Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread almost identical to my issue but didn't see any resolution. I installed 14" Malo bars on my 15 RGS yesterday morning. I went riding and everything was fine all day. Later in the day when I was "thankfully" home I decided to play with the Boom audio system and set up my blue tooth connection. After turning on the key and watching everything pull up I followed the instructions and hit the "home" button on the left hand control. The screen went blank and the bike refused to turn over.

I proceeded to take the guage cluster off thinking maybe I had a bad connection, unplugged everything and plugged it back in, turned on the key and everything came up like normal. Turned on the ingnition switch, heard the fuel injection kick in but when I hit the run button everything died. Now with the key in the neutral position I can hear the computer kicking on. Completely confused. It all worked perfectly all day. My first thought is I pulled one of the wires loose while routing through the handlebars and simply making a bad connection but after hearing one guy talk about getting his ignition tumblers off? I'm not sure what to think. I just don't understand how it can run perfectly all day and then take a complete dump like that.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Check the connections in the switch housing themselves. The white connectors can come loose. Sounds like a loose or disconnected connector there. They are rather weak

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rock103, I'll check those! After reading a bit more I really feel my tumblers in the ignition may be off. I always lock my ingnition when I park and I noticed that I was having a difficult time doing it yesterday and I've never had that problem before. Then as stated above it appears that the computer is coming on in the neutral position but I'm not getting fire to anything else. I'll try to realign the tumblers per the youtube video (and instructions I found on another post) and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Now most would some how blame HD for the problem . You see the light.
Changing bars is not as simple as some make it out to be. Tea a few first timers get it right with some luck but many get at least one thing wrong.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks rock103, I'll check those! After reading a bit more I really feel my tumblers in the ignition may be off. I always lock my ingnition when I park and I noticed that I was having a difficult time doing it yesterday and I've never had that problem before. Then as stated above it appears that the computer is coming on in the neutral position but I'm not getting fire to anything else. I'll try to realign the tumblers per the youtube video (and instructions I found on another post) and see if that does the trick.
I don't think you'll have any luck with the various flattened pipe rigs. They changed the ignition key on the 15s. My pre 2015 ignition key tool wouldn't work, so now I have both. You can get from Amazon in a day or so but make sure you verify part number is for 2015. Let me know if you need the part number and I'll grab it for you.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Now most would some how blame HD for the problem . You see the light.
Changing bars is not as simple as some make it out to be. Tea a few first timers get it right with some luck but many get at least one thing wrong.
Amen! I've changed the handlebars on 6 of the 7 Harley I've owned and it's always one of the jobs I enjoy the least and think through the most... And I've had em down as far as only the bottom of the motor sitting in the frame.

I chuckle every time I hear someone ask the dealer for a quote on the job. Inevitably they think it's just a few bolts in the clamp to swap em out and just about lose their mind at the cost. They don't think about the fairing, wiring, clutch and brake lines, etc. all of which become their own little project.

All that said, I applaud anyone that opts to do it themself. We are all first timers at something and if we let them the mistakes always teach us something. I like working on mine almost as much as I like riding it, and I take a lot of pride when I stand back and see what I did with my own hands and tools.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Amen! I've changed the handlebars on 6 of the 7 Harley I've owned and it's always one of the jobs I enjoy the least and think through the most... And I've had em down as far as only the bottom of the motor sitting in the frame.

I chuckle every time I hear someone ask the dealer for a quote on the job. Inevitably they think it's just a few bolts in the clamp to swap em out and just about lose their mind at the cost. They don't think about the fairing, wiring, clutch and brake lines, etc. all of which become their own little project.

All that said, I applaud anyone that opts to do it themself. We are all first timers at something and if we let them the mistakes always teach us something. I like working on mine almost as much as I like riding it, and I take a lot of pride when I stand back and see what I did with my own hands and tools.
Right on:smile:

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Not that this is really helpful at this point, but I still don't understand why folks are pulling their entire ignition switch in order to swap bars.

Specifically for the 2015 RG / RGS -

When I rolled my factory bars forward all I needed to do was remove the chrome switch cover.

The same thing when I swapped bars.

But a bar swap does take patience, especially the wiring part of it. I took lots of pictures and drew plenty of rudimentary sketches :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yeah it can be done when switch is turned to fork lock. Nacelle slips over the switch. That's what I did when installing bars. I took it off when I rolled the stock bars forward though. YMMV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks bud....I wound up ordering one from Georges garage. Waiting patiently for it. I attempted to pull up the DTC's but literally nothing is coming on. When I turn the ignition on I hear the initial whir but no lights on the gauges or anything (but headlights and blinkers are nice and bright) so it went from running all day after the install to shit lol. I'm still leaning towards the possibility that I just pulled a wire loose on the harness and it finally lost contact during the course of the day and refuses to do anything until it's fixed but with the holiday here I haven't had time to put my meter to each individual wire yet. It seems that the tumblers are lined up but I'll know for sure when that part gets here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, so far I've checked the main fuse and cleaned it up a bit. It had some oxidation built up on it. I checked all of the other fuses and they are good. Utilizing my fancy ignition tool from Georges garage I found that my tumblers are properly aligned. I then pulled the handlebars off...again... I wanted to check the continuity of each wire which was difficult because the multi meter leads are too thick to touch the leads in the four pin connectors so I took two large sewing needles and simply taped them to the leads. I was hoping one of the wires was dead but to my chagrin I got a good signal off of all of the wires from one end to the other. Tonight I went ahead and extended the wires from the handlebars with some 22g wires pre-installed in a new four pin connector. I checked and double checked to make sure my wires were spliced properly and soldered them followed by some good heat shrink. Tomorrow morning I'll do the same to the bike end. Factory 47 claimed that you don't need to extend the wires but you barely have enough and the wires were so tight that they were rubbing the handlebars where they exited them. I didn't notice any wires rubbed through but I can't rule out a short. I'll give ya'll an update in the morning...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woohoo! She's running again! I wish I could tell you that I definitively found the issue but I can't. I'm still leaning towards the idea that I jerked a connection loose during the install. Again, I wasn't happy with the lack of length of the wires after the install. There's just no slack in the wires at all so I ordered new 4-pin connectors for both sides with 20 inches of lead. Stripped, twisted, soldered and heat shrink applied to both ends. I looped the extra length and tie-wrapped to keep it clean under the gauges. Must've been a short or bad wire somewhere. I couldn't even pull the codes. It's a little cool here in North Texas but I think a victory ride is in order!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Feels great to achieve a solution doesnt it? Congrats. Enjoy the ride

1 - 16 of 16 Posts