Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I often say before putting in my 2 cents worth about things in which I am no expert (which is not in anything..), this is simply my humble truck drivers opinion. Changed the crankcase and tranny oil today in my 2013 RGC from HD Syn3 to Redline. I was expecting an improvement based largely on what I have read on this forum. I was not expecting an improvement to the degree I experienced. I am not trying to sell this stuff to anyone but what a difference. The tranny operates like a completely different machine. Quiet, smooth, less CLUNK. Engine runs noticeably quieter also. Now as a disclaimer I have to say that I have been a diehard Amsoil fan for years and I don't doubt that Amsoil in the crankcase would have been a big improvement also. I will be doin' a SE Texas-Atlanta round trip on the 23rd so we will see what we will see. This forum is awesome. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
I got a fantastic used oil analysis with over 6300 mile drain , my only "issue" is I have to mail order , which is a minor inconvenience

Oil is cheep

JtB

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
As I often say before putting in my 2 cents worth about things in which I am no expert (which is not in anything..), this is simply my humble truck drivers opinion. Changed the crankcase and tranny oil today in my 2013 RGC from HD Syn3 to Redline. I was expecting an improvement based largely on what I have read on this forum. I was not expecting an improvement to the degree I experienced. I am not trying to sell this stuff to anyone but what a difference. The tranny operates like a completely different machine. Quiet, smooth, less CLUNK. Engine runs noticeably quieter also. Now as a disclaimer I have to say that I have been a diehard Amsoil fan for years and I don't doubt that Amsoil in the crankcase would have been a big improvement also. I will be doin' a SE Texas-Atlanta round trip on the 23rd so we will see what we will see. This forum is awesome. :D

I was an Amsoil guy (very good products) until I tried the Red Line. SOLD!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I used the amsoil my 1k service and was impressed and at my 5k service I switched to redline and now I'm really impressed. I'm sold on redline!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I used Redline for my tranny in the beginning. That went all the way back to my 2000 softail.
After I purchased my RG, and a new dealer I had to use, I received poor service with way to high prices which prompted me to go back to servicing my bike.
The choice was easy for me, Redline in all 3 holes.
Shipped to my door, dropped by a friendly UPS man, made the choice a no brainer for me.
The quality of the product just added to my reasons to use Redline.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most of the dealers by me are stocking Redline fluids. It surprized me at first....

My dealer service guys have always recommended it in the tranny for both of my bikes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
For my $0.02, virtually any synthetic beats dinosaur residue and in the long-run, cost is lower to boot. I also think HD is too proud of their synthetic when comparing their cost versus the better results with Redline.

Never tried Amsoil though... can't say how it stacks up but I'm very pleased with Redline so I don't expect to even bother trying another brand.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I also use Red Line in Engine & Tranny. I used it in my primary & was not pleased. My clutch began to slip & when I took it in, the Tech asked me what I was using because it was extremely dirty & burnt. So I went back to HD Formula+ & have not had any problems. I'm sure other guys are using it without problems, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I've been a Mobil 1 user in anything that has a motor. I've just within my last 2 oil changes in my bike I've tried Harley Syn3 and also the Amsoil. I've read alot from all the mention if this Redline oil and figured what do I have to loose and on top of that I have not been mislead by info here. I got to tell ya I am extremely pleases and I am now a convert to this oil. Very happy and very satisfied with its performance in my motor in the last 2k miles. Look forward to see how it works out in the recommended 10k miles before change as per Redline themselves recommends.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
my oil analysis was done at a bit over 6300 miles drain , and the lab recommended going to 8000 this time based on their test results , bout half way there .. I'm gonna sneek up on 10 thou :cool:

JtB

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hey guys i run amsoil in my motor as well,its 20W50, can anybody tell me what wieght the redline is in the motor and tranny?
Tranny is 75/250 but mimics a much lighter weight oil. The motor oil is usually 20/50 or 20/60 for HDs and they have a dedicated Primary Oil. Read here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QFjAB&url=http://www.redlineoil.com/&ei=aQtbUtmUDLbG4AOA9oFA&usg=AFQjCNEMV7jQ3eydh1TPTrHxIAh-Og1Y1Q&sig2=gLytSF7KFLeNMhvhQG0cxA&bvm=bv.53899372,d.dmg

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
I've been using Red Line Oils in my Harley's for a few years now and have been very happy with it.
Engine runs nice, transmission shifts smooth and Primary is quiet.
I usually get Red Line Oil in a Power Pack Kit from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/MotorcyclePowerpacks.
It's going for $104.95 with Free Standard Ground Shipping.
Mike U.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have almost 8k on my RL oil in my '13 RG and it is still light to med brown in color and still thick. My oil pressure is 52-56 on start up and takes around 10 miles to heat up and get to "normal" operating pressure of 42-46. As for the tranny and primary they both have RL in then and operate smoothly. I'm guessing I'll get at least 10k from the engine oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey Mike U Is that kit enough to fill all 3 holes?
Yes, same kit I use and it fills all 3 holes! Each kit also comes with a funnel, I've got a collection going, often give them away to others.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts