Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2020 Road Glide Limited Project

Hey everyone. Hope you all like pictures! This thread is one that I’ve shared on the main HDForum, but haven’t really gotten to sharing it here…until now!

In January 2020 I managed to work out a deal on a 2020 Road Glide Limited in Zephyr Blue/Black Sunglo with the blacked-out treatment & RDRS. I had been on the fence between Limited vs Special but when the deal was put before me, it all but made the decision for me. It was the end of the month and the deal I got isn’t even one I would have asked for, thinking it wouldn’t have been possible.

Anyway, whichever option I chose I knew I’d end up changing quite a bit, so here we are. When I got it home in an enclosed trailer it had 6 miles. Snow was flying, so there was no riding it plus they treat our roads with sand which I try to avoid when I can.

Immediately I had my own vision for how I wanted this bike to turn out, and instead of doing pieces here and there I decided to do it all at once. Well, at least for the things I would be doing anyway.

A brief list of the major changes:
• Extended Saddlebags (from the Specials)
• CVO Rear Fender
• CVO Gauges
• Color-matched Inner Fairing w/color matched vent
• HD Wrapped Front Fender
• Factory47 16” Signature Bars
• Magnum Shielding Black Pearl lines (including lower legs)
• Mueller Hydro-Clutch
• Complete Kahuna Collection
• Detached Tour-Pak
• Freedom Shields Sport Touring Shield (Dark Grey, 12”)
• C&C Solo Seat
• C&C SportTour Seat
• C&C Reupholstered Tour-Pak backrest and speaker-pods

Here it is on the showroom floor:

Off with the Tour-Pak and rear fender:

Under the outer fairing – this was my first time inside a 2015+ RG. Quite different from my 2010:

Tank off so I can remove the stock brake lines:

With so many parts coming off, organizing the fasteners is not something to overlook:

A sneak-peak at the color-matched inner fairing:

Pulled the stock front fender so it didn’t accidentally get damaged and hopefully get sold one day:

Inner fairing removed, not a hard job, but takes some time:

Stock bars and lines gone:

About this time, the service manual finally showed up. Something I do right away is visit Fedex Kinkos to have it spiral bound. It’s only about $13 to do and the books lay perfectly flat when working.

Finally to a point where stuff is being put on the bike, not just taken off. The Mueller Hydro-Clutch slave was great in addressing the friction zone, and would end up coming in handy later on too with other planned mods.

The Factory47 bars and the Magnum Shielding kit were the first items ordered. These are Factory47 16” Signature bars, with wires ran and Kahuna heated grips. I also took this as an opportunity to swap over to the lighted switch control modules too:

While all this was going on, I had some pieces powder-coated. Mostly small pieces, but if left chrome they just looked out of place:
• Jiffystand & mount
• Horn bracket
• Rear shift lever
• Solo Tour-Pak mount
• Sissybar Pad Bracket

Finally coming together – just waiting for the CVO Speedo/Tach assembly. Also ditched the honeycomb speaker grills in favor of the HogTunes grills.

Zephyr Blue Vent:

Wrapped front fender installed:

Freedom Sport Touring 12” Dark Grey shield:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Little touches like black screens on the front brake calipers make a big difference. I also removed all the wheel weights in favor of Dyna Beads. With TPMS, you cannot install them through the valve stems and you must break the bead.

I also removed the reflectors (word on the street is that removing the reflectors add 10HP/TQ).

Custom Dynamics Probeam Bullet Bezel LED signals. These are gloss black, not chrome. Picture is very reflective.

Blacking out the previously chrome pieces made this area come together nicely.

No more chrome jiffystand and mount:

Rider’s view – I have no interest in the corded headset/console. I removed it and replaced it with the console sans comm port and added the emblem from the Road Glide Special to pull it all together. I also had a spare 6 pin Molex connector in my parts bin. I bought 6 sealing pins for it to close the holes and then cut them off flush. This way the headset wiring isn’t exposed to the elements should I ever decide to switch back.

The Tour-Pak wiring, all snug and tucked in while the Tour-Pak is removed:

I wasn’t a fan of the brushed silver/black writing six speed emblem in the transmission cover. So, I ordered the gloss black/silver writing one from a standard Street/Road Glide.

And now for some gratuitous fairing shots!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since I’m posting all this in retrospect, I can condense much of the commentary. Part of my initial order with Surdyke was for the stretched bags from a Road Glide Special. I had already received them once but there were two separate issues. One box had been dropped and broke the bag significantly. Shipping insurance covered it, thankfully. The second bag was the right part number on the box but the package had been sent from MOCO with a standard bag inside. About the time this happened, so did COVID-19 and MOCO was shut down for an unknown time. Replacements would be delayed bigly.

Anyway, the damaged bag was mine to do with as I wanted. It ended up working out because it was helpful for my painter to have it to figure out exactly how MOCO painted this color. He was able to use the back of the bag to figure out the Black Sunglo. The rings you see on the first photo of the bag are the different layers of primer, base, candy, clear, etc. Kinda cool.

Which by the way, Black Sunglo is an actual color by itself from another time - not just an accent color on this 2020 paint scheme. Not that it's uncommon for MOCO to recycle paint names for entirely different colors, and no the two Black Sunglo colors are not the same.

Here are the parts I had painted, fresh back from the painter:

At this point, I’ve begun assembly of the CVO rear fender system. I’m overly cautious with the paint, so everything gets covered with 3M Delicate Surface tape as it’s being worked on.

The HD CVO fender kit comes with 6 clips that attach to the fender strut covers - 3 per side.

As for other changes I don't like the stock seat and how far up/forward it pushes me. I like to sit low and back and as much 'into' the bike as I can. Enter C&C Seats....

I had a solo seat, a one piece 2-up seat (SportTour) and matching sissy bar pad made. I also decided to give the riders backrest a try so both seats are made to accommodate a matching rider's backrest.

The TourPak backrest needed attention too, since I will run it both in the 1-up and 2-up location at times. I had the TourPak backrest, wire skirt, and speaker pods redone as well to match.

Here are a few of the TourPak back together. Since I'll never run a CB I had the passenger comm port covered in the left speaker pod; I also removed it entirely meaning 6 less wires. When I did my bars/inner fairing, I added a hidden/in fairing AM/FM antenna. Ditching the long whip was the first thing I did when I got the bike home back on January 31! A 3/8" plug from Ace hardware fit perfect into that hole. I also removed the two antenna wires from the TourPak so that I have less to worry about keeping up of the rear fender and potentially damaging its paint.

Tiny details, but still...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not long after this, the bike was completed. MOCO got the new saddlebag bottoms sent to me in late May/early June. By then, I had already taken care of everything else that was left so adding the bags was pretty quick. It was time to get miles on the bike.

I ran stock (performance-wise) all summer but I had set my sights upon engine work now at some point. I didn’t care about the warranty too much since I have short riding seasons in Colorado and figured if I made it through one season I would be okay. The 114 M8 is no slouch but I wanted more.

Fast forward to October and my season was drawing to an end. Between work and hunting season coming up I knew that I wouldn’t have much time to ride, not to mention that the snow would be flying soon too.

I scheduled some time with Fuel Moto in late summer to bring my bone stock 2020 RGL to them in October for a little love.

My build consists of the following:

Main Components
• FM 128" Big Bore
• FM CNC Level A heads
• FM AC/DC +1" Air Cleaner
• FM Jackpot RTX 2-1 exhaust
• Wood WM8-408 camshaft
• SE 64mm Throttlebody with Ward Manifold
• AIM SDR Clutch
• Dynojet Power Vision Tuner

Supporting Components
• FM EZ Pushrods
• FM 5.5 GPM Injectors
• Wood M8 Alpha Lifters
• S&S Billet Tappet Cuffs
• S&S Headbolts

Before heading to Fuel Moto, I also picked up some parts from Harley:
• Black Lower Rocker Box Covers
• Black Pushrod Tubes
• Black Tappet Covers
• Black Upper Engine Stabilizer

This wasn't my first time working with Fuel Moto. Just like I experienced in times before, the entire Fuel Moto team was top notch. Everything, from planning the build, making small changes, discussing desired outcomes, and even loading up all my old parts was second to none. Jamie, Bob, Tony, Christian, all the others - thank you. Side note - the new Fuel Moto shop is badass too! The dyno room is a sight to behold - I mean, it's just flat out awesome. Seeing all the thought that went into planning sheds light on why Fuel Moto has the reputation it has.

Some thoughts on the process - Fuel Moto has continued to hone their process. Emails and work orders/estimates are exchanged well in advance to ensure that all is correct. About 3-4 weeks out, another email is sent with further considerations for bringing the bike to them. They even go so far as to recommend lodging accommodations at a near by hotel (with which they've secured a special rate) and provide a short list of things to do/see in the area. While my in-laws are nearby and we stayed with them, it's a nice gesture for sure.

End to end, the build time and tuning take about 1.5 days.

As for the end results - a few thoughts...
• The engine is strong and runs so smoothly. It feels so free, revs easily, and it has a very quiet valve train, even with a higher lift cam. And it's still got that refined M8 feeling.
• The RTX 2-1 Exhaust is a thing of pure beauty. The R&D that went into this pipe by the FM team is apparent in aesthetics and performance. At idle, combined with the WM8-408 camshaft, the galloping lope is so nice to hear. It's not obnoxious. Twist the throttle and this pipe will bark nice and loud. At first start up with Bob, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. But on the road, once you've settled into a nice cruising speed, the exhaust really mellows out, with no drone and is quite quiet. But again, hit the throttle and you'll know it's there. Decel growl is absolutely awesome too. There is nothing like a 2-1!
• The WM8-408 camshaft, in this build combo comes on strong nice and low, but has the legs to run strong well past 5500 RPMs combined with the heads. Power is instant and linear and everywhere. It's just awesome.
• Start up is easy, the bike runs much much cooler than the factory form 114" with catted headpipe, and I haven't had any issues thus far with pinging. Jamie even made sure my Power Vision has a second tune loaded on it in case I find myself touring and can't find good gas.

So here's the results - horsepower is practically doubled from stock. The first few tanks of gas are going to go quick!
153.41HP / 150.13TQ

Fuel Moto Exhaust Video

Here is a clean shot of the engine now that it's all blacked out and with the FM Typhoon AC/DC air cleaner cover. Have to say, it too is a quality piece. And there is just a little FM bling on the cylinders. It looks great too!

So now that we’re all caught up, my latest round of parts have arrived. Fuel Moto had its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales event and with two hours left I caved and order some new goodies. They came yesterday and hopefully this weekend I’ll be able to get some time in the garage.

Legend Revo ARC

Legend AXEO Cartridges

That’s all for now. Thanks for reading and following my build!

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
2020 Road Glide Limited Project

Hey everyone. Hope you all like pictures! This thread is one that I’ve shared on the main HDForum, but haven’t really gotten to sharing it here…until now!

In January 2020 I managed to work out a deal on a 2020 Road Glide Limited in Zephyr Blue/Black Sunglo with the blacked-out treatment & RDRS. I had been on the fence between Limited vs Special but when the deal was put before me, it all but made the decision for me. It was the end of the month and the deal I got isn’t even one I would have asked for, thinking it wouldn’t have been possible.

Anyway, whichever option I chose I knew I’d end up changing quite a bit, so here we are. When I got it home in an enclosed trailer it had 6 miles. Snow was flying, so there was no riding it plus they treat our roads with sand which I try to avoid when I can.

Immediately I had my own vision for how I wanted this bike to turn out, and instead of doing pieces here and there I decided to do it all at once. Well, at least for the things I would be doing anyway.

A brief list of the major changes:
• Extended Saddlebags (from the Specials)
• CVO Rear Fender
• CVO Gauges
• Color-matched Inner Fairing w/color matched vent
• HD Wrapped Front Fender
• Factory47 16” Signature Bars
• Magnum Shielding Black Pearl lines (including lower legs)
• Mueller Hydro-Clutch
• Complete Kahuna Collection
• Detached Tour-Pak
• Freedom Shields Sport Touring Shield (Dark Grey, 12”)
• C&C Solo Seat
• C&C SportTour Seat
• C&C Reupholstered Tour-Pak backrest and speaker-pods

Here it is on the showroom floor:

Off with the Tour-Pak and rear fender:

Under the outer fairing – this was my first time inside a 2015+ RG. Quite different from my 2010:

Tank off so I can remove the stock brake lines:

With so many parts coming off, organizing the fasteners is not something to overlook:

A sneak-peak at the color-matched inner fairing:

Pulled the stock front fender so it didn’t accidentally get damaged and hopefully get sold one day:

Inner fairing removed, not a hard job, but takes some time:

Stock bars and lines gone:

About this time, the service manual finally showed up. Something I do right away is visit Fedex Kinkos to have it spiral bound. It’s only about $13 to do and the books lay perfectly flat when working.

Finally to a point where stuff is being put on the bike, not just taken off. The Mueller Hydro-Clutch slave was great in addressing the friction zone, and would end up coming in handy later on too with other planned mods.

The Factory47 bars and the Magnum Shielding kit were the first items ordered. These are Factory47 16” Signature bars, with wires ran and Kahuna heated grips. I also took this as an opportunity to swap over to the lighted switch control modules too:

While all this was going on, I had some pieces powder-coated. Mostly small pieces, but if left chrome they just looked out of place:
• Jiffystand & mount
• Horn bracket
• Rear shift lever
• Solo Tour-Pak mount
• Sissybar Pad Bracket

Finally coming together – just waiting for the CVO Speedo/Tach assembly. Also ditched the honeycomb speaker grills in favor of the HogTunes grills.

Zephyr Blue Vent:

Wrapped front fender installed:

Freedom Sport Touring 12” Dark Grey shield:
Your Glide is shaping up nicely Bro!
Congrats on the awesome upgrades.
Thanks for sharing with Us as You know, "We Love Pics!"
Mike U.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
SAWEEEEEET !! Come on Spring .... nough said.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,481 Posts
Great build thread with just the right amount of detail. To my eyes, Zephyr Blue is the single best new paint color HD has introduced in many a year. Nice job.

Reactions: redbeard719

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,005 Posts
I love how the mods started as soon as it got into the garage. Then you just ramped it up! Very impressive and thorough build, it looks great and that performance must be a tonne of fun.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sweet Glide.
FuelMoto is top notch. No surprise that they're adding on to the 'new' shop already.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Nice job Chad!!!! and here I was feeling guilty on spending money on my new bike.......LMAO

and

You are 1000% correct on that "chrome" kickstand having to go
That FM build is where I will end up, but I'd like to wait a little longer than you did :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
885 Posts
I like what you did, attention to detail and good taste. We'll written and thorough write up! Definitely got me thinking on a few things on my ride

Reactions: redbeard719

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
bike looks fantastic.

quick question on the cvo gauges, did you have to order them with the mileage already input or did the can bus system automatically pick that up? i know on my wife's 2012, we had to order them with the mileage already set, but that was pre-canbus and i have not seen anything from the newer bikes addressing this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the kind words! I'm glad to have helped inspire some of you hopefully!

bike looks fantastic.

quick question on the cvo gauges, did you have to order them with the mileage already input or did the can bus system automatically pick that up? i know on my wife's 2012, we had to order them with the mileage already set, but that was pre-canbus and i have not seen anything from the newer bikes addressing this.
Thanks!

When I ordered the gauges from Surdyke they asked for my mileage. When it arrived there was no mileage reinstatement sticker as I've seen on other speedometers I've replaced. Once I plugged in the gauge it did the mileage countdown from 30 miles before it was married to the bike. I had the same countdown scenario on the multi-color LED Speedo/Tach combo gauge on a Road King and there was no requirement of mileage for pre-programming.

I would say that it's not necessary and that there was confusion when it was ordered. I guess it was better to have more info and not need it than have to go back and forth. But I'm quite positive it's not required.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,005 Posts
bike looks fantastic.

I've read on forums that on these newer bikes, you have something like 32 miles to marry the new gauge to your ECM. It does a countdown and then afterwards, it picks up your old mileage and is married to your bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts