Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
馃憖馃憖馃憖 i mean just 馃憖馃憖馃憖 馃憤馃憣

Registered
nice build on the new bike

Registered
I've read on forums that on these newer bikes, you have something like 32 miles to marry the new gauge to your ECM. It does a countdown and then afterwards, it picks up your old mileage and is married to your bike.
when i did the swap on my wife's 2012, pre-canbus, it did the 32 mile countdown as well.

Reactions: Zedbra

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Time for new pictures of the latest and greatest. This winter has kept me busy with family commitments, but lately I've been able to get some good quality-time in the garage to get things put together.

This latest round includes Legend Revo ARC rear shocks, Legend AXEO front suspension, H-D Prodigy wheels in Bronze, and American Elite tires.

My local dealer had a price of $180 to install wheel bearings. The tool from George's Garage was $190 shipped, so I bought it and did the bearings myself. It was actually fun to do that part.

The tires were a slight challenge, but really it was just more work due to TPMS. I have a No-Mar tire machine, so when I removed the stock wheels, I had to break both tire beads, and pull the tire half way off to remove the TPMS sensors from the factory wheels. They went back together with new rubber valve stems from the bearing kits. Shameless plug, the stock wheels are for sale. 2,951 miles of use and in like new condition.

From there, it was a matter of reinstalling the TPMS sensors / valve stems into the new wheels, then mounting the tires. They're balanced with Dyna Beads, so no unsightly weights.

The rear shocks went in pretty easily. Nothing too exciting but they do look pretty!

Fronts we're easy too, thanks to the Motion Pro fork seal driver. Made seating the new seals a breeze. I used a 100 ml syringe to add the fork fluid - Legend calls for 11 oz, which is 325.3 ml.

One thing though - the fork powdercoating from Harley was complete junk. It's embarrassing, really. I had a couple tiny pits (expected), but the sad part was the flaking off of the coating behind the caliper mounting bolt heads. I figured since everything is apart I might as well get them stripped and re-coated.

To help keep them looking new, I'll be adding Cruz Armor's fork kit as soon as it arrives.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so let me know if you guys got any questions!

I'm anxious for springtime to get here so I can get out and start riding again. We have plenty of snow lurking on shaded spots of the roads and sand everywhere. Yay.

It's a shame to cover up the Legends caps!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Still a gorgeous bike dude.

Hope all is well. Haven't seen ya for a while.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan! All good here, and hope the same for you. I don't usually post daily and tend to lurk. Until I finally got a Rushmore and an M8, I felt like I didn't have much new and exciting to share!

I really do enjoy this forum though, and the group of people that call it home. Glad to have been welcomed here myself and enjoy seeing the ideas others share.

Registered
Thanks for sharing your mods, the details and pics. You hit the nail on the head about the forks. I would suggest doing the fork exchange with Willy Shiny. That鈥檚 what my plan is when I do the front suspension.

Reactions: redbeard719

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Yesterday I finished up the inner primary overhaul.

This project involved a Baker Compensator, G3 Clutch, and Evolution Industries clutch basket. In addition, I had the outer cover stripped and re-powdercoated gloss black.

When done, it fired up effortlessly. I haven鈥檛 ridden it yet, but dropping into 1st while on the jack was butter. And neutral was a breeze as well. Test ride should be tonight after work...!

While maybe not the most glorious mod, it鈥檚 peace of mind.

The difference in components from stock to aftermarket is impressive. The Evo Industries basket is a beast!

And icing on the cake, I got the Trask CheckM8 installed too.

Out with the old.
867F125E-A95E-41F4-AE52-67C6577EE49B.jpeg

Side by side comparison of the baskets and other parts.
D4616C9F-6363-4089-AB45-18E25A9CD4D7.jpeg

In with the new!
660C7225-7433-4A0D-A7BD-67338A3527A0.jpeg

Trask CheckM8.
0D497DDB-A555-47AF-A461-D51C51EA2170.jpeg

Registered
Dude鈥..way to go. What a sweet whip.

Reactions: redbeard719

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I love heavy metal.
Amen, it鈥檚 some pretty craftsmanship for sure!

Dude鈥..way to go. What a sweet whip.
Thanks man! After seeing your impressive build, that is quite a compliment!

What does that clutch and all upgrade do for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My Fuel Moto 128鈥 build is pushing 153hp and 151tq.

That much power can break the stock clutch basket into pieces and when that happens, it鈥檚 not uncommon for really bad things to happen - things like locking up the back wheel instantly, wedging pieces between the compensator and primary case, scissoring the crank and even cracking engine cases.

Now that may be worst case scenario stuff, but it鈥檚 worth it considering how much riding my wife does with me too. I want it to be solid and safe as can be for her sake too.

My main goal was to make the primary drive solid. The clutch basket was fully planned, and the Baker Compensator and G3 clutch were scope creep! Figured if I鈥檓 that far into it, might as well do it all and do it once.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts