Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: Oct 27, 2012 - Conversion begins. Pictures are include in posts below.

Well Gang....this project is starting to come together nicely.

First shipment came last week from New Castle HD. Included many of the brackets and mounts, the nacelle sides, and a few other small things. The outer fairing is still on order, and I hope to have it soon.

Today, all but the right directional mount showed up from Lake Shore, and it will be here tomorrow. All the hardware is here, the inner fairing, CVO windshield kit (Windsplitter, I believe), and all the other small pieces.

I have one big trip planned for this weekend on the CVO Street Glide. After I get back, I hope to have the last few pieces. I've got a small project going on wth my 2003 Heritage Springer, which I hope to wrap up soon (waiting for custom-made parts), and after it's ridable, the Street Glide will be taken apart, and the outer fairing will be taken along with all the raw pieces to Gunslingers Custom Paint (they paint many of the CVO bikes for Harley, including the 2012 and 2013 CVO RGC). They shot my Street Glide inner last winter, and it was perfect.

I've got a few good buddies that will be buying some take offs from me to help ease the pain and expenses, but I will be doing their install work as well...

Bars are in the garage and not included with the boxes below...I went with 17" Carlini Evil Apes, chrome. Tomorrow I expect the J&M Rokker XT's to show up. Found them online for over 30% off MSRP.

It's going to be a while before I have some serious updates, but I'm too excited about all this to keep it to myself!

Until next time...

·
Super Moderator
12,315 Posts
I hope you live in a part of the country where riding season is almost over, looks like you may be down for awhile. Good luck, looking foward to seeing your paint job.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you live in a part of the country where riding season is almost over, looks like you may be down for awhile. Good luck, looking foward to seeing your paint job.
Yup...I'm in Colorado. The bulk of the season is behind us. Once my springer is up again, I'll have something else to keep my knees in the wind on those warmer days. Long distance touring is almost over...I'll probably tear it down in late October.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Happiness is being on a first name basis with the UPS man. lol
Are you kidding me?? Jason ( my ups guy) comes in the garage to see what new project im working on! He tells dispatch he was requested to perform a "customer unload" lol

If i missed it im sorry but since your in Colorado, will you be bringing your glide to swIII?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you kidding me?? Jason ( my ups guy) comes in the garage to see what new project im working on! He tells dispatch he was requested to perform a "customer unload" lol

If i missed it im sorry but since your in Colorado, will you be bringing your glide to swIII?
That's a great question. I checked out the map, and from my location, it's about 685 miles. Easily doable in a day.

I asked my better half is she wanted to go to Shark Week III....she thought I meant for real sharks. Once the laughter subsided, I never really got a straight answer. Hopefully we'll be there. Lost of questionables right now as far as jobs and family commitments, but I really want to make it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The remainder of the big parts showed up yesterday. Last big item was the outer fairing. Also got a shipment in from Lake Shore with a few forgotten items, like the speaker grills. Since I'm selling my old bars to a friend already wired (Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars) and getting his controls in return, I needed to get chrome housings and buttons, and the CVO throttle assembly. All that remains is to tear it down and get things in to paint...

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Are you going to have Gunslingers match the CVO paint? This is something I've always thought would be cool, was taking a CVO streetglide and converting it with matching paint and all. Something to make the streetglide guys go,.. "What the!! They never offered that bike!"

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you going to have Gunslingers match the CVO paint? This is something I've always thought would be cool, was taking a CVO streetglide and converting it with matching paint and all. Something to make the streetglide guys go,.. "What the!! They never offered that bike!"
That's exactly the plan. They've already matched my inner fairing on my CVOSG, so it won't be too difficult. I'll be having them use a little 'artistic freedom' to add pinstriped flames too, as is done on the SG outer fairing. The plan when done, it to have it look as though the bike came from the MOCO as a FLTRXSE.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
That's exactly the plan. They've already matched my inner fairing on my CVOSG, so it won't be too difficult. I'll be having them use a little 'artistic freedom' to add pinstriped flames too, as is done on the SG outer fairing. The plan when done, it to have it look as though the bike came from the MOCO as a FLTRXSE.
Great minds think alike!! Can't wait to see this one done. I was thinking of doing this to the 2012 CVOSG, the green and black one I thought would look killer as a road glide.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great minds think alike!! Can't wait to see this one done. I was thinking of doing this to the 2012 CVOSG, the green and black one I thought would look killer as a road glide.
Yeah, that was another favorite color scheme of mine. Hell, if you're in SW KS, we're not too far apart as to not cross paths, as I'm only 15 minutes north of Co Sprgs. Couple hours ride through the eastern plains for me...might have to see it in person!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yeah, that was another favorite color scheme of mine. Hell, if you're in SW KS, we're not too far apart as to not cross paths, as I'm only 15 minutes north of Co Sprgs. Couple hours ride through the eastern plains for me...might have to see it in person!
Hell yeah man,. we can meet sometime in Trinidad at Black jacks for a steak! That guy can cook one of the best I've ever had,.. worth the trip :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Conversion Begins....

So this past week, the buddy that is buying some of my take offs wanted to get started presuming I was ready to begin removing my Street Glide front end.

We got a good start on his bike and more importantly got his inner off so he could drop it by the painter's.

Time to begin on my CVO SG. I needed to pull my bars (PYOs), mirrors, lower ABS brake line, and a few other small things.

Now that I have my outer fairing off, I'll be bringing that to Gunslingers with the RG pieces for matching. The pinstriped flames will be done on the RG as well. Goal is to have this look like it came off the HD line as a CVO Road Glide Custom.

One last look at the Batwing:

Getting into the guts:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More pictures

Continued, from the max of 6 pictures per post...

Fairing gone:

Prepped for the brake line removal. Everything gets wrapped in painters' plastic. I hate DOT4.

The foundation is laid:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
SWEEEEET!!! I love seeing a street glide butchered!! Even better that its a CVO! Your bike is gonna turn out killer man, excited to see it done.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Very bitchen. I converted my '05 RG to a batwing after about a year... then put it back to an RG last year... It was actually quite easy. I could have made it easier on myself by buying the front harness, but was able to make the RG harness work without any problems at all.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts