Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading some of the other discussions on Red Line Oil causing slippage in the transmission... I have a specific question.

Are the slippages occurring in transmissions with hydraulic clutches or cable clutches? I'm thinking of putting Red Line Oil in ahead of my trip to South Dakota. I have a hydraulic clutch and usually run Amsoil. Thnx.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I run Redline gear oil in the transmission and Redline v - twin primary oil in the primary in both of my bikes with no problems and no clutch slippage.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
I run Red line shockproof in the trans for years with out a problem. Cant comment on the hydraulic line. Not really sure on the set up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I run redline in the primary and tranny as well with no problems. If the primary is over filled, the clutch will slip. Mine shifts better and neutral is very easy to find since the change over to Redline in the primary. The tranny is smooth with no clunk with the shockproof in.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have seen posts that point to Redline as the culprit for clutch slippage, and I seriously had never heard of it till I read it here.
I run Redline and my clutch hooks up each and every time. It has never slipped with redline.

Rowdy

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Many oils will cause your clutch to slip if you over fill the primary case. The clutch in these bikes is a "semi-wet" clutch, which means that it will tolerate SMALL a mounts of oil, but is designed to be primarily dry. If you get too much oil in the clutch will not allow the oil to squeeze out of the plates, it will cause the plates to basically float over each other and not grab.

This is the proper oil level for the primary chain case. Most will take approx. 32oz on a drain and refill, approx. 38oz if you remove the entire cover and let it all drain out.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
It would seem that there would be no difference in the clutch performance between the hydraulic clutch and the cable clutch. The hydraulic clutch is just for a easier clutch pull and the fluid that operates the hydraulic clutch is isolated from the oil that bathes the clutch assembly.
I never used Redline but I have used Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin oil and HD primary /trans oil in the primary with no problems.

·
Registered
440 Posts
We should all know the answer to this question.
We have 3 oil holes.
Engine, transmission and primary.
The transmission, which takes the "red" Red Line shockproof, only lubricates the transmission gears.
The primary side lubes the clutch.
As for the hydraulic units, that only is meant to ease the clutch operation and has no effect on slippage.
Similar to power brakes on a car, hydraulic is only an assist.
In using shockproof in the transmission, it will not cause clutch slippage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'm new to the whole "pieces and parts" thing.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I run RedLine in engine & trans. I tried RedLine in primary & my clutch would slip while going into 4th,5th, & 6th under high rpms. Went back to Hd Formula+ & stopped the problem. Just my 2 cents. Yes, trans, will not cause clutch to slip.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Redline or other SYN is just fine in trans or primary. Don't put shock proof in the primary. They do make a primary lube that is good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed all three holes to Red Line last Wednesday and left for Wyoming on Thursday. We did 3300 miles in seven days with NO slippage or clutch problems at all. Thanks to everyone for responding to this thread.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Redline in all 3 holes with their shockproof in the tranny.....been a Mobil 1 user for well over 15 years but heard a lot of good stuff about Redline and I'm extremely happy with it that I switched my car over to Redline as well. Car starts up every time like a fresh oil change was done. Looking to do tranny and gear oils on all my cars and motorhome next.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think the number 1 reason for the clutch to slip is over filling it I have never had a problem with any oil I ran in mine but I over filled it once and in high gear she slipped like a sonofagun

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Redline in all 3 holes with their shockproof in the tranny.....been a Mobil 1 user for well over 15 years but heard a lot of good stuff about Redline and I'm extremely happy with it that I switched my car over to Redline as well. Car starts up every time like a fresh oil change was done. Looking to do tranny and gear oils on all my cars and motorhome next.
IMO adjustment plays a bigger role in clutch slip on stock bikes. I know it was for me.

Like Redline stuff.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I just reread the ops post and was wanting to know if he means slippage in the tranny like he ask or if he means the primary because I've never had a problem with the tranny ever slipping some one out there might know about it but I have no experience with the tranny but I do know what causes the clutch like I said before it has little to do with what 20/50 you run but everything to do with how much you put in it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fuel Moto

Jamie and crew please chime in on this. They recommended NON synthetic in the primary on my 101HP --98 build.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Transmission can't slip, mechanical connection. It's broke if it's "slipping".

Primary fluid should match the friction material first and with the late model joke of a compensator has some special needs to minimize the metal on metal wear.

I'd run ATF if I wasn't trying to keep the compensator from wearing out on my '12. My previous RG w/110hp 95" ran atf and zero slippage using stock frictions and SE clutch spring. My '12 was slipping with mild build and incorrectly adjusted clutch... (no surprise).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts