what Ive figured out for me.
Suspension;
A must. Lots of really good choices for drop-in cartridges and shocks. I did Ohlins NIX30's +2.5" for the front and 159's +1.5" for the rear. Taller is the way to go. I used to drag my floorboard mounts all the time, now I don't and it's tons more fun. There are plenty of cheaper, almost as good options out there... lol.
Seat;
Stock seat not too bad for passenger, sucks for me. Not too many seat options for bikes with tour packs. I was and am still looking for something with a larger pillion to go with the tour pack. I did the Saddleman Heated Road Sofa seat with backrest and tour pack backrest. Great for about 90 miles then really hard. Great seat for short around-town jaunts, terrible for more than about 2hrs. I like to stop that often anyway. Passenger part is just bad. Lucky for me my wife rides her own. If I ever buy another seat for a Limited i'm going for the CVO limited seat.
Motor;
Plenty of stock power in the m8 but if you really must.... Stock or stage 2. My seat of the pants dyno won't even register just a stage 1. If you're going to do anything, Stage 2 is where you can really feel it. It's the best bang for the buck anyway, IMO. I turbo'd my last Road Glide, 200hp 200tq. @6lbs of boost. WAY f'n fast. Was hoping the turbo would give me street-able power. Turned out i was wrong... For this bike I did a stage 2, Harley Power Cam and tuner to keep my warranty intact, as soon as its out I'll at least switch tuners. EPA has them hogtied with a really lean tune, AFR. HPI Air Intake and an S&S 2:1 Sidewinder for exhaust.
All comes at a price. I ride motorcycles like people drive cars, the investment is worth it.
That said, I have a friend that rides 15-20,000 miles a year. His current bike is a '19 RG ultra that he bought when he totaled his twin-cam RGU coming back from a trip to Portland, OR. All he does is add a tow hitch and take out the radio so he can have a place to put his gloves. True story.
Moral of the story, everyone's butt is different.
My 10 cents :)
I ramble when I'm stoned

·
Registered
2021 Road Glide Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks! I’ve put RaceTech Gold Valve emulators and properly weighted fork springs on several bikes along with Wilbers shocks on the rear. Best thing I’d done.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRK
33 Posts
Exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks! I’ve put RaceTech Gold Valve emulators and properly weighted fork springs on several bikes along with Wilbers shocks on the rear. Best thing I’d done.
I've just started to read about Wilbers shocks, they look like a contender. I come from the metric world so I've always started with Ohlin's. Wilbers look good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! I have a 2020 RGL that I have made a number of changes to. Since I wanted to keep my 2 year HD warranty, I stayed with HD parts for most of the changes. In terms of heat, which has always been a problem here in central Florida, I found some things that drastically reduced the heat on me and even more on my wife. The first is a Cool Flow fan which pulls the heat from the cylinders and directs it down to the rear wheel. The second is switching to the SE high flow exhaust. The main heat benefit from that is that the cats are in the mufflers, under the bags, instead of in the headers. With both of these changes my RGL is way cooler than my 2013 Twin Cam, especially for my wife.

Other changes I made included a Freedom Shield which took care of the buffeting, detachable kit for the trunk, stage 2 torque cam with a heavy breather, and a lot of cosmetic changes to remove the aluminum or bright hardware and replace it with black. The stock seat is OK for two up, but it looked like crap with the trunk off so have a second seat I use when riding more barebones. Upgraded the speakers to stage 1, and that made a big difference. Also have wide O2 sensors and SE autotune which works well. Rear suspension is ok on big bumps but you feel every small highway crack. Will change that in the future.

These and other changes certainly improved my ride, but you will need to decide for yourself what is most important. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've changed so many things on the 2020 RGL; my nose grows every time I call it a Harley. :ROFLMAO:

I think someone here has mentioned about everything I would do. Riding 2-up or for longer rides, comfort is king in my world. Everything has to work around a comfortable ride and good ergonomics. In my case I changed the entire suspension, bars, grips, footboard position, seat, shifters, windshield and more. Next comes safety. Additional lighting options front, rear and sides help with that. Beyond that it comes down to vanity things frankly. Customizing the look is a 3rd level concern, as are serious upgrades to the audio. Finally there's the motor and drivetrain which....for me....isn't crying for improvement. I'm not competing on the highway. I've escaped death enough times in my life to not go challenging it unnecessarily. I ride tame and without shame. My wife is always behind me and I put her well-being TOPS on my list of concerns.

Someone....anyone....will prioritize differently of course. Maybe a Stage IV is their biggest desire. Perhaps 8-speaker audio is their dream. We're all a little different and that's the cool thing about bikes on a parking lot. They're literally an expression of our inner selves.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome! You should get the gist by now, lots of good ideas. This is my 3rd Harley, so I have a pretty decent idea what I squandered money on and what I gained the most bang for the buck on. I'm not going to go into all the bling, chrome, stereo, engine upgrades I did on previous bike, but what I said first on my new 2020RGL was. 1. Seat overhauled to ME, by Mean City Cycles. 2. Shocks, yes my RGL came with an upgraded 13in shock over a Special but it's still stock, I took them off day one and put on Legends 13". Also did front cartridges but rear more important for comfort. Between seat and shocks my ass can sit on this bike all day now. 3. Klockwerks windscreen. 4. Bars, that all depends on your frame, the bars stock on my RGL are actually very comfortable for me, but I'm not a big guy at 5'8, so they give me a little bend in the elbow and I'm not having to lurch forward, you may need an adjustment. 5. Backrest, huge difference on an all day ride, if you not in your 20's anymore, lol. If you are then knock em dead kid. 6. I brought some of the good stuff over from my previous streetglide like the stage one stuff and highway pegs. To the first 4 are really the big ticket items, you gotta be comfortable to put miles on. I did do a stage one but with Harley stuff, but I'm not gonna jeopardize the original warranty by going aftermarket Cam's and other engine upgrades until warranty is shot. The bike already puts out great power, runs great as it is. Yes I also put on a detachable tour pack dock, so I can take my tour pack off. I only put that on when I go on longer trips with the gf. I think the bike just looks sexy as hell with it off but storage can't be beat if you going on trips with it on. If you don't already have it, I suggest you put together a small tool kit, tire plug kit, air compressor, and carry a portable jump start battery. These all don't take up that much room but if you on the road somewhere by yourself, could make a bad day, not so bad. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Welcome to the 🦈 tank and congratulations. Ride and get to know your bike first then make a plan for modification for performance and cosmetic accessories.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts