Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding my 2015 FLTRX, the red light in the voltage instrument panel came on and voltage reading went to about 12 volts. Voltage is usually just above 14. Bike cranks up fine, rides fine, no unusual noises that I can hear. Put bike on tender while I was on 2 week vacation. Took off tender, cranked up, no red light but voltage at 12, went for short ride. Five minutes later, red light came on. Everything works as far as I can tell. Any suggestions would be appreciated before I decide to take her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
2013 RGC, my voltage will drop to almost 10 volts and will stay there till i'm up and running and then all of a sudden it will just jump up to 14+. It's been doing this for a while now. I am going to replace my voltage regulator with a better aftermarket one soon.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Use a VOM or other external volt meter and check the voltage. Check it with engine off, then engine running @2000 rpm. 12.6 and 14.5 are what you'd be looking for + or - a few 10ths.

Sounds like a regulator, but could also be a stater. You can check the stator output at the plug with a VOM set to AC current. Not sure what the spec is for a 15. The older ones were 32-46 volts ac.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
You should check all of the major electrical connection first but I would guess that the Voltage Regulator is the problem. If the stator is bad the voltage will be normal at cold start up but as the bike warms up the voltage will drop and eventually the voltmeter will read around 10 volts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to take her in to the dealer. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the stator had burned out and would be replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts